Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need source for slip joint exhaust parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I'm also looking for parts to repair the slip joints of my 4-2-1 header system I described in the other thread.

Based on the pics, it's obvious that at some point in time I had an exhaust leak (it's also obvious that I Was running rich....). I posted previously about an off throttle low rpm decel situation that leads to a huge BANG of a backfire. Could a leak this far down the system cause such a condition? I checked the stub pipes, and gaskets, everything seems tight.

What I really would like to do with help from my welding buddy is weld shut the existing collector pictured here, and cut/weld in a new slip joint pipe.

IPB Image

Leaks like this also lead me to believe my wideband O2 readings are skewed but to an exhaust leak upstream of the sensor. I want to patch all of that up and see what my AFR numbers look like.

Do I even want a slip joint coupler? Should I go with a flange type junction? Or just weld the damn thing shut?

Anyone know where I can get parts? Maybe a motorcycle header system, I believe some use slip joints.

Thanks

iamchappy
I purchased some from these guys.

http://stores.ebay.com/Verocious-Motorspor...7QQftidZ2QQtZkm
SGB
I woud try patchin' it up if it will hold a weld It is an elaborate collector system- like a Chris Foley Tangerine style or sumpin....

You are even in his part of the country,
Twystd1
Don't weld em....!!!!!

You wont get em back on if you take em off. Been there...Done that.

Those joints don't typically leak. HHHmmmmm...

Jeff hail posted a product made by WORTH that is MADE for those slip joints to keep them sealed up. (And you can take em apart afterwords)

PM Jeff for more data. He is a VERY smart fella. And he knows some gooood stuff...

Clayton
SGB
well I meant weld up the holes, but I am confused aparaently. i didn't know anyone ever marketed an exhaust with a slip joint like that, well,,, OK. wow. I been schooled now Do Chris's have slip joints?
yarin
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 24 2007, 12:19 AM) *

well I meant weld up the holes, but I am confused aparaently. i didn't know anyone ever marketed an exhaust with a slip joint like that, well,,, OK. wow. I been schooled now Do Chris's have slip joints?

I don't believe Chris's have slip joints. I think the female end of one joint loosened up a bit, that pipe is a bit too short as well, it rests 1/2" from full contact without any pressure on it. The PO installed the stub pipes out of sequence so the entire thing is a little off. My plan was to cut the runners with issues and realign/extend.
Twystd1
I will bet ya that if set up the stubs in the appropriate port. THEN put your pipes together. AND you use the right hanger. It will fit nice and snug. Just takes some time and figuring out.

When you pull you pull your stubs and pipes. FLAT file ALL of the mating surfaces until they are true. That makes a huge difference in sealing.

Let us know how it goes.

NOTE: Jake sells the best copper head to flange rings.. PERIOD. And no they aren't the same as all the rest. Very nice pieces.

Clayton
yarin
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 24 2007, 02:08 AM) *

I will bet ya that if set up the stubs in the appropriate port. THEN put your pipes together. AND you use the right hanger. It will fit nice and snug. Just takes some time and figuring out.

When you pull you pull your stubs and pipes. FLAT file ALL of the mating surfaces until they are true. That makes a huge difference in sealing.

Let us know how it goes.

NOTE: Jake sells the best copper head to flange rings.. PERIOD. And no they aren't the same as all the rest. Very nice pieces.

Clayton

When I installed the exhaust two years back and tried to bolt everything up there wasn't a chance in hell of getting everythign lined up because the PO had the stub pipes installed out of sequence. I reordered them correctly, then connected everything together. I believe that the PO had forced everythign together and over time the pipes conformed to a new incorrect shape. It's not that far off, but I'd like to straighten it out this winter.

Thanks for the copper ring tip, i'll be sure to order from jake and replace everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.