Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much Room Are You Allowed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Allan
My wife insists on parking her car in the garage so I have limited space for my car.

How much room do you get?
Katmanken
Yes dear..... biggrin.gif
jonferns
whos gonna use all that space on the left?
lotus_65
av-943.gif

man, i know the name of THAT song!

but really, you could move the chairs...
dflesburg
Thats an easy fix... keep buying more cars, someday she will leave and you can have the garage all to yourself.
Ferg
My garage is a Kid and Wife free zone aktion035.gif it was in my prenup happy11.gif
effutuo101
Tools, check
Porsche, check
Somewhere to sit whilst I think of stuff to do to Porsche, check

What is that big white thingy next to the Porsche?
PeeGreen 914
No car enters MY garage BUT my 914 unless I am working on it.
I have a two car garage with only my 914 in there. The other three stay outside.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 4 2007, 05:56 PM) *

My wife insists on parking her car in the garage so I have limited space for my car.

I'm not sure my wife knows where the garage is. When I am in there she calls me on my cell phone rather than come out there... biggrin.gif So no, she is not allowed any room in there... Doesn't seem to mind either.
Krieger
It appears that your wife has literally crossed the line!
ejm

All of it biggrin.gif
Loser_Cruiser
3-car garage with one car(914). and half of a 66 bug. and a boat/shelf.
Pat Garvey
In our first place, we had a single car garage. Wife was an enthusiastic 914'er & said the 14 could have the garage. Went to a 3-car garge with the next place & had a 911 by then - wife said the Porsches could have space, so long as her car got some too. 20 years later, the rules are the same - my daily driver (which isn't really worthy of garage space) sits outside. The 914 (inside) is getting readied for CW comp hardcore & the "new" 911((73)) is sitting on flat tires. Meanwhile, her 10 year old POS Passat still gets garage space inside.

Hmmm, guess I need another 914, eh? Except her POS Passat would leave rust stains on the driveway. Never another VW!
Pat
Root_Werks
We have a 2 car but it's pretty deep. The 914 goes in sideways, the baha bug and boxster park straight in. Still decent room to move and even work.
jwhcars
Just a two car garage but at least it is home to P-cars only.Well every now and then we do work on other german cars (VW).
blitZ
I finally had to hang a ball on a string from the ceiling of our garage, so my wife knew where to line up her mini van. She kept creeping over into my 914 space. rolleyes.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 4 2007, 06:26 PM) *

My garage is a Kid and Wife free zone aktion035.gif it was in my prenup happy11.gif

Same here. The wife is not even allowed to put a shovel in my shop. She just wouldn't attempt it.....or even ask. cheer.gif

You gotta start that rule from day one though.... slap.gif
davep
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 4 2007, 06:31 PM) *

What is that big white thingy next to the Porsche?

Uh, you have heard of white goods, right???
That is an appliance.
Lou W
All of it....she got the inside of the house, I get the garage, thats the way it's suppose to be. biggrin.gif
championgt1
My wife used to be able to park in the garage when I only had a 924. We then got our 914 so now the REAL cars are in the garage and the other cars are in the driveway. She hates going out to her car in the rain and cold but also is very understanding. I wish I had a 4 car garage so I could put more cars in there, and no not hers, but more REAL cars. driving.gif
rick 918-S
two garages, both mine. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Old one for storage biggrin.gif
JimN73
We have a two car garage, and two cars. The garage contains a table saw, jointer, planer, lathe drill press (used for the 914) and a rack full of quarter-sawn white oak and turning blocks.

No care, but San Leandro is pretty mild.
Michael N
Two car garage and she insists that her car is inside and covered. I am thankful that her car is a 914. biggrin.gif
jd74914
My dad, two brothers, and I share a 3 car garage. Right now it has a 911 and 2 914s in it an we're trying to figure out how to fit the 3rd teener in (its sitting outsider right now).

We are looking at putting a lean-to on in front and a forth bay for other projects. Right now none of our daily drivers have any garage space.
Gint
The garage is the man-zone. It's all mine. In a few more years I can move and get more shop than house.

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
GARAGE, for her it's more like the Bat Cave. Sometimes the door doesn't raise up fast enough to get out of the way in time(repairs to the garage door and roof of her car twice) my garage door is paneled with 3/4's of it in windows. If your parked behind her YOU WILL GET HIT "she does not look back", rear view mirrors or looking back is out of the question.

