Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More OT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
I may be moving to Indianapolis. It would be in about February or so. I was just wondering if anyone was in or around the area that knows anything about what there is to do there. Let me know. Oh and I don't drink or go to clubs so that would nix those activities.

What is their music scene like?
Elliot Cannon
They have a really big race there around May sometime I think. biggrin.gif
indydad
An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great downtown with lots of restaurants and shopping. Several world class museums too. Eidlejorg American Indian, NCAA, Indiana History, a War Memorial or two a nice zoo and Botanaicial gardens and if you have kids you must go to the Children's Museum.
We have a minor league baseball team with a wonderful park close to downtown, Indiana Pacers if you desire total frustration in your life and also some football team, it's name escapes me.
As for motorsports you have a treat in store. The INDY 500 in the month of May is a race the city puts on with a parade and Mini Marathon, it is something to experience.
Then someone brings a bunch of Taxi Cabs to town in August and runs them around the track for some reason, I don't get it myself. Labor Day brings the U.S. Nationals. If you haven't stood at the rear to a Top Fuel dragster when they do a leak check and seat the clutch, it is something. Set in the stands about 3/4 track when a pair of fuelers make a pass and the thumping on your chest makes you think these things are alive and VERY angry at something! THEN we have MotoGP in September for the first time and hopefully for a LONG time. That will be a hoot.
(BTW....don't worry, Bernie and his boys will be back in '09 for sure)
During the summer we have lots of car shows in Indiana.
PM me if you would like to talk.
Great town, I think you can find things you like to do.
TJB/914
QUOTE(indydad @ Dec 5 2007, 03:35 AM) *

An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great downtown with lots of restaurants and shopping. Several world class museums too. Eidlejorg American Indian, NCAA, Indiana History, a War Memorial or two a nice zoo and Botanaicial gardens and if you have kids you must go to the Children's Museum.
We have a minor league baseball team with a wonderful park close to downtown, Indiana Pacers if you desire total frustration in your life and also some football team, it's name escapes me.
As for motorsports you have a treat in store. The INDY 500 in the month of May is a race the city puts on with a parade and Mini Marathon, it is something to experience.
Then someone brings a bunch of Taxi Cabs to town in August and runs them around the track for some reason, I don't get it myself. Labor Day brings the U.S. Nationals. If you haven't stood at the rear to a Top Fuel dragster when they do a leak check and seat the clutch, it is something. Set in the stands about 3/4 track when a pair of fuelers make a pass and the thumping on your chest makes you think these things are alive and VERY angry at something! THEN we have MotoGP in September for the first time and hopefully for a LONG time. That will be a hoot.
(BTW....don't worry, Bernie and his boys will be back in '09 for sure)
During the summer we have lots of car shows in Indiana.
PM me if you would like to talk.
Great town, I think you can find things you like to do.

agree.gif I always liked visiting Indy. Whenever I think of Indy I wonder what ever happened to an original for sale 1972 914-6 that I never checked out a long time ago??? When I was doing my original resto I had some vendor by the name of "Speedway Werks" chemical clean my motor, trans & other castings with a process to original factory finish. I think his name was Roger Reynolds (not sure??). He was doing this for the 356 guys and is no longer in business. It was a great resto service. I believe it was him or someone else who had this orig 72 six completely apart. I was interested in it because of the rarety, but didn't like the price & being 100% apart was a major project. I wonder if this rare 6 is still in the Indy area??? Anyone know the car or Mr. Reynolds???? I like mystery's??

Tom
BTW, Indydad: Great post about Indy.
yenningComity
I am about 30 mins north of indy but I commute 5 days a week for school. Let's see, skip the Zoo. The races are good if you like that type. There are quite a number of decent little car shows in central park from time to time. Of course ther eare the colts and pacers to go see. There is also an minor league baseball team, but I have never seen them. Honestly I spend most of my free time fencing or in this real dive of a poolhall so that is about all I know to do.
mudfoot76
Indianapolis has a decent music scene. Check out Nuvo or http://indianapolismusic.net/ for details. It might not be at the same level as Chicago or NYC, but every night of the week there are many places that you can go to hear live music of just about every variety.

Edit: We also have a world class symphonic orchestra, if that is more to your tastes --> Indianapolis Symphony

If there is a concert in Cincinatti, Chicago, St. Louis - all those cities are within easy driving distance.

I don't know much about the local A/X scene, but our PCA chapter hosts premier events at Putnam Park. The members (all but one) have respect for the 914.
914werke
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2007, 12:08 AM) *

They have a really big race there around May sometime I think.

The have another in September now w00t.gif aktion035.gif flag.gif drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Sorry for the hijacked.gif but for anyone who has been to an roadcourse event at the brickyard where is the best location for viewing considering the changes being made Brickyard construction Ive never been and need to get some seats and figure out lodging?
Pnambic
Derek, my man! Have I got a deal for you!

I lived in Indy (in Carmel, Fishers and Noblesville on the north side) from '94 until late last year when a job took me down here to Atlanta. I really liked Indy though. Lots of fun things, especially for kids. The city is also remarkably clean, especially down town. IndyDad mentioned a lot of the great things to do and see around town. The Children's Museum is supposed to be one of the best in the country if you've got kids. We always had annual memberships for our kids.

If you're into the music scene, I'm told the Music Mill has some of the best accoustics you'll find anywhere. Regrettably, I never took the time to check it out, but I have friends that have and my brother also thinks very highly of it.

