Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External Oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I'm debating on adding an external oil cooler for my track/autoX 914. I really don't drive it on the street that much at all. I found a few different kits available, mostly from CBperformance. My question is, do I really need a fan on the cooler?

Will this suffice? http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=234 Does this kit replace the stock cooler or utilize a spin on filter adapter?

Or do I need something like this? http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=228

To be honest, I want to just take precautionary measures to keep oil temps down. I don't have an oil temp gauge yet, only digital head temp. Head temps run pretty hot on occasion, so I figured bringing oil temps down a bit couldn't hurt. Yea yea.. .i can already hear Jake saying it.. solve the head temp issue, find out why its running hot, etc etc.. I'm going to address that via tuning this spring.

Thanks

SirAndy
get a front mounted cooler with plenty of air flow. that way, you won't need a fan ...

make sure you run a thermostat as close to the engine as possible ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: my 3.6L does not have a build in oilcooler on the engine, all i run is the front mounted cooler. no fan. no overheating trouble ...
yarin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 24 2007, 11:16 PM) *

get a front mounted cooler with plenty of air flow. that way, you won't need a fan ...

make sure you run a thermostat as close to the engine as possible ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: my 3.6L does not have a build in oilcooler on the engine, all i run is the front mounter cooler. no fan. no overheating trouble ...

Would like to run a front cooler, but I'm going for the simple rear mount install. Engine is a 2.0L with mild headwork, nothing fancy.
Jake Raby
First off- Oil temp is NOT engine temp.. You can fry your heads before the oil temps ever elevate, or you can boil the oil with mediocre temp heads..

Yes, solve those hot head temp issues before you even worry about the oil temps.. The hot heads will do more damage in 5 minutes than hot oil will do in several hours of run time.

I have seen engines that do not need oil coolers experience elevated oil temps when the cooler is added.

The key is to monitor the oil and head temps as well as oil pressure and add a cooler IF it is needed.

The key is tuning and keeping fan and engine intake temps down and proper tuning. Tuning is everything.

If you do go with a cooler look into the single fan pack unit from Setrab, it does a better job than anything else and is smaller and very tough- IF you need it.
DanT
lots of places to mount a cooler, but none of them are as efficient as a front mounted cooler. The more track events you do the more likely you are to need a well engineered and placed cooler.
engine lid, under the trunk floor will possibly afford you minimal increase in cooling. How much is your motor worth to you as you go to the track more?

Take Andy's advice a come up with a way to put one up front...it doesn't really take a whole lot more to do it the most efficient way.

check out this thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=47338&hl=
DanT
finished product
hwgunner
Here is mine, no fan!
Jake Raby
I avid front mounted coolers on engines with wet sump oiling.. Most pumps won't keep up with the extra distance vert well (including my current line up of pumps)

Coolers that are able to be installed into the cooling air strem don't need fans and most of the time fans can be a detriment to these coolers.

I favor the under trunk area in the rear with the fan pack setrab spaced off the trunk about 2".... This keeps oil lines shorter and less sediment from being collected in the cooler due to less oil pressure being present within the cooler. Coolers make good filters if they are not flushed at EVERY oil change....

My 914 DTM is also very effective at ending head temperature elevations, thats what it was designed for/
yarin
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 25 2007, 11:51 AM) *

I avid front mounted coolers on engines with wet sump oiling.. Most pumps won't keep up with the extra distance vert well (including my current line up of pumps)

Coolers that are able to be installed into the cooling air strem don't need fans and most of the time fans can be a detriment to these coolers.

I favor the under trunk area in the rear with the fan pack setrab spaced off the trunk about 2".... This keeps oil lines shorter and less sediment from being collected in the cooler due to less oil pressure being present within the cooler. Coolers make good filters if they are not flushed at EVERY oil change....

My 914 DTM is also very effective at ending head temperature elevations, thats what it was designed for/

Sounds good to me. What about mounting the cooler several inches from the firewall extending about 2" below the floor line. A custom duct could be constructed to feel the top 1/2 of the cooler. This would supply a fresh stream of cool air to the cooler. Anyone ever try this? Ground clearance is certainly the first concern, depends on the application. For 100% street driving, might be a bad idea depending how low the car is. Then again, if it isn't lower than the tuna can a cooler slightly higher might work. I haven't measured anything, just thinking out loud. comments?

thanks jake
yarin
2nd question: At what point does external cooling quality the removal/bypass of the stock oil cooler? This step eliminates the usage of the restrictive sandwich plate. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jake Raby
removing the stock cooler imbalances the stock design of the blower housing. The shroud and all its characteristics were designed with the cooler in the air flow, removing it= imbalance.

The proper way to install the external cooler is with my full flow oil system mods that include omiting the stock oil filter housing and re routing 100% of the oil through the cooler and external filter. Sandwich adaptors and etc are very ineffective at routing the oil to the cooler since the stock oil pressure relief will dictate the amount of volume that gets routed to the cooler.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 24 2007, 08:39 PM) *

If you do go with a cooler look into the single fan pack unit from Setrab, it does a better job than anything else and is smaller and very tough- IF you need it.

Hey Jake,
Do you have a specific model (part number) recommendation?
Marty
Tominator
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...039&cartid=

I think this is the one
McMark
I think a rear mounted cooler will work fine for your situation (if you need one). You can always add a fan underneath it later. A front mounted oil cooler would be overkill at this point. Do you have a deep sump?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.