Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crush Washer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Changed my oil temp sender and noticed the crush washer is pretty flat. Had to tighten the sender pretty good to almost-stop an oil leak.

Does the crush washer need replacement after boing used once or twice ?

Any easy sources for these from flaps ?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 26 2007, 10:08 PM) *

Changed my oil temp sender and noticed the crush washer is pretty flat. Had to tighten the sender pretty good to almost-stop an oil leak.

Does the crush washer need replacement after boing used once or twice ?

Any easy sources for these from flaps ?

It's like the crush washer on the oil drain plug, or the screen plate - good for one use only, or they will either leak or cause you to over-torque (niether of which is good).

Should be able to find them at any VW dealer...or there's always Uncle George.
type47
busdepot has them for about 6 cents apiece....... in a lot of 100! share with some friends biggrin.gif
Cevan
My local Porsche dealer said the oil drain plug sealing ring was NLA. The parts guy looked up the washer based on the size (12x18) and I used one from an Audi. It was made of aluminum. I've never seen a crush washer on an oil drain plug for any vehicle I've owned. They're usually aluminum or bronze flat washers.

The washers for the two screws holding the oil temp sender plate are true crush washers in that they actually get crushed, appear to be made of copper. They were about 10 cents each at the dealership.
Cap'n Krusty
I can't think of a single application on an Audi that uses a crush washer, and I've been working on them for 34 years. The Cap'n
2-OH!
Jim:

One time use...

Call Dennis at ZIMS, 800-356-2964, he has them or will get them...

2-OH!
bperry
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 27 2007, 10:07 AM) *

busdepot has them for about 6 cents apiece....... in a lot of 100! share with some friends biggrin.gif

$6 for 100 would be a no-brainer bargain.
The only thing I'm seeing is 61 cents each in lots of 100. ($61.31 for 100)
Bus Depot Seal Washers

Am I missing something?

I have gotten them before from FLAPs. Just showed them the size and they took me in
the back parts area and I picked one that was close enough to work.
I have also bought them from jiffy lube in past.
Typically cost about $1.00 or so.
You might give that a try.

--- bill
Cevan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 27 2007, 02:20 PM) *

I can't think of a single application on an Audi that uses a crush washer, and I've been working on them for 34 years. The Cap'n

I didn't say it was a crush washer. I used a 12x18 flat aluminum washer from an Audi for the oil drain plug sealing ring. Did Porsche use a crush washer here or a flat washer?

Maybe I'm confusing the two. The crush washers on the Tace plate deform after you tighten them. They are not flat.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cevan @ Nov 27 2007, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 27 2007, 02:20 PM) *

I didn't say it was a crush washer. I used a 12x18 flat aluminum washer from an Audi for the oil drain plug sealing ring. Did Porsche use a crush washer here or a flat washer?

Maybe I'm confusing the two. The crush washers on the Tace plate deform after you tighten them. They are not flat.

Oil drain plug and sump washers are crush washers. VW/Audi water cooled engines use flat copper washers, although some people substitute aluminum. Crush washers are thin metal (Al or Cu) with what appears to be an asbestos filler. The seam always goes toward the bolt head. (Sometimes it's difficult to see.) We use a crush washer because the sump will accept only limited torque (11 ft lbs) and a flat washer is likely not to seal at that level. Same for the 6mm washers on the "taco plate".

The Cap'n
Cevan
I learned something new. Will this work?
type47
QUOTE(bperry @ Nov 27 2007, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 27 2007, 10:07 AM) *

$6 for 100 would be a no-brainer bargain.
The only thing I'm seeing is 61 cents each in lots of 100. ($61.31 for 100)
Bus Depot Seal Washers

Am I missing something?

no, i mis-remembered the price, sorry..... 6 something.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.