Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling air flow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
I saw in a post that if you are not using the cooling (heating really) flappers than you should fix the one over the oil cooler down (i.e. flat against the cooler). This seems like it would cut off flow to the cooler, obviously I just don't understand the system, and so could some one give me a run down on how the air moves around the motor with the stock cooling system in a T -IV?

Also where does the CHT wire go through the tin?

Many thanks

-Pete
Brad Roberts
CHT wire goes thru the tin right near the number 3 spark plug hole.

The flap for the oil cooler has a 1/2 inch gap between it and the fan shroud. Air from fan goes under this gap and supplies air from the bottom of the flap while air on top of the flap goes over the cylinders. If you remove the flap... no/very little air gets "rammed" thru the cooler. The flap directs the cooling air thru the cooler.

Let me find a pic.

B
Brad Roberts
I cant find a pic.. but here is the factory manuel pic..

You can see how the flap is curved. The linkage brings the flap UP when the engine is cold.. so no air gets into the oil cooler or the cylinders. When the engine warms up the flap goes down and some cooling air is routed over the cooler but most of it is routed over the cylinders.

B
trojanhorsepower
Oh Brad you are going to love this.

Some how my CHT is in the wrong head. I don't mean I put it in the wrong head I mean that the hole for it is in the #1 and #2 cylinder head. The hole for the wire is in the tin for cylinders #3 and #4 just like you said. WTF!!

More fun from the PA engine builder form hell.

Please tell me this is OK and I can just plug the hole in the #3/ #4 side and drill a new one in the tin for #1 / #2 side.

PS. What should I use to glue the flap down?

Thanks

-Pete
Brad Roberts
Somebody installed the heads wrong.. they will work on either side. but...

It is a serious pain in the back side to drill and tap that bad boy. I dont personally think you could do it in the car with the tin in place. The area for the sensor is pretty shallow. Trying not to drill thru a head installed on a car would be a challenge. You would need to know the factory depth so you would'nt drill into the intake path/runner.

There is another piece of tin that runs on top of the oil cooler with the rubber sleave that sits on the actual cooler. This piece has two "wings" that run on top of the cooler. When sliding the fan shroud on.. I guide the flap UNDER those two wings. This will keep it down.

B
Brad Roberts
I'm thinking about this. I would almost say.. run a wire from the harness and leave the CHT where it is. You dont live in a brutally hot climate like AZ/NM/TX so the difference between cylinder 3 and cyl 1 would probably be very minimal.

I'll let others chime in on this.

If the engine was out of the car.. I would switch the heads.

B
trojanhorsepower
Well, Brad I think we can blame this one on the moron engine builder in Watha. Now that I think about it is it possible that I put the heads on the wrong side?

-Pete

PS. engine is out of the car and will be for all eternity. I guess I will take it apart one more time!
Brad Roberts
Pete,

I was being nice and not saying anything... laugh.gif I knew DAMN well you had the heads OFF... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sorry. I understand this doesnt come natural for everyone.

Switch the heads. You need valve adjustment practice anyway.

B
trojanhorsepower
Let the shit rain down, I deserve it all. I'll have that head nut torque pattern down in not time.

Grrrrrr ! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

-Pete

I'm going to bed, maybe I won't feel so stupid in the morning.
Bleyseng
Yep, switch the heads and install the CHT before installing the tin! Makes it much easier to hook it up and you don't lose stuff into the cooling fins trying to install the CHT later.

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Like the washer that is supposed to be under the CHT ?? LOL I have lost 1-2 over the years.

We wont smack you around Pete. I know people are here to learn.. and unless people like you ask questions.. nobody learns.

B
Jake Raby
screwing the flap down creates a small scoop to grab the air and shove it into the cooler more. I also RTV the flap down to seal it off. I even create a small aluminum "Trim tab" that can be adjusted for more "Bite" on the air and get more into the cooler. It can be made adjustable from outside the shroud for test purposes.

Makes a big difference in oil temps!
rhodyguy
jake, show a picture of that the next time you make that modification. please.

kevin
Pnambic
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2004, 11:29 AM)
jake, show a picture of that the next time you make that modification. please.

kevin

Yeah, I'd like to see that too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.