Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry Ice Blasting.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john111
Hi everyone. I am an engineering student. I read something called dry ice blasting while browsing net. Well I don’t know why, but I am curious to know about it. I know about traditional labor intensive methods like scrapers, wire brushes, sand blasting and pressure washing. I know dry ice is basically solid form of CO2, but I have no clue about this dry ice blasting.
Can somebody throw some light on this or at least suggest some site where I can find some info on this.

John
jd74914
What kind of engineering? I'm a sophomore ME.

And for the actual question: Its just like sandblasting except that instead of sand/glass beads/baking soda you use dry ice pellets. Its theoretically better than the above because the dry ice sublimes and leaves no residue.

I have also heard that the pellets low temperatures help to release paint (ie: normal abrasives scrape it off, while dry ice @ about -80 scrapes it and messes with the paints bonding). This sounds like it could be true, I don't know to what degree it helps though.

As far as blasting equipment goes, theoretically dry ice should be easier on it than most abrasive materials because some of the pellets should sublime around the inner surface of the gun providing a gas buffer.

That's all I know, I'm sure there are some sites on google with tons of info . . .

-James
Dr Evil
No sites, but I did see this on discovery (IIRC). It was AWESOME! I could only hope to find a site that would do that locally. It seems like a new innovation, but the benefits are obvious. I seem to remember them saying that the setup is about $2000, but I bet one could build a set up for less.

welcome.png
sixnotfour
Here is a GT project that was dry ice blasted;
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=477262

manufacture;
http://www.rsg-technologies.com/
mattew72
QUOTE(john111 @ Nov 27 2007, 07:31 PM) *

Hi everyone. I am an engineering student. I read something called dry ice blasting while browsing net. Well I don’t know why, but I am curious to know about it. I know about traditional labor intensive methods like scrapers, wire brushes, sand blasting and pressure washing. I know dry ice is basically solid form of CO2, but I have no clue about this dry ice blasting.
Can somebody throw some light on this or at least suggest some site where I can find some info on this.

John

Hey John. Must say buddy, you are quite a curious fellow. You are right dry ice is a solid form of carbon dioxide (Co2). And you must be aware that it is as hard as a plaster and under atmospheric pressure it sublimes at a temperature of -78oC.

Dry ice blasting is a process of cleaning equipments. It is very much in demand nowadays, as it is very environment friendly, safe and cost effective. You would be surprised to know the number of industries it caters to; automotive, power plants, packaging, food and beverage, plastics, aerospace etc.

As this cleaning technology doesn’t use any chemical solvents lubricants and water; it’s considered ideal for electrical equipments and food and beverage industry.

Dry ice blasting is superior to sand blasting, pressure washing etc. It has lots of benefits. Its not possible to list them out here. Why don’t you check out www.react365.com, provides dry ice blasting services and other environmental and industrial services and you will get some information on their site.

mattew
stephenaki
I didn't use the dry ice technique but the guys I used to blast my MG, http://www.galeforcetech.com/ do dry ice blasting as well and have some info on the process. They are in Nashville Tennessee.
Richard Casto
Some info on Dry Ice blasting here...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/Blasting_media
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.