Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I'm in the process of removing the engine and transmission. I have the 2 motor mount bolts, the 2 transmission bolts and the 2 shift linkage bolts to remove. I've removed the forward cone screw, but I'm not certain which is the correct cone screw to remove from the rear. The attached pic shows the rear. After I've removed these screws, how do I remove the shaft?
watsonrx13
Here's the pic of the front cone screw.
Joe.D
On the trans end, remove the one on the left, facing down, in your picture.

Then, by moving the shift rod forward, and the lever on the transmission back room to separate the two, then, separate the front connection, and slide the rod forward under the floor pan to remote it.

Joe
watsonrx13
Thanks Joe. That's what I thought, just needed confirmation for my first time. I don't know if you can tell by the first picture, but the end appears to have been struck with something, I'm just hoping that it isn't flared. Thanks again. I'm finished for today, but when I complete the drop tomorrow, I'll post the results.
John2kx
Rob,

Last time I pulled mine, the forward set screw had to be removed completely before shaft would come loose. Can't remember if I had to do same for rear.

Might be due to sharp cone shape at end of set screw.

John
Joe.D
Rob,

Since you said you haven't done an engine drop before, allow me to make two other suggestions.

First: Don't remove the big bolts from the transmission mounts to drop the powerplant. Remove the 4 small bolts at the top of the mounts instead. Its much easier to reinstall these 4 small bolts when reinstalling the engine/trans.

Second: One trick to get the shift rod out of the transmission end connector is to remove only the cone at the rear of the shift rod, then sit in the car, and shift it "smartly" into 3rd gear. This pulls the rod forward, and with any luck, it will pull the rod out of the transmission connector. Good luck with it.

Joe
watsonrx13
Joe and John, thanks for the suggestions, the engine and trans are now removed.

On your suggestion Joe, I did use the gear shift in the car to help remove the rear shift linkage, but, I had to place several open-ended wrenches between the end of the shaft to be able to force the shaft out.

John, this is the car that I'm going to convert to a 350ci v8 and I plan to document the complete process.

Here's the money shot with the engine and trans removed:
John2kx
Rob,

Is this your first step in doing the v8 conversion or are you pulling drivetrain for another reason?

I'll be interested to see your progress. Let me know if I can help.

John
watsonrx13
John, this is the first step to the v8 conversion. I plan to completely strip the car, do a complete repaint, non-factory. Replace any and all rusted and/or bent pieces. I'll upgrade to 5-lug. The v8 will be the last major enhancement. I'll be using Renegade's conversion and cooling system. I saw Renegade back in Oct, wasn't very impressed with their shop but they seemed very enthuastic and focused on providing the best product available. I'm planning to document this process and have been thinking of publishing a web site. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Your car has been a motivating factor for me.
Gint
Good luck Rob. I'm looking forward to watching the progress of your project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.