Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: coming back around again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
hey yall.

im just about to tear into my 914 2056 again for the first time in about 5 months.

when i left it it it had a pretty good knock from a rebuilt engine.
its stock crank
stock jugs bored to 96
ching sin pistons
rat 9550
total seal rings
stock rests

i had the machine work done by what is now an iffy machine shop and i think i might have an over honed wrist pin bushing knocking.

any ideas?
it ran pretty well for awhile and with time the knock grew.

to all the az guys:
sorry i havent stayed in contact.
im going to school again.
out at universal technical institute(auto mechanic).
im 7 phases in of 17 and have a 4.0gpa.
i got a job at Patrick Motorsports.

going out to sedona and flag for fishing saturday. but i hope the pull the engine and start tear down on sunday.
wish me luck.
-jim
gregrobbins
Hey Shaggy, Bob Ford was asking about you at the track this past weekend. I told him you weren't interested in cars anymore. Glad I was wrong.

Call me when you come up for air.

Let us know what your doing at PMS.
jasons
Jim, who knows what happened when that thing started firing rocker arms across your driveway! Did you get all the pistons right side up?
SGB
Be sure it is not an exhaust leak before you tear it down- if it runs and you can listen with a tube up by the exhaust ports.
TeenerTim
You should also be able to isolate which cylinder by pulling a plug wire off and seeing if the sound goes away or gets quieter.
shaggy
PMS:
just got home.
stayed late to help jim patrick change the coil overs on the 73rs blue/white car thats going out to the track(PIR) this weekend.
hes getting his 914-6 (#17) cleaned up to go and there is a red 993 thats getting prepped too.

the engine needs to come apart. its a clear metallic knock. ive had exhaust leaks if only it were that.

i dont think im gonna try to isolate the cylinder im pretty sure itll be obvious. if not i am going to auto mechanic trade school and i hope ill be able to find it... biggrin.gif

jason: ya it did kill those rockers and push rods but at least i know the starters strong biggrin.gif
ps. wanna sell that scout?

greg: i still love cars! i just got into the jeep thing. recently ive been avoiding the 914 because it just pisses me off to know that engine dosent have 100 miles on it and it needs a full tear down. ive been around though lurking... it was actually a nice break did alot of hunting and fishing. but being at pms the smell of the idling porsche's has given me the drive to tear back into it.

jasons
QUOTE(shaggy @ Nov 28 2007, 08:33 PM) *

jason: ya it did kill those rockers and push rods but at least i know the starters strong biggrin.gif
ps. wanna sell that scout?

Yeah, I recently bought the exact starter myself. That motor definitely needs to come apart. It never sounded right.

The Scout is at the top of my project list right now. Its in the garage with the intake, valve covers, oil pan, all off. I'm re-sealing the engine and cleaning up the engine bay. I've also put some lift springs and shackles on it, and new tires since you've seen it.

Are you really looking for something like that? I see decent ones from time to time on craigslist.
ClayPerrine
I thought we banned this guy.......

poke.gif

Glad you are back!
gregrobbins
QUOTE(shaggy @ Nov 28 2007, 08:33 PM) *

greg: i still love cars! i just got into the jeep thing. recently ive been avoiding the 914 because it just pisses me off to know that engine dosent have 100 miles on it and it needs a full tear down.

Don't feel too bad. Rebuilt the motor in the FST. Took it out on test day and launched the new motor on the second track session of the day. Paid for a full track weekend, and only got to watch.

OK: when you get her out of the car and taken apart, call me. I will bring Ron Grider over and we will take a look at what you got. Ron has been wrenching these thing long enough to know what's up with a quick look.

So, it there a track car in your future? I don't believe there are any fours running our of Jim's shop. Maybe he would work with you on one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.