Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Three strikes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Strike 1.
I use (for the first time) my new impact wrench. I got it for the 914 (see 914 content) but figured a good first use would be taking the lugs off my wheels as I switched my Subaru from summer to winter tires.

It can't even remove a lug torqued to 65 ft pounds, even with the tool running at its rated max (90psi). Looks like a return trip to Loews is in order tomorrow.

Strike 2.
I keep tabs on my tires. Last month I pumped everyhting up to where I like it. Today, Rear drivers side summer tire shows lots of "underinflated" wear. WTF? Grab the guage, 19psi, should be at 32. WTMFC is going on? No nail, or screw, or other clear source of a leak, but it has a leak.

Strike 3.
Driver side tire. Holding pressure like a champ at 35 psi (just where it was last month) but it has a nail.

Stirke 4. (bonus, cause I am so special, short bus special)
I was planning to have the car inspected tomorrow. I last renued my registration in December so I thought I had till the end of December... Nope, registration runs out tonight. owned.gif 051103-stupid4.gif So I get to pay extra to have the car registered tomorrow before I can get my inspection.

Grumble.
So, two of my summer tires are fine. 1 is leaking air and has wear almost down to the wear indicators on the outside, and one has a nail. I should EASILY be able to get 2 more summers out of these tires if they were okay, and now I am wondering if I should replace them. Car is AWD, simply replacing one (the tire with the nail could just be plugged, no biggie) tire can screw up the central diff.

Zach
Beamer13
know the feeling!! Tomorrow I get to replace a front wheel bearing hub assembly on my 528i, then go get a new tire cuz the one on it got boogered up, All of this before my son's birthday party!!! Ain't life grand??? By the way, my tires are only about a year old, so that makes me not so happy!!
Dr. Roger
Wow. =( I experienced that once.

Ya' just have to do the next right thing and take care of business.

But I'd check that valve stem on the one tire first before replacing it.

Peace,
Roger
esp
You can renew your registration on the PennDOT website.
https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/vehicle_servic...071130195758157

They will give you the option to print out a temporary registration because you are within 15 days of your expiration. I don't think that you will have to pay extra. You should get your actual card sometime next week.

Eric
purple
dont feel bad about not breaking loose lugs at 65 ft lbs.

i always need a breaker bar to get those started, then run them off with the impact gun.

i've NEVER gotten lugs off a wheel with an impact gun

now the leaky tires? try looking at your valve core... my GF had a leaky valve core and it drained the tire in 10 minutes once she took off the valve stem cap. that was fun
Elliot Cannon
Mix up a little dish soap in a small cup. When it gets all bubbly, spread the bubbles on the valve stem. If its leaking, it will make even more bubbles. With the tire horizontal spread them along the rim to see if it's leaking there. Or, hell, just drop the damn thing in the pool. Bubbles are fun. Unless of course they're coming from your leaky tire. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Cap'n Krusty
Your day sounds like mine. I dunno what kind of AWD car you have, but most require 4 tires at a time, not 2. BTW, NEVER "plug" a radial tire. Have a real patch put on the inside.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(esp @ Nov 30 2007, 08:04 PM) *

You can renew your registration on the PennDOT website.
https://www.dot4.state.pa.us/vehicle_servic...071130195758157

You are THE MAN!

A dish of ice cream, my registration is renewed, my evening is looking up.

Zach
Dr Evil
You didnt know that? I bet if you put a nail in the leaky tire it will hold pressure like the one that has the nail already in it. I mean, DUH, that makes sense.

Eric (esp), have we met? Did you buy a part from me at the Hershey swap? If so, I owe you some money back wink.gif
PRS914-6
I don't buy much from Harbor Freight but a buddy of mine gave me this impact after suffering the same results as yours. This thing has not failed to remove ANYTHING yet including axle nuts. It's a great buy for the money at 625 lbs of torque but you'll throw your old one in the trash.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=2623
Allan
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 30 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Bubbles are fun. Unless of course they're coming from your leaky tire. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Or your nose.
VaccaRabite
Hopped over to tire rack and bought a new set of tires. It was the right thing to do. I'll have them mounted in the spring when I switch out my snows.

Okay, I have my snows on the car. Lets see some white stuff on the ground.

I said... LETS SEE SOME SNOW!

Zach
Dr Evil
Snow-->sleet--->ice--->sleet--->snow coming this weekend.

I disagree with you Allan, bubbles out of your nose are fun if you have some time to kill biggrin.gif

At least all you had to do was swap tires.....I still need to reassemble my damn front wheel drive for the 4Runner and install it......as soon as the /6 engine is done dry.gif
rick 918-S
I had a brand new 4" grinder. Pulled it out of the box, oiled it up, went down to grind on a car one of my employees was supposed to be working on. (marriage trouble kept leaving to argue with his wife WTF!)

I hit the grinder on the panel and it stopped! Did it again and it stopped! Third time... stopped! That was it! I picked up a sledge hammer and cracked that thing into shrapnel! smash.gif Just then my employee returned... He never left the job the rest of the day. biggrin.gif

BTW: Were supposed to have 8" of the white sh!# by noon tomorrow. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.