When I met my wife she told me bumpers are for when you back up and you bump something then your suppose to stop. I actually had to witness this in several parking lots. So I bought her a 1986 Lincoln Town car

Fast forward, you would get a kick out of pictures i can post of the bumpers of her Lexus. I actually have a spare rear bumper I am waiting to install when the other is all used up.

Back to the original topic I am either going to get one of those bubbles to park my car in or i am going to hang a inflatable air mattress between our cars to protect it as
the kids have no respect for opening doors into the Porsche and she will not give them enough room on their side to get out.
sww914
My wife asks for permission to enter the garage.
She gets about 1/2 of one of the 4 shelving units.
John
My wife gets 2 full bays (and she knows how to park). I get the other 9.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 4 2007, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Dec 4 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Same here. The wife is not even allowed to put a shovel in my shop. She just wouldn't attempt it.....or even ask. cheer.gif

You gotta start that rule from day one though.... slap.gif

Paul doesn't mention that even though she wouldn't put a shovel in his shop she is beautiful and he has pictures of her everywhere in that shop... I have the same problem with Yopu. Pictures everywhere!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Dec 4 2007, 07:23 PM) *

My wife used to be able to park in the garage when I only had a 924. We then got our 914 so now the REAL cars are in the garage and the other cars are in the driveway. She hates going out to her car in the rain and cold but also is very understanding. I wish I had a 4 car garage so I could put more cars in there, and no not hers, but more REAL cars. driving.gif

It rains in Washington???
computers4kids
I have a two car garage and a side...all of which is 914 sacred territory. My wife refers to the garage as "my man cave." I have RV parking on the other side of the house (which my RV will no longer fit in because it's toooo long now) just waiting for a deal I can't say no to.

Get that white car out of the garage and in front of the house where the expensive cars should be kept...outside in the elements. I have my priorities right.
GaroldShaffer
Our deal. I can have all the garage space I want during teh day, but her truck must be in at night & bad weather. We have a three car garage and I'm ok with this arrangement. I also share a 2500 sqft shop with a friend, so now I can have as many 914's as I can stuff in there. biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
We have a one-car garage. One of her cars goes in it. I can ask her to move it out if I need to work on something... rolleyes.gif

--DD
LarryR
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 4 2007, 06:46 PM) *

It appears that your wife has literally crossed the line!

agree.gif I dont care what color she wants to paint the walls in the house. Decorate as you like I say. Pink bathroom no problem. You want what kind of cabinets in the kitchen... Yes dear...
____________________________ this is the line
The garage is mine... um sorry but all mine... I do not share ; I do not barter ... If I am in here I really dont want to be bothered!

I have been married almost 14 years ... I give her the space she needs and she gives me mine. The garage is my space PERIOD!

LarryR
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 4 2007, 07:32 PM) *

two garages, both mine. biggrin.gif

LOL I am going to build another 3 car garage in the back yard and that will be all mine too. smile.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 4 2007, 10:43 PM) *

GARAGE, for her it's more like the Bat Cave. Sometimes the door doesn't raise up fast enough to get out of the way in time(repairs to the garage door and roof of her car twice) my garage door is paneled with 3/4's of it in windows. If your parked behind her YOU WILL GET HIT "she does not look back", rear view mirrors or looking back is out of the question.

When I met my wife she told me bumpers are for when you back up and you bump something then your suppose to stop. I actually had to witness this in several parking lots. So I bought her a 1986 Lincoln Town car

Fast forward, you would get a kick out of pictures i can post of the bumpers of her Lexus. I actually have a spare rear bumper I am waiting to install when the other is all used up.

Back to the original topic I am either going to get one of those bubbles to park my car in or i am going to hang a inflatable air mattress between our cars to protect it as
the kids have no respect for opening doors into the Porsche and she will not give them enough room on their side to get out.

chairfall.gif ...spare rear bumper for when the other's used up... chairfall.gif

situations are a bit different up here in the northern climes... everyone wants to be inside!

Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
No wife == no problem; all the garage space is mine.

