Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does this THING do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I've tried & tried to find out what this goofy things does. And have yet to get an answer.

Fits inside the intake horn on early 914-4's. Not connected to anything - just seems to sit there & do what?

So, what if you leave it out? What if you leave it in? Where do you get a replacement for something that seems to do nothing?

jonferns
i would think its a sensor of some sort, but if its not connected to anything then I dunno. Is it supposed to be connected to something?

-JON
ejm
Can't see it in your pic's but I'm pretty sure there are two vacuum fittings on it, correct? It is a thermostat for intake air pre-heating. The air filter housing would have a vacuum operated flap for intake air that switches between air heated off the engine or non heated air. Was used on busses and type 4's.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 2 2007, 07:33 PM) *

Can't see it in your pic's but I'm pretty sure there are two vacuum fittings on it, correct? It is a thermostat for intake air pre-heating. The air filter housing would have a vacuum operated flap for intake air that switches between air heated off the engine or non heated air. Was used on busses and type 4's.

No, that's not it. The part you're referring to is is in the piece on the left side of my pic & does just what you say.

This part, though it seems to be thermo affected, is NOT attached (at least on my 914) to anything. Has two tits that hang below the cleaner, but not connected to anything. Am I missing a vac hose or two here?
Pat
drive-ability
agree.gif

That is a "T.A.C." temp switch, thats a thermostatic air cleaner, its used to control the flapper valve (via vacuum) in the air cleaner, the flapper directs the warmer air from the hot manifold for better fuel atomization on a cold engine, as the engine get warmer the flapper to ambient air flow. This is am emission system component.
ejm
Am I missing a vac hose or two here?

Exactly. The parts are there but not the hoses. I don't think this system was ever hooked up on the 914.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 2 2007, 08:39 PM) *

Am I missing a vac hose or two here?

Exactly. The parts are there but not the hoses. I don't think this system was ever hooked up on the 914.

Hmmm, interesting - what do others have to offer?
Pat
Cap'n Krusty
72 only. Vacuum line from a small fitting in the connector from the plenum to the AAR (was a hose in 70-71) goes into one of the vacuum nipples on that TAC valve, another hose goes from the other nipple to the unit shown on the left of the picture. It's a flapper that opens on cold starts, allowing air from the cylinder area to be drawn into the air cleaner. As temps rise, the flap closes and unheated air from the snorkel is drawn in. There's a rectangular hole in the bell housing end tin, a box like tube beside the starter, a hole in the left rear lower cylinder cover, and a flange for a paper hose that goes up to the flapper valve. 72 Busses had a similar setup. The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 2 2007, 09:42 PM) *

72 only. Vacuum line from a small fitting in the connector from the plenum to the AAR (was a hose in 70-71) goes into one of the vacuum nipples on that TAC valve, another hose goes from the other nipple to the unit shown on the left of the picture. It's a flapper that opens on cold starts, allowing air from the cylinder area to be drawn into the air cleaner. As temps rise, the flap closes and unheated air from the snorkel is drawn in. There's a rectangular hole in the bell housing end tin, a box like tube beside the starter, a hole in the left rear lower cylinder cover, and a flange for a paper hose that goes up to the flapper valve. 72 Busses had a similar setup. The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n! Hasn't been connected for 30 years - guess it can get by for now, but I will set it back up to factory spec's. JFG (just for grins)
Pat
purple
blinker fluid meter?
michel richard
QUOTE(purple @ Dec 4 2007, 11:21 AM) *

blinker fluid meter?

Not quite, it's the pad for the blinker fluid meter
Slider
Suprisingly enough my car had it still hooked up.. they butchered the rest of the car but left this alone.. damn..PO

Anyways here is the factory service drawing of the vaccum setup on the aircleaner
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.