Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: www.911pcar.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jridder
www.911pcar.com Who's dealt with them before? I'm looking for a transaxle for my V8 914 and am considering a 930 or G50/52 (yah I know - it doesn't fit easily but I would really prefer a trans with decent shifting). They seem to have prices that are a little too good to believe. They don't list current inventory, but supposedly what they've sold in the past. $3500 for a G50/52 with 14K miles, $2000 for a 930 with 34K miles.

Actually, their website is very confusing and I just noticed that all of the items with prices are listed under "SOLD". Of course, a bunch of the lisitings under "SOLD" ask you to call for the price, which makes no sense.

BTW, what's the deal with using a G50 in a mid engine car. Do they have to be run upside down, like in an Ultima? Or can the R&P be moved to the other side? I suppose I could go with a dry sump system to get the engine lower (which would make more room for the fuel injection on the top) but would rather not.

Jonathan
Jeroen
Did you consider a WEVO 915 box? Or is your V8 too big for that?
I think it would cost close to the same, but it's a lot cleaner install

The G50 will need to be installed upside down (can't flip the R&P)
You need to take care of the lubrication of the tranny (because it's upside down)
And you'll have to fab a shifter mechanism or go for a cable shifter setup www.brandwoodcars.com

I'm sure other will chime in on this thread...

cheers,

Jeroen
drew365
Regarding L.A.Dismantlers; The web site makes them look larger than they are. It's really just a small yard. I drove by it twice before I found it. Both times I needed a part I couldn't get anyone to call me back so I drove over there. Probably my little part needs don't get much attention. You might have better luck buying a gear box.
Brad Roberts
I have bought from them. You have to deal with them in person and want a engine or tranny. They really dont sell trinket Porsche stuff and they only have one Porsche guy that know's his stuff and he runs another business next door so they have to track him down each time you need something.

The 930 box wont shift any better. It will handle ANY engine you put in front if it.. but only the G50 shifts better (Borg-Warner style sliders/synchro's) Yout cant flip the ring gear in a G50 and nobody makes a new R+P so you can flip it. It runs about 5500$ to flip a 930 box after purchasing one (800-1000$) and then all the machine work and replacing all the worn parts..then shift linkage/HYD clutch...axles/CV's...5500$

The 915 flips with little/no machine work.

B
jridder
Well, I think the 915 is out. The ratios are poor for a V8 and it's torque capacity is still wanting. I think I'd rather put the money in a dry sump system than all the machine work for the 930.

So if I wanted to buy a G50/52 (or maybe a G50/50 would be better since I think its a little shorter) how would I know if the used one I got was OK? I don't want to buy one and then have to get it rebuilt (no doubt for several $1000's).
SP9146
Isn't the pre-1987 Turbo gearbox a 915 4-speed? I would think perfect for you in terms of mounting, torque capacity and gearing.
Brad Roberts
Negative. All Turbo's up until the C2 Turbo in 91/2 had a 930 4 speed box in them. A lot of people with turbo's yanked the 4 speed and replaced it with a 915 5 speed however.

Ridder,

I would try and use a 88 G50 from a Carrera (which I had for sale for 8-10 months. for 1500$) Most of the G50's are still in good shape. You shouldnt have a problem locating one.

Also.. on the Ultima note. We have a local builder of the Ultima. He is in Morgan Hill. English fellow.

Oh.. BTW. The G50 ratios are not correct either. The Ultima gets away with the box because they run 17inch+ wheels with a fairly tall tire.

B
Mueller
Hey B,

Speaking of the Ultima shop in Morgan Hill (which I've been to, to drool over the Ultima in person), think our other "buddy" has joined this site?? smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Ha ha. I doubt it. I could look for his email address in the database...LOL

B
Mueller
Nice guy, lot's of knowledge/connections, too bad he took you being an a-hole too personally and couldn't take a joke, LOL
jridder
>BTW. The G50 ratios are not correct either

Ratios according to various web sites (with final drive):
1 - 9.50
2 - 5.49
3 - 3.76
4 - 2.74

G50/50 and G50/52
1 - 10.86
2 - 6.16
3 - 4.37
4 - 3.33
5 - 2.60

Jonathan
Jeroen
The '89 turbo had a 5 speed box (G50/50 IIRC). This was the last "impact bumper" model of the turbo.
Before that they all had the 930 4 speed

A stock G50 (from '87 through '89 on the 3.2 carrera's) has a real f-in short first gear (even for a stock 3.2)

cheers,

Jeroen
redshift
The only gearbox I would ever want to use in another V8 conversion, is a ZF.

