Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 180deg dizzy orientation is impossible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
Whew! back in the country, finally, and ready to get my car running again... real glad i wasn't flying from london. quick question:

the 914-4 dizzy SHOULD only go in its [relatively] correct orientation, right? -- i.e. one should NOT be able to put it in 180 degrees backwards (unless the vacuum unit is obviously in the wrong place)? this makes sense to me because the rotor will only go on one way, but i just want to confirm this...

then, i should be able to line up TDC (approximately) by turning the engine to where the rotor points over the little hash mark on the dizzy. my TDC mark ain't there. and i'm trying to avoid pulling a valve cover. just trying to get the thing started so i can time it.

flag.gif happy new year!

nathan
Bleyseng
Yes it can be 180 out if the cam gear is installed wrong. The dizzy only fits one way but the actual timing is done by the cam gear dizzy drive shaft. Need to find TDC first then install or check the slot orientation to make sure its correct.

Geoff

Hey how was the trip???? thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
redshift
Happy New Year Nathan, good to have you home.

flag.gif

M
nebreitling
thanks guys trip was good. spent a lot of time in art museums, practiced my (crusty) french, made it down to germany. ate like a king. didn't get sh-t for work done, but i enjoyed myself and the holidays. no pics, sorry!

cam gear is correct, but if i understand you correctly, i still have to find TDC for real. oh well, might as well adjust the valves while i'm at it. thanks so much for the info clap56.gif

n
Mark Henry
It runs off of a gear on the crank, not the cam.

Yes it can be put in wrong, easy to do. I build a lot of T1 and T4 engines and I still have to think when I install the dizzy drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.