I'm still sitting on my home in Noblesville though. I am a motivated seller. PM if you have questions.

Where will you be working? Got a family? Kids?

The city is relatively young as far as "big cities" go. And its development/expansion hasn't been hindered by any particular land features like lakes, rivers or mountains (or even hills hardly). Its very flat, so most all of the roads are predictably north-south/east-west. Its hard to get lost in Indy. The city also calls itself a crossroads as quite a few Interstates come through. Interstate 69 goes north-northeast through Ft. Wayne towards Lansing, MI. I-70 is a straightshot east towards Dayton, OH and west to St. Louis, MO. I-74 heads east straight to Cinncinati and west to Peoria, IL. I-65 heads south to Louisville and north to Chicago. And due to the lack of any major topographical features of the land, the roads are pretty much straight shots for the most part.

Brown County, an hour south of Indy and home to the Fall Foliage gatherings of years past, has some great twisty roads and in the fall when the leaves are changing, its just breathtaking.

There are several reservoirs around town if you like boating. Geist is in Fishers on the northeast side of town and is the ritziest. There's Eagle Creek on the east side of town and Morse reservoir further north (nearer Noblesville).

They also have something called the Monon Trail where the city took some old strips of former rail land and converted it to a nicely paved path for walking, running, blading, biking, etc. I think I read it was about 15 miles worth connecting the northern suburbs of Carmel all the way to downtown Indy.

If you're looking for a house, let me know. Even if my place doesn't suit you, I could get you with a good realtor.
indydad
We are going to get tickets for MotoGP in grandstand E, the upper decks are sold out.
DerekKim
Oh wow a lot of response!

This is definitely getting bookmark'd.

I guess I should explain a little bit more about me. I'm 17 so no kids haha. I sold my teener a few months ago and I'd be moving in with my uncle so a realtor is not necessary(thanks though). It looks like there is a LOT to do! I'm excited for that. There isn't much down here since after Katrina. I have some buddies that are into longboarding. That's mostly what we do is we aren't skimboarding or surfing.

I love acoustic so I will have to go check it out.

Pnambic- You mentioned the monon trail. Are there good hills on it or is it mostly flat?
Pnambic
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Dec 5 2007, 02:37 PM) *

Pnambic- You mentioned the monon trail. Are there good hills on it or is it mostly flat?

Its pretty flat, but well paved.
greybeard50
The Broadripple area (Northcentral Indy ~62nd St. between Keystone & Meridian) has developed into a gathering "center" for the younger set. Lots of music (several allow under 21 folks), restaurants, shops. Pick up a free copy of NUVO & go wild. Live music venues are all over town...Indy is a wonderful MidWest town for music.

There are outdoor concerts at Verizon MC, Downtown on the River, Connor Prairie. Also, Bluegrass in Bean Blossom (I'm not making this up), Fiddlers at Lafayette. Steamboats on the Ohio at Cincinatti. Horse Racing in Kentucky. Nashville, Memphis are close. As is the Appalachian Mountain Trail, white water rafting & kayaking. Southern Indiana has some areas of hilly terrain. The annual Hilly 100 Bike race covers most of the good stuff around the Hoosier National Forest.

Lake Michigan for big water lovers. Hundreds of lakes & ponds for the rest of us. Southwestern Indiana was re-shaped by strip mine coal companies. There are literally hundreds of ponds with good fishing there.

The Monon trail is pretty flat (as is most on the state). One of the state Universities produced and sold a poster touting "Ski Indiana!" it was a skier on flat land in the downhill racer position & you received instructions to hang it at an angle...

At 17, are you entering school? Lots of fabulous schools in Indy...Purdue, IU, Butler, IV Tech, U of Indianapolis. 2, 4, & beyond year degrees & never hang your head.

Lots of race activity... Brownsburg on the Northwest side counts over 250 SCCA racers, and many many cottage builders, fabricators, etc. AJWatson is still there! Of course there's the Speedway with open wheel, NASCAR, & now MOTO-GP. Lost F1 ....but the group protesting the loss could've fit in my van...

Putnam Park, Blackhawk, Grattan, Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, Elkhart Lake are all easily accessed. SCCA & other groups use an abandoned part of Grissom AFB here in Peru to run AutoX. Hoosier Tire in South Bend runs monthly AutoX.

Indy is developing the downtown portion of the White River as a Recreation Park. Concerts, skateboarding, biking, running, etc.

I could go on, but my boss is lurking. So gotta go. My kids are a bit older than you so I can't hook you up that way but I can invite you along for any of my adventures. I shoot competition Skeet & Sporting Clays, race a vintage Formula VEE, find curvey roads for my Porsche 912E (driver ed days & AutoX), lust after vintage Motorcycles once a year at Mid-Ohio, build & shoot muzzleloading rifles & shotguns, and am starting a Master's Degree this Spring. Heck, you are all invited!

Did I mention I'm learning to flat pick mandolin?
rigglet
I don't have much to add as far as what to do in Indy. That has been very well covered. But I will wish you an early welcome to the area. I moved here 9 years ago from So Cal and I've never been happier. You'll love it!
yenningComity
Just to warn you broad ripple is a bit more for the older crowd. It is mainly known for a few clubs and bars so you have a few years. If you ever want to work on a teener since you got rid of yours, you are more than welcome to come help with mine happy11.gif

Since you are 17 you'll be interested in the monon when it warms up. It is basically a bike/running trail that runs down the better part of town. If you take it