I think it's a much better choice than dumping $12k in a fantasy box. I had a 72 Pantera for about a month, it'd fit fine, and take 1000hp "Mikeys".

Oh yeah, it's only ever going to cost you around $2k for a full rebuild too. (diy)

Yep.

M
redshift
Antidisestablishmentarianism
redshift
Undisturbmentery
jonwatts
agree.gif

And you get to do away with those pesky CV joints in favor of U-joints!! laugh.gif

Are ZF boxes easy to come by?
redshift
I dunno how easy, I have seen several every year, and afaik, they are available somewhere NOS.

I have seen maybe 3-4 (casually looking) in the last year, from maybe $1000-$1800.. I dunno bout condition.

M
redshift
Hey..

http://www.panteraparts.com/

07100A 3 Transaxle ass'y complete, type 1 $9,750.00
07100B 3,4 Transaxle ass'y complete, type 2 $12,600.00
07100C 3 Transaxle ass'y rebuilt, w/bellhsng $6,195.00
07100D 3 Transaxle ass'y rebuilt, w/o bellhsng $5,500.00
07100R 4 Transaxle ass'y rebuilt 3.77:1 $9,000.00
07100P 4 Transaxle ass'y rebuilt 4,22:1 $5,900.00
07100R 4 Rebuild Transaxle, Basic $1,900.00

So, rebuild+a box maybe around $5k, you supply, they build.

oops... meant 5

M
Brad Roberts
That ZF box would be hanging out the back of the car..

Thanks for the info Jeroen on the 1989. I didnt recall the last CIS Turbo to have a G50-50.

FYI: the current racing transmissions for Porsche are based on the G50-50 box (Carrera Cup/GT3RS)

A V8 914 with a 22inch tall rear tire will do 45 mph in first gear at 6k RPM with the 930 speed.

"_________________________________36 mph ________________________ G50 5 speed"

I have driven a lot of cars with the 930 box. The ratios are just right with the torque of any decent built SBC

B
redshift
Uhhh ^ ....

No... I am pretty sure that is the six-speeder that would hang out... I am looking for a second set of data one moment please..

http://www.panteraplace.com/Pantera%20Pics...s/Koch%20ZF.jpg

M
redshift
In fact, it's what Rich should have used in the Alien..

http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Ko...ch%20UC%201.jpg

M
Brad Roberts
Here I can prove MYSELF wrong with this pic..

This is going into a V8 914 (semi tube car)

B
redshift
=o0

oh my

m

oh and look at thois mayun

http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Fa...Fasola%2015.jpg
Carrera916
Guys...

What's with Ultima shop? Transmission speciality?

j
redshift
Ok, new fantasy 914 for me... that in my 914. I just decided.

Ultima makes a streetable race car for people who have fighter jets as a hobby..

M
Brad Roberts
The Ultima guy assembles race cars and Ultima's. He doesnt do anything special with tranny's as far as I know.

B
Brad Roberts
I cropped this one down.. it is not my car and I dont even know if I should be showing these pics.. This is the current engine config...

B
boxstr
A few people post on the Por-chev site that claim to have the Pantera gearbox in there 914-V8. Most claim that cost for the box is $6500. I believe that is a used price.
I have read many differing opinions on the 901,915, 930 and G50 gerbox in the 914-V8. Sounds to me that this is the weak link in the converion. I would want to run which ever box has the reputantion from actual use in other cars of being the "bulletproof" setup.
The 901 box can be had fairly inexspensively and you could beef those up and throw them at your V8 conversion all month long for what one Pantera box will cost you, plus a rebuild.
The 915 has gotten some very good press from 914 V8 owners. I have not read to much about the G-50 or Turbo box being used.
It seems to me that one thing I have read is that first gear is not used in the five speed boxes. So,that would make me think that the Turbo four speed box would be the optimum box to use. Rebuild and drive.
CCLINSHIFTINGGEARS
redshift
blink.gif

ok, my name is miles, and i have lusted for a completely sorted out v8 914 with the top picture on it..

http://www.inglese.com/chevroletv8.htm

forever..

M
Brad Roberts
The 915 does not work well in my book unless you spend big money on custom ratios. I have also seen 3-4 people break them after 2-3 years of use behind a V8. I have never seen anyone break a 930 box in a V8 config. The factory used the 930 box in 24hour leman racing putting 900+ HP thru them.. the weak link back then was the CV joints.

Side by side cost comparison between a ZF and a 930 box.. I bet the ZF Pantera box is the way to go. You elminate starter/ring gear issues/you elminate clutch issues.. and the linkage would be easier to fab.

I like it.

B
redshift
Finally, I have avenged my complete stupidity of a week ago!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.