Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Ran out of gas when the fuel gauge read approximately 1/4 tank. I took out the sender to see if there was rust on the guides but none present and float moved just fine. Is there something else that could have taken a dump and be giving me a false reading or do I just need to get another one?
roadster fan
I took mine apart recently to clean it and they do build up varnish on the pieces. There is a write up in the classics section here on how to totally dismantle and clean.

Is it possible that it just got stuck this one time?

Jim
Dave_Darling
Did the low fuel light ever come on? If it does, always believe the light over the gauge!!

Had a problem with Lisa's 911 where the gauge would read 1/4 tank when the light came on. Replaced the sender, same problem. Replaced the gauge, all is fine now.

--DD
rhodyguy
is there a specific orientation of the sending unit? float guide wires fore/aft, side to side? i pulled the one out that failed to read consistantly below 1/3 of a tank then dropped. put in 2 others that the floats seemed to move freely. ran out of fuel with the first replacement. the second has the light come on around 1/3 of a tank. nerve racking on a 600 mile drive.

k
Spoke
The sender in my 71 would move top to bottom when the sender is out and turned upside down. But in the car with the slow movement downward, the float would stick. I had to take the sender apart and really polish the center post. Once the post was polished, the gauge has worked correctly.

Also had an issue with the 71's gas tank where the rust in the tank clogged the openings in the fuel pickup bowl (the upside down coffee can inside). With more than about 1/4 or 1/3 tank, fuel to the pickup went through the top of the bowl.

When fuel level dropped below the bowl top, the car started to get starved for gas as the bowl emptied and would stall. Just a little fuel would leak through the clogged epenings, so the car would start and drive if I waited a bit between stalls.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.