Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA Competition Rule (PCR) Changes for 2008
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Jasfsmith
Figured I check into what the PCR committee is doing to the PCR's for next years Parade Concours. (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste the .PDF).

Here's the link.

http://www.pca.org/members/library/pcr/200...%20Proposal.pdf

Appears that no separation will exist between 914/4's and /6's, and production based (i.e. 916's), as all will be put into one class (no Division trophy for Pat). This will be the case for both Restoration and Preservation groups.

Parade entrant number MUST be affixed to the windshield during the competition. I'm not pleased with this as it detracts from the car for those that wish to take photos.

Restoration judging changes slightly with 50% of potential points (formerly 60%) assigned to restoration and presentation, and any item departing from original shall be penalized no more than 50% (formerly 40%).

In the Preservation group judging, length of ownership will be removed from judging consideration except in a tie.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Nov 28 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Figured I check into what the PCR committee is doing to the PCR's for next years Parade Concours. (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste the .PDF).

Here's the link.

http://www.pca.org/members/library/pcr/200...%20Proposal.pdf

Appears that no separation will exist between 914/4's and /6's, and production based (i.e. 916's), as all will be put into one class (no Division trophy for Pat). This will be the case for both Restoration and Preservation groups.

Parade entrant number MUST be affixed to the windshield during the competition. I'm not pleased with this as it detracts from the car for those that wish to take photos.

Restoration judging changes slightly with 50% of potential points (formerly 60%) assigned to restoration and presentation, and any item departing from original shall be penalized no more than 50% (formerly 40%).

In the Preservation group judging, length of ownership will be removed from judging consideration except in a tie.

Well, these ARE proposed changes, and haven't been approved yet, though they WILL.

I like the lack of separation between fours & sixes! Agree with you on the unsightliness of the entrant number - tacky & un PCA-like!

As to the "Division trophy" - it'd be nice, but I could care less! Oh, believe me, I'll put 120% into it, but just placing well will be OK with me. I'll be there to enjoy myself & enjoy placing faces with names. Whatever happens, happens. And, if two grand worth of Cocker tires I have no use for is what loses it for me, so be it.

BTW, does anyone know the headquarters for the event?

Pat
Porsche Rescue
I know I'm kicking the proverbial deceased equine here, but I still think the answer to the tire issue is the Coker Michelin XZX's in 165SRx15.
I guess there is documentation that the new cars came with H rated tires but I sure don't remember it that way.
I bought a new 914-4 in 1970 and clearly recall that they came with various brands. It was a crap shoot (Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, Semperit) which would come on your car. The dealer would swap if a buyer had a preference. I don't recall ever seeing the XAS on a 914-4.

I have to think a judge would see the vintage Michelins as correct. They are expensive ($137 per plus shipping, mount and balance) but nowhere near $2K. The H rated Vredestein is only $89 but was never OE on a 914.
Jasfsmith
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:00 PM' post='971451']
[/quote]

BTW, does anyone know the headquarters for the event?

Pat
[/quote]

As I recall, The Westin Charolette was mentioned,.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 29 2007, 05:10 PM) *

I know I'm kicking the proverbial deceased equine here, but I still think the answer to the tire issue is the Coker Michelin XZX's in 165SRx15.
I guess there is documentation that the new cars came with H rated tires but I sure don't remember it that way.
I bought a new 914-4 in 1970 and clearly recall that they came with various brands. It was a crap shoot (Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, Semperit) which would come on your car. The dealer would swap if a buyer had a preference. I don't recall ever seeing the XAS on a 914-4.

I have to think a judge would see the vintage Michelins as correct. They are expensive ($137 per plus shipping, mount and balance) but nowhere near $2K. The H rated Vredestein is only $89 but was never OE on a 914.

I've had 2 cars delivered with XZX's. The first one's handling was so unpredictable that I prayed for them to wear out. When they wouldn't, I dumped them for XAS's - better, but still sucked. Swore I'd never have XZX's again, but they were delivered on my '77 Rabbit. After about 5k miles, I dumped them again, made the same pledge, and stand by it - they are dangerous under any condition except standing still!

My $2K estimate, based on XAS's is slightly overstated, but I made that assumption on high mounting & balancing costs. If I take the cost of a 165HR15 XAS (from Coker), add the cost of the tube, shipping and $30 each for mounting & balanceing, PLUS raxes - I'm up over $1700 for 5 tires that I really don't like, nor trust in contemporary driving.

Nope, this is where I'll depart from PCR's! Safety, handling & wet road driving (which I cannot be assured I won't come across on the way to a Parade) are more important than a any win. I'm not going to entrust 35 years of a "family member" to substandard road safety.

I'll give this one to James!

Pat
Porsche Rescue
So, what tires will you buy?
I have driven many sets of XZX's over the years and can't say I like them, but I was never so unhappy with them as to change before necessary.
I am still fighting with myself over 165's vs modern 195/65's for the 5.5" chromes on my 912. And I won't even enter the car in a competition!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 30 2007, 07:18 PM) *

So, what tires will you buy?
I have driven many sets of XZX's over the years and can't say I like them, but I was never so unhappy with them as to change before necessary.
I am still fighting with myself over 165's vs modern 195/65's for the 5.5" chromes on my 912. And I won't even enter the car in a competition!

Still pondering this problem.

Best tires I've ever had on the 914 were 195-60 Yoko A008R's - they're now on my 911 but so old I wouldn't trust them out of the general area. Grip, literally, like glued. Probably not good for more than 10k miles, and horrible in the wet. But they really looked good & I felt safe on them for local driving. Long range driving - I have a set of 175 Pirelli CN36's that are 28 years old, still hold air, no cracks - but too untrustworthy to use.

As you can tell, I haven't bought tires in a while!

That's why I'm pondering & doing research. I'm also hard-core wrestling with the originality thing. When I go to a PCA Parade I do it all. I want tires that will at least keep me a little competitive in the autocross. Rally isn't that big a deal for tires, just want to be safe.

So, the answer is ??????

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.