Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have any pix of a 914 with talbot mirrors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
IPB Image

This style. I have seen lots of 356s with these, but not 914s. These are a little early (time-line wise) for the 914, but I like 'em. I have not seen anyone running these. If you have pix, can you please post?

If not these, then what's a good alternative? I like the talbot in black, more than the chrome if that helps.

TIA.
LarryR

The talbots look sweet. I had a set on my 67 911. However, I am not sure if those would look right on a 914. The stock mirror fits the body lines perfectly on a 914.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 25 2007, 08:32 PM) *

The talbots look sweet. I had a set on my 67 911. However, I am not sure if those would look right on a 914. The stock mirror fits the body lines perfectly on a 914.

That is exactly why I am asking Larry.
Mr.C
Not very clear, but here is one. Also in my avater.....ignore Barney.
euro911
Wow, sure changes the 'look' of the car, doesn't it ... poke.gif

laugh.gif
Mr.C
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2007, 08:54 PM) *

laugh.gif

Heh bootyshake.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2007, 08:54 PM) *

laugh.gif

slap.gif

KaptKaos
QUOTE(Mr.C @ Nov 25 2007, 08:50 PM) *

Not very clear, but here is one.

I was hoping for one of the side or 3/4s. You're right. Too hard to tell from that pic.

QUOTE(Mr.C @ Nov 25 2007, 08:50 PM) *

Also in my avater.....ignore Barney.

Yeah, like that's possible laugh.gif
woobn8r
I have 2 sets....one (currently black) that will be painted body colour, and another set in chrome....

They are not on the car at this point in my refurb, but one set will be...

I sent a couple of Talbot Berlins to ScottyB (with a different type base, 333 I think)....I don't know what he was going to put them on though.

Carrera916
Hi Joe,

I had the exact same thought for long time and was planning to check it out on my car someday. I have a old Talbot from restoring 356 back then and if I recalled correctly, I noticed the bottom part of the "footing" may not flush or land correctly onto the 914 door. It's been a long time and I have not got around to try it as I got a bigger headache to deal.....BUILD THE ENGINE! headbang.gif

so I hope someone would chime in with a better view....then we can judge together! beerchug.gif

j
Gustl
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 26 2007, 05:29 AM) *

If you have pix, can you please post?

the ONS car (ex. '71 Monte GT) had them

Gustl
here's one with the ONS-style paint
KaptKaos
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 25 2007, 09:33 PM) *

I have 2 sets....one (currently black) that will be painted body colour, and another set in chrome....

I'd do mine in black. I don't know if it can be mounted in the stock location, or at least near to it.

Oh and Danke Wolf.

Not sure I like them out on the fenders.

While I want them for their looks, I also want them functional. I'd only run a driver side mirror anyway.
thesey914
Talbots on a 914.. barf.gif
Mr.C
Ok, found the others. And yes, I know it's rough. That is the condition I found it in and how it currently sits. I haven't decided yet to keep it or sell, since I'm already commited to my first 914 project.
woobn8r
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 26 2007, 07:57 AM) *

Talbots on a 914.. barf.gif

I dunno,...the factory ones look, well....cheap. And the 911 flag mirrors look so '80's (and fat)...the aero mirrors right up beside the 1/4 window dont look right either....maybe more suited to a japanease car...so what's left?

I think the talbot type mirrors can look good if they are the correct size and located in the "right" spot. They shouldn't draw attention and stick out (aesthetically speaking) that's why I will expiriment with painting them body colour, but black would have the same effect. The mid seventies were a time when many auto manufacturers were deleting chrome anyways.

I've seen alot worse additions (some aftermarket wings, flares, scoops, vents, wheels...etc) to 914s.
thesey914
I think the stock mirrors are a work of art. Perfect shape for the sqaure 914. The only other mirror i've seen that looks good is the 911/912 Durant mirror.

IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 26 2007, 03:37 PM) *
I think the stock mirrors are a work of art. Perfect shape for the sqaure 914.

agree.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 25 2007, 09:40 PM) *
here's one with the ONS-style paint

Side note: I had to buy a new cover to throw over the 914 'parts car' I got from Scott (the only way my wife would let it remain here on the property). Low and behold, it had lumpy mirror pockets half-way between the windshield and front bumper on each side ... couldn't figure why WTF.gif ... I guess its for a car with fender mounted mirrors dry.gif

QUOTE(Mr.C @ Nov 25 2007, 08:58 PM) *
Heh bootyshake.gif

I meant to infer that "it makes the car look, um ... much uh, faster ..." idea.gif

Pay me no nevermind screwy.gif ... just poke.gif -in' a little fun
biggrin.gif
Rand
I like the late-model RX7 mirrors.
914-8
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 26 2007, 06:37 AM) *

I think the stock mirrors are a work of art. Perfect shape for the sqaure 914. The only other mirror i've seen that looks good is the 911/912 Durant mirror.

IPB Image

I agree, too.

The shape is perfect, the stainless steel is a perfect match for the car and the other trim, and most importantly, the scale/size is perfect.
scotty b
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 25 2007, 09:33 PM) *

They are not on the car at this point in my refurb, but one set will be...

I sent a couple of Talbot Berlins to ScottyB (with a different type base, 333 I think)....I don't know what he was going to put them on though.

Those are going on a 356, and I still need to get with you about those.... unsure.gif
Dinobx
Hey Rand, I know this was an old post, but I thought I'd try reaching you anyway. I agree with you about the look of the Mazda RX7 mirrors. I also like the chrome mirrors if there's lots of other chrome trim. In your case, they look great with the black trim.

Did you have to do any shaping of the base of the Mazda mirrors to make them fit the contour of the 914 door? I can't tell from the pic you posted.

Thanks.

Dino

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 26 2007, 03:36 PM) *

I like the late-model RX7 mirrors.

nsyr
The base of the mirror has to be shaped a little bit to fit the contour of the door. Easily done with a grinding wheel or angle grinder. The car in the pic is mine taken about 8 or 9 years ago. The car is currently undergoing a color change.
KaptKaos
Thanks for the necro-bump.

I never did get talbots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.