Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY 3-piece wheel change-easy as it looks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Pincetich
I've got some new to me but used 3-peice Keizer rims that are pretty awesome, and as a bonus I have 2 extra outer rim halves that can bump the width out a bit.

I'm a CSOB DIY 914 owner, and want to get out my torque wrench and power driver this weekend to take apart 2 rims and add the new halves. Is this OK to do or am I liable to fuch up the wheels in the process?

Next ? - what should I use as the goop in the middle?
Looks like clear silicone in there now.

I've got my rear fenders out enough with the baseball bat roll for the 7" width with 205 Hooisers (AX). With the new halves I'll be at 7.5" and am crossing my fingers another few passes with the roller and heat gun will make it work in those rear fenders.

Bonus photo beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Twystd1
Clear silicone is what I used in the old race days.

Me thinks they use sumpin specific for these nowadays. So they dissasemble easier.

Sooooo I just called a buddy at Kinesis.
He says Dow Corning Silicone works great. Just use lacquer thinner or acetone to get the wheel half's IMPECCABLY clean before putting them together.

That means keep hitting the wheel half's with a clean WHITE paper towel and acetone/LT until the towel comes out with NO color.

Unless ya want to wait and find the "WORTH" silicone specific for wheel half's.

There should be some REAL racers popping up to give you there input on this..... (unlike me)

Clayton

C
grantsfo
RTV Silicone Sealant

Dow Corning 832 Multi Surface Adhesive Sealant is reccommended by some manufacturers.

Call Wade at Kiezer sure he can walk you though the process and reccomend the lastest stuff. Nice guy.

Wade Husiman
712-737-3053
stownsen914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 30 2007, 07:28 PM) *

Call Wade at Kiezer sure he can walk you though the process and reccomend the lastest stuff. Nice guy.

Wade Husiman
712-737-3053

And while you have him on the phone, make sure to ask about the torque spec on the bolts that hold the rim halves together. Also, whether the hardware needs to be replaced with every disassembly -- some wheel manufacturers recommend that. I have seen a wheel fail at a track event due to improper assembly, and it wasn't pretty. Don't be deterred though -- just follow the instructions.
DanT
Nice Chris, those should help alot next season.

I will be running my 7" steelies, so your setup will be a bit lighter biggrin.gif

I have a brand new set of 710s for next season.
DanT
with these
McMark
Mmmm virgin tires. drooley.gif

Chris Pincetich
Lazy weekend, and I'll be calling Wade for sure. I spoke with one fellow on the phone last month and he said that I can replace those centers with 4 spoke billet mag style if I wanted to later beerchug.gif
I just didn't write down any details at the time.
New hardware (same grade or better) was allready in the plan.
Thanks for all the replies beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.