Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp Reading
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Today I installed a new 150 C VDO sender and a new wire to the 911 type Oil Temp/Pressure gauge ( Max 300 temp ). The temp along the coast wast 65 or 70 degrees and the engine oil temp was reading 200 - 220.

The oil dipstick thermometer is reading about 20 degrees lower. This seemed more realistic--180 -200 degrees

Was wondering if anyone else had this happen and what you did.
Twystd1
Since you live near the beach.... (I know where you live)

I HOPE the oil temp DOES get above 220 F. Else you will never cook the water out of your oil.

The humididty where you live is high. So as the engine cools down to ambient. The engine pulls moisture to it. And inside the crank case via the breather.

The engine HAS to get to 220 F plus to vaporize the water and vent it to atmosphere.

Ya might want to check your dip stick temp gauge on the stove in a pot with some water. And see how accurate it is/ Hopefully you have a good thermometer in the house you can measure it by.

Udder than that.. I don't know shit... But you knew that already....

Hey Jim....See ya at Joe's on the first and the seventh...!!!!!!!

Clayton
Aaron Cox
taco plate sender?
type47
mismatch between sending unit and gauge?
jim_hoyland
There are two differences between the old and new sender wire: I used one gauge thicker wire and the wire does not have a second covering from the fire wall to the sender.

I put a pot in line with the gauge to see how many ohms makes up 20 degrees, it's like less than 100 maybe 10 or 20 ( my meter is not that sensitive)

I'm thinking the wire is picking up some extra heat and reducing resistance.

Thanks for the tip Clayton; you are right. I try to take the car out for a hard drive a least onec a week. Will see you all Dec 1--weather permitting.

And, did the boilng water test on both sender to gauge and engine dip stick--both read 210 + = in boing water

A 150 C sender maxes at 302 F--I believe the match is correct. Unless-----some 150 C senders have different OHM ranges. Is this possible ?

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.