Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT - stupid puter qestion & DSL modems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I work for Motorola and work from home 99% of the time. We have DSL service on two (2) of the three phone lines in our house. One is used for our home computer the other is for work. Now here is the issue.

To access work I would use a software program called MVP which required software token and Id. Its been this way for years. Starting Jan 1 08 that goes away and we will use a new web based access to work, but still use the software token. I tried using that today and go a error saying I didn't have the right firewall protection. Our IT group sent me a link and I loaded a program called Blackice.

Since then I can't get my internet explore to connect OR use the old method. I worked with our IT people for 2 hours and nothing. So tonight I did some trouble shooting of my own and this is what I found.

The DSL line for my work computer has a problem, called phone CO and they are sending somone tomorrow. I brought my work laptop up to the home computer and tried using that DSL line (I will call line #2 from now on) Same issues.
Took the modem from office compter (westtell 327D) swapped it with home office modem (fujitsu speedport) and now the home computer couldn't access the internet. Error message is page can not be displayed. Swapped back to fujitsu modem and as you can see home computer can now acess the internet.

I had three guys retire last week so I have their laptops also. So for kicks I tried all three and none will connect to the internet. I get the same error page can not be displayed.

So I know I have a problem with my DSL line (#1) for work because I tried connecting the home computer to it and no acess. Seems I also have a bad modem which is possible I guess, but what I don't understand is why if I have one good DSL line (#2) and modem then why can't I access the internet with any of the company laptops? The IT guy helped me remove the BlackIce software from my laptop and it still can't access the internet, but the other three still have it and have the same issue.

My head hurts headbang.gif I have a bad feeling tomorrow is going to be a long day. sad.gif
KaptKaos
You are trying too many things that do not help you eliminate any variables.

Black Ice is a firewall software. It blocks all kinds of things. It may not be configured properly.

Regardless, you will pull your hair out trying to solve it. Put it in the IT guys lap to fix it. Tell them, "It was working until I installed this Black Ice, now it's not. You broke it, you fix it."
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif I had Black Ice, with a VPN software in my company computer. I had several issues over the years. I wish I knew more about this stuff.
GaroldShaffer
I hear you Rick. Long story short, nothing has been done. But just now I power cycled teh DSL modem for my work computer just for kicks and guess what, I am back on line. screwy.gif confused24.gif

I am still going to let the verzion tech come out and just check the line, but only the puter gods know why it works now.
john rogers
I am curious, are your DSL wires connected directly to the junction box where the phone lines connect to the house? When I switched from Cox to ATT a couple of months ago the tech lady told me to run a seperate cable for the DSL modem and it would be faster and elminate problems that seem to be "weird". Sounds like the firewall software does not like to work with DSL to me?
bd1308
Should have called me smile.gif

I could come up and help if you need any help.
HalM
Over the years, we have seen how sensitive home based DSL and cable modems can be to all kinds of things. Our experience shows us that you can reduce these "gremlins" by putting the modem on a UPS. Not just a surge protector, but a UPS. And if you are connecting the modem to a router, also put it on a UPS. Also if you have to power cycle as Garold did, unplug the modem /router for at least 30 seconds.
dgw
After several years with Verizon and DSL I realized they pretty much didn't want to talk to me until I had power cycled the modem and router. So I got to the point where I always did this first and I've not had to call them for a long time. This had work numerous times when I could not connect.

Oh yeah, my modem, router, and switches are all on UPS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.