Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: eBay auction for a speedster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
eBay Speedster

No affiliation, yadda yadda....

I love Speedsters and so few (real ones) hit eBay that I had to look. Guy says 100% original! Look at the pictures and tell me what you see. w00t.gif lol2.gif av-943.gif
Cevan
Jeesh, you'd think the guy would have had better lighting when taking photos of a car with a reserve over $150,000. confused24.gif
swood
Wanna go halfsies?

Oh...and so you call ebay surfing "in a meeting"??

happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
I don't know what you are laughing at Joe. The only thing I see that is a little off is the pertronics box on the floor.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Dec 4 2007, 04:43 PM) *

I don't know what you are laughing at Joe. The only thing I see that is a little off is the pertronics box on the floor.

We have a winnar!!! Tell 'em what he's won Jay!

100% original and leaves the pertronix box on the floor. Too funny.

QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 4 2007, 04:15 PM) *

Jeesh, you'd think the guy would have had better lighting when taking photos of a car with a reserve over $150,000. confused24.gif

That too. For $150k, you'd think you'd get decent pix.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 4 2007, 04:16 PM) *

Wanna go halfsies?

Oh...and so you call ebay surfing "in a meeting"??

happy11.gif

That was at noon jury boy. I was back here by 1:30PM. poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif Yea, I win. I guess it isn't a bad thing to have pertronix though. It's just like using the none OE spark plug or something. Original enough for me.
smontanaro
I have a picture of an original (unrestored) '55 with as I recall about 40,000 miles which I found on the net four years ago. It was going for $85k. No doubt it would fetch a bit more today. $150k for a restored Speedster with 100k miles seems a bit high. Of course, any pre-66 ragtop is in the stratosphere these days.

Click to view attachment

Skip
jonferns
That too. For $150k, you'd think you'd get decent pix.

or a link to 1000's of other pics smile.gif

-JON
Pat Garvey
Well, aside from the Pertronix, and aside from the poor lighting for the pictures, and aside from a pretty "non-clean" engine compartment - it lookes like a decent Speedster. But 150 reserve?

So, with that in mind, what's my freind's 58 Carrera Speedster worth? Has 2 4-cam motors, SCCA race history (though it's been restored to street quality) & is owned by one of the best 4-cam builders out there. He's owned it since about '62. It's +1 condition. Not for sale, and no pics because it would give the car away.

Hmmm?
southernmost914
Somebody just bid the $150,000. Oh Yeh, it wasn't me.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 4 2007, 05:26 PM) *

So, with that in mind, what's my freind's 58 Carrera Speedster worth? Has 2 4-cam motors, SCCA race history (though it's been restored to street quality) & is owned by one of the best 4-cam builders out there. He's owned it since about '62. It's +1 condition. Not for sale, and no pics because it would give the car away.
Hmmm?

A really nice house.
jd74914
or 2.
jimtab
Where? You couldn't buy a garage within 50 miles of here for 150k.....
KaptKaos
This one Jim.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 4 2007, 05:26 PM) *

Dr Evil
$150K bid and "reserve not met"?! I wonder what the reserve is?
Mr.C
I can just see a meter reader not paying attention and bouncing his dog stick off of it.
r_towle
The last few I have seen have sold for north of 175k

Rich
tdgray
Hmmm confused24.gif seems slightly suspicious to me.

Crappy pictures in a dimly lit garage. Limited description no real details and a 150K opening bid. Nope not buyin' it.

Smells like a scam. Wouldn't a car like this more than likely get aquired through some other channel than ebay??? This is serious collector stuff not some lowely 914 biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(tdgray @ Dec 7 2007, 08:35 AM) *

Hmmm confused24.gif seems slightly suspicious to me.

Crappy pictures in a dimly lit garage. Limited description no real details and a 150K opening bid. Nope not buyin' it.

Smells like a scam. Wouldn't a car like this more than likely get aquired through some other channel than ebay??? This is serious collector stuff not some lowely 914 biggrin.gif

At that price level, having to resort to eBay to sell a car as desired and valuable as a speedster makes me think there is something odd as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.