Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Who would you use to ship an engine?
UPS and USPS have weight limits that dont do engines.

Any idea what type of company...prefer to have it picked up, but I will bring it somewhere close by.

Rich
Brad Roberts
Forward Air. Cheap, but you have to take it to them on a pallet covered. Build a frame around the pallet and use thin "door" wood to enclose the 2x4 frame.

B
Mueller
I've used Yellow when I sold my /6 engine to Motor Meister.....

I put it on a pallet and shrink wrapped and tied the motor to the pallet.
ppickerell
I second yellow freight but would be nervous at just shrink wrap. The possibility exists that someone would load another pallet on top of yours if they were tight for space. I have seen many such trucks unloaded and they are not real careful. Recommend crating the pallet in!
seanery
forward air, bout a hundred bucks. I sent a full 914 5 lug from LA-WI on a pallett with shrinkwrap, no probs, just don't be stingy on the wrap.
Mueller
A helpful hint on shipping.......

if you can, try to hide what the item is, when shipping rim/tire packages, I cover the wheels so that the type/brand is not known.....it's amazing how things disappear when certain criminal elements at some shipping companies know what is being shipped/sent thru them.....
Brad Roberts
It ran me 120$ to send all the engine parts to Raby on Forward Air.

Mueller/Pickerell/Parker... and others will share that expense LOL

B
Mueller
Mueller/Pickerell/Parker... and others will share that expense LOL

oh great....I am not looking forward to the bill for my motor...just 'cause I sold my house (in one week, and for a little more than we expected) don't think I'm not the same cheap bastard as before smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Hum let me do the math.

120$ divided by 6 people....

B
r_towle
Does Forward Air ship all the way to destination , or does the receiving party have to pick it up somewhere???

Rich
736conver
You have to pick it up at their terminal.
www.forwardair.com
I too recommend them. I always did the plastic pallet and shrink wrap. Saves alot of money using plastic pallet and shrink wrap.
redshift
I shipped motors through Old Dominion, it's a network of companies that you actually use..

See if your terminal manager will give you a class on your shipment like 500, or 520... higher numbers are for things like "Oily Bolts", and are less eexpensive than "Porsche Motor".

smile.gif

M
rhodyguy
use plumbers straping to secure it to the pallet. wrap it around in a couple of places and screw it down. if the stuff will keep a water tank from falling over in an eathquake it will hold your engine.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.