Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice Needed: Generic Muffler for 4-2-1 header system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I need a little muffler advice for my 2.0L. The car came with some early 1st generation 4-2-1 header system with a Flowmaster 2.5" "40 Series Original" 2 chamber muffler.

IPB Image

The previous owner was a bit of a cheapskate and never hung it properly or installed any sort of tail pipe. This winter I want to straighten it out, replace the muffler, hang it properly and weld on a rear exit exhaust tip.

While doing so, i'd like to swap out the muffler to something a bit quieter. It's definitely too loud on the street, and I highly doubt it will pass sound at Limerock. At higher RPMs sound is also very raspy, don't like it. Even at Pocono, it's too loud to hear my instructor.

There are tons of generic 2.5" mufflers out there, but i've managed to narrow it down to a few Dynomax mufflers.

17733 14" case "sport sound" rated at 410 SCFM (plenty!)

17748 20" case "street sound" rated at 415 SCFM (plenty!)

According to the website they can support 189HP, way more than i need.

I want a muffler where i can hear myself and won't get flagged at limerock. Which would you pick? Both fit. Both are also pretty cheap ($50). Also don't want something too quiet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheer.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
More pics at the end of this set
904svo
Check out a WALKER 22385 this is the muffler thats used on the Bursh system.
yarin
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 23 2007, 11:19 PM) *

Check out a WALKER 22385 this is the muffler thats used on the Bursh system.

I couldn't find anything on their site for the 22385, but I emailed them. Looks like anything that flows decently would be in their dynomax brand.

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/Super_Turbo_pgs192-197.pdf

I like the fact that they list their flow ratings. Any idea what flow rating I need for my application? Someone bust out a few equations. driving.gif
azbill
I'm using a Dynomax Super Turbo #17731 muffler on a hot 2056. It is quiter then a Bursch glass pack and dosen't overly resterict exhaust flow. It is not as quite as the Bursch street muffler.

Bill
yarin
QUOTE(azbill @ Nov 24 2007, 12:42 AM) *

I'm using a Dynomax Super Turbo #17731 muffler on a hot 2056. It is quiter then a Bursch glass pack and dosen't overly resterict exhaust flow. It is not as quite as the Bursch street muffler.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Do you have pictures of your install? Any sound or video clips? I have a feeling i'm going to go with a dynomax muffler, just not sure which one yet.

Thanks
yarin
I narrowed down my selection to two mufflers from Dynomax.

17733 14" case "sport sound" rated at 410 SCFM (plenty!)

17748 20" case "street sound" rated at 415 SCFM (plenty!)

According to the website they can support 189HP, way more than i need.

I want a muffler where i can hear myself and won't get flagged at limerock. Which would you pick? Both fit. Both are also pretty cheap ($50). Also don't want something too quiet.

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/superturbo.pdf

Any suggestions?
ChrisFoley
The 14"muffler is probably similar in sound to the standard muffler that comes with a Bursch collector. If you have room for the 20" length, I would go for the quieter muffler. I think you'll still be able to hear the engine. smile.gif
yarin
Thanks for the advice Chris!

Do you think there is any flow difference between the 14" and 20"? I can fit the 20" no problem, might look a bit funny with a big muffler hanging down, but it will fit. smile.gif

I can't believe how cheap these things are... $54 for the 20" from Amazon with free shipping. Hope this thing lasts more than a year...
ChrisFoley
Hard to say if there would be a meaningful hp difference betweeen the two. Probably not much anyway.
I don't think it'll rot out that fast. The low price is based on the fact that they spit those things out by the thousands, using highly automoted processing.
Just don't expect any performance gains.
yarin
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 26 2007, 01:51 PM) *

Hard to say if there would be a meaningful hp difference betweeen the two. Probably not much anyway.
I don't think it'll rot out that fast. The low price is based on the fact that they spit those things out by the thousands, using highly automoted processing.
Just don't expect any performance gains.

Sounds good to me. I don't expect any gains, just don't want much of a loss from where I am now. I don't think the muffler will rot, but I hear that fiberglass filled mufflers has a tendency to burn out after a while.

Thanks for the advice. I'll order the 20" slap it on over the next month or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.