Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool New High Efficiency Mahle Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
I got my monthly AEI Powertrain Tech newsletter today and there was an article on Mahle's new 1.2L boosted gas engine. I didn't know how many of you guys get SAE stuff so I figured I would post it for all to read. Its a pretty interesting engine; there aren't too many revolutionary individual parts, but all combined they are claiming to get 160hp/L with reduced emissions and higher efficiency.

The most interesting part for me was that the valves are actually formed sheet metal which besides reducing weight also has helped them attain higher possible burn temperatures.

Anyways, here's the article smile.gif :
Mahle Technologies Boost Engine Efficiency
swl
But will it fit? smile.gif
jonferns
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
BMXerror
It's about damn time that somebody really took advantage of the technology that's been available for years. What modern car companies call efficient nowadays is really a joke! DOHC, Nikasil, forged pistons and sodium filled valves have been around for a long time. Why aren't car companies using them? Because it's all about the bottom line. 'Why spend the money on tooling and development to make a completely new engine that would last longer and result in less return customers? Let's just rehash some old crap, advertise the hell out of it, and they'll be back again in 100,000 miles.' Rant over. Well done Mahle!
Mark D.
highways
Wait, so this thing is going to have 190hp AND be lighter all around? I could see myself doing the 3 cylinder conversion... brain.gif
Brando
I'd drop one in. I bet the retail price of one of these engines would be in the 100k neighborhood. We're talking benchmark-setting technology here.

I think the purpose of their R&D was to incorporate a few new technologies and show they can cost-effectively produce the required tooling to mass-produce these parts for others. Mahle has always been a devloper of parts for others. This shows they have the tech to make cost-efficient and energy-efficient engine mechanicals.

Would like to see those roller main bearings smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.