Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console... Tired of Searching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beamer13
Ok, so I've been looking for a center console for my 74 since I got it. Had one in the parts car that I purchased, but guy I bought it from, snagged it out of the car the day that I went to pick it up!!! ar15.gif After telling me that I might as well buy the car since I was looking to get the console and a couple other parts off of it and he was going to charge me $200 for the console. I bought it and he snagged the console saying he sold it the day before I bought!!! mad.gif Well, I decided to hell with it, I'm going to make my own custom console. Here are some pics of my progress
Click to view attachment
Beamer13
Click to view attachment
Beamer13
Click to view attachment
Beamer13
Click to view attachment
Beamer13
Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Nov 26 2007, 10:15 PM) *
... I bought it and he snagged the console saying he sold it the day before I bought!!! mad.gif ...

He started taking parts off the car after you made the deal ? ... shades.gif
Is this somebody we should all be made aware of confused24.gif

Since I don't know the whole story, I'll keep my thoughts to myself

Nice job on the console so far though. I was planning to build one for a 912 when its time to redo the interior. Keep us updated beerchug.gif
roadster fan
That looks really nice. When I started looking at the drivers side I thought I remembered that the side needs to kickback towards the middle of the car so your foot doesn't get in the way or vice versa.

I found this link about the measurments. I know, a little to late to help you this time but it looks like you have enough material left maybe if you want to try it. Also the photo attached references the area I am refering to.

Hope this helps, the console looks nice, you do nice work.

center console measurements

Click to view attachment

Jim
Beamer13
Yes he did take it out after we made the deal. The story goes, I went to buy parts, asked specifically for the console. He showed me the console in the parts car and told me price. I had to convince wife it was good idea to get parts car. She agrees, I call him on a Friday to say I'll take the car, ( he didn't remember me at first) Then he realizes who I am, and he immediately says that he sold the console 2 days prior. ( Little does he know that I am actually at the location where the car is, and am staring right at the console) F#$%#%G Liar!!! So right about now I am slightly upset. So what do I do?? I do what any angry buyer that is getting hosed does, I take the console and hide it!!!! :-) He couldn't meet me to pay, and he was putting me off ( I'm sure so that he could get the console out) So he is finally able to meet me on that Saturday to get the money ( He never says anything about the missing console), but there was actually someone else there looking at parts cars ( guess what?? He showed the car I bought to someone else!!! ) Cuz he must've found the console cuz it was missing!!!!! What a dink!!! I decided that I wasn't going to raise a stink, Needless to say, I immediately secured a trailer and went and picked up the car. I didn't want him pilfering any more parts off of my car!!!
roadster fan
I looked thru the post about the measurements again and noticed the McMark mentions one of the dimensions on the french drawing is wrong. Looking at the drawing quickly I believe the measurement that is incorrect is the one I have circled in the photo below. It is probably 280 mm not 380 mm but until I can duplicate the drawing in CAD it is only a guess. It definitely is not 380 mm though.

Hope that helps. I will post this in the original thread also after I have verified that measurement.

Jim

Click to view attachment
Beamer13
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Nov 27 2007, 12:57 AM) *

That looks really nice. When I started looking at the drivers side I thought I remembered that the side needs to kickback towards the middle of the car so your foot doesn't get in the way or vice versa.

I found this link about the measurments. I know, a little to late to help you this time but it looks like you have enough material left maybe if you want to try it. Also the photo attached references the area I am refering to.

Hope this helps, the console looks nice, you do nice work.

center console measurements

Click to view attachment

This is great!! Thanks!! I appreciate the compliment. this is actually just an initial experiment. All I had was a couple pictures of the console, and took some measurements from under the dash. I threw this together in about an hour and a half tonight. I'll post again when I have a finished product.
Jim

Beamer13
I am assuming that when you all mention kick back, you mean that it tapers toward the passenger side??? I actually do have quite a taper in the back, and let me tell you, it is quite fun to try and bend half inch plywood and fasten by yourself :-) I'm gonna try it in my car maybe tomorrow to verify ergonomics. I'll let you know! Thanks again for all the help!!
roadster fan
Now that you mention it, I can see some of the taper in your console. Somewhere I have a picture of a factory one installed for reference so you can see what we are talking about. Yes it tapers towards the passenger side. The heavy solid line LM in the measurement pic above is where the panel begins to taper.

Jim
Beamer13
Awesome!!! Yeah, the problem I have is that I haven't seen the full console (back side under the dash.) I'm pretty sure that mine ends kinda where the measurement pic shows the taper?? I really would like to get this as close to original as possible. This way I can maybe help some of the other members out by making them for them or something?? I know they are a hard item to find, when you do find them they aren't always in good shape, and if they are, they are a little pricey considering what they actually are.
dlo914
Here's my attempt a while back smile.gif *note- the slightly folded area on the driverside*
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Beamer13
Very cool!! Thanks!!! This gives me a better view of what else needs to happen on mine!!
jjs3rd914
We did the same thing by making our own. I have a pristine console that we never installed as we put A/C back in the car and did not want to hack up a good console. As a result we ended up with a custom console as we added an oil pressure gauge. The three larger diameter gauges and smaller oil gauge would not fit so we used a smaller VDO clock that we had. Now it looks balanced. It kind of looks like a cross between the "deposit box" that was offered in the early models and the later console. It suits our needs.

jjs3rd914

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Nov 26 2007, 10:59 PM) *

So he is finally able to meet me on that Saturday to get the money ( He never says anything about the missing console), but there was actually someone else there looking at parts cars ( guess what?? He showed the car I bought to someone else!!! ) Cuz he must've found the console cuz it was missing!!!!! What a dink!!! I decided that I wasn't going to raise a stink, Needless to say, I immediately secured a trailer and went and picked up the car. I didn't want him pilfering any more parts off of my car!!!

That would be me there looking at the parts car(s). You did get the best one if that makes you feel better. I agree, the guy there is not doing the family selling off the stuff any good. Did you get a title? or even a bill of sale? I felt kind of strange buying the racecar and a few other items and watch him put the $$ in his wallet. On they way home I wondered how the family knows what was sold and for how much? I didn't see any sort of inventory control going on.
ConeDodger
I am all for craftsmanship. That said, this looks like it was a lot of work. Do you guys know that George sells a reproduction in new condition? I love this new catalog. It is solving problems I didn't know I had!
Beamer13
I just heard that. Unfortunately I just placed my first order today, so have to wait until the shipment comes to get my copy of the catalog. I can't wait!! Oh yeah, and by the way, it really wasn't that much work. As I stated, it took me only about an hour and a half last night to get that far. Now, just test fit, and then upholstery.
ruddyboys
If I remember right, did Porsche staple the "kick-back" piece on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.