Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut dust cover tube removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I have a front end clunk I'm trying to fix. I was told it might be the upper nut/retaining ring inside the strut dust cover cap/tube. How do I remove it?

It's number 25 in this diagram
hwgunner
My recolection is that it comes right off once you un-bolt the top of the insert and drop the A-arm/strut down. It is just slipped on there. beerchug.gif
rmital
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Nov 25 2007, 07:12 PM) *

My recolection is that it comes right off once you un-bolt the top of the insert and drop the A-arm/strut down. It is just slipped on there. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
just did this...I replaced the strut inserts. They were the cause of my "clunk", not the dust cover.
Hammy
And as for my alignment...?
Allan
QUOTE(Hammy @ Nov 25 2007, 05:58 PM) *

As long as you just remove the single strut retaning nut and don't loosen the allen screws around it the alignment will be fine.
toon1
Just for good measure, check the wheel bearings. I had the same thing with mine, turned out it was the bearings.

How's the engine running?
Hammy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 25 2007, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Nov 25 2007, 05:58 PM) *

As long as you just remove the single strut retaning nut and don't loosen the allen screws around it the alignment will be fine.

Cool. Thanks !

Just for good measure, check the wheel bearings. I had the same thing with mine, turned out it was the bearings.

How's the engine running?

I'll check them too, but the noise does seem to be coming from up in the strut cover.
Overall the engine is running great, a much better car to drive now compared to my previous carbed engines. I still have the idle issues but thats about it. Yesterday though I did have a CV joint completely unscrew itself from the trans and popped off as I merged... scared the hell out of me biggrin.gif
jimtab
Get DrEvil's kit and wire those suckers up....
Hammy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Nov 25 2007, 09:16 PM) *

Yeah, I'm planning to. I just don't get how a 1.7 is loosening them up confused24.gif
toon1
QUOTE(Hammy @ Nov 26 2007, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Nov 25 2007, 09:16 PM) *

Yeah, I'm planning to. I just don't get how a 1.7 is loosening them up confused24.gif

BTDT, It happens, I will be around Sat. if you want to come by and check out the idle issues
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.