However, when the gf (now ex-gf) moved in, I cleared space for her to have one bay for her SLK320 and her motorcycle. With a little more work, I could still fit the 914, MINI, and all other garage necessities.
TheCabinetmaker
She gets most of it. I keep my parts cars and tools, and do all my work at my shop. When I retreat to the "garage", she's gotta drive 6 miles to bug me. Oh yeah, that damn cell phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment
woobn8r
Winter up in Canada can be a little harsh....but don't let that fool you.

After 18 years of marraige, (and several more prior to that happy day) the system we have is simple....

My wife's 325iX Touring stays out in the elements it was built for. The (2 car) garage houses my 914 and related bits...no bicycles, garden accessories, patio furniture...nuthin'. Just tools, parts and my 914 right in the middle.

Since it is "MY DOMAIN" I choose to have the snow blower (and 1 shovel) occupy a small spot right by the door....but they go to the garden shed when the snow leaves.

All woodworking tools and other "domestic maintainence" items belong in the basement workshop. All "outdoor maintainence" items go to the garden shed along with bicycles and other crap....

If you let anyone put somthing in YOUR garage......well,... there'll be no end to it.

My one concession is that on really cold, or excessively snowy mornings....I will go start her car and brush it off....that's as good as it gets
BMXerror
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 4 2007, 06:03 PM) *

whos gonna use all that space on the left?

Looks big enough for an Exige or Caterham 7 to me.
Mark D.
tdgray
I get three fourths... wife still parks van in the garage but I have my three other cars in there.

If I'm working on them she gets to stay outside... very understanding that way.
Joe Owensby
For the last two years and one week, my old 914 has occupied the full garage, although not in one piece. It was on a rotisserie for almost a year, then on jackstands for about 10 months, and is now back on the wheels, maybe for about 1 more month. In the meantime, I have had the miscellaneous parts all over the garage. JoeO
Jenny
OMG!! It looks like your car did something bad (it probably did) and got sent to the corner for a timeout! av-943.gif My 914's in timeout as well, but drivers' side is towards the center of the garage so I can still get in and drive it out if I need to. Plus the other car in the garage is mine. Brian gets a work bench area, and there was a spot for his motorcycle, before he sold it. Since the 914 isn't driven much nowadays, we tried to move it as out of the way as possible to maximize garage space. I'm also taking up space with a stack of tires, but his golf clubs fit perfectly inside, so it's pretty fair. smile.gif

Jen
flesburg
A builder named Ken told me years ago to always put an 8 foot wide door on any garage for the wife's garage bay, and use 7' wide doors for your bays, preferably with 5 foot wide posts in between bays with a people door in it. That tends to keep the wife's car in the one 8 foot wide bay. She will not try to put her car in a bay with a 7 foot wide door.

Seemed like good advise at the time. My attached garage has two 8' wide doors, and my wife will put her car in and back it out, but she leaves my truck alone. My Suburban has about 6" of clearance on each side without folding in the mirrors. If I fold in the mirrors I can get it into and out of a bay with 7' doors.

So my advice is "get rid of those 16 and 18 foot wide doors. Put in single bay doors.
It will keep you out of divorce court, and save you tons of money.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 4 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Thats an easy fix... keep buying more cars, someday she will leave and you can have the garage all to yourself.

God this was exactly what I was thinking. LMAO !!!
I must be a black hearted SOB. NAH.....
Allan
My situation really isn't bad. If I actually need to have the car in the middle of the garage to work on it she'll park her car outside.

I do kick myself in the ass though for not adding a 3 car garage when we had the house built. headbang.gif
914Sixer
The reason whe bought this house is so I would have a 2nd garage to work in. The 2 car garage is in the main house. I have a detached 20x20 garage complete with heating and cooling. Both are a must for South Texas.
VaccaRabite
Erin's car gets a spot in the garage, and she gets testy if she can't park there for longer then a day.

If something is going on so that we can't have all three cars in the garage at once, my suby sits outside.
There was a period where I was parking the subaru outside for about 2 months cause we needed the garage space for storage. When I started parking the suby in the garage again, Erin got testy about it for a few days. She got over it though.

Zach
computers4kids
QUOTE(Bass Fisher @ Dec 6 2007, 06:06 AM) *

It's a matter of perception. Stop telling her that that this is eight inches!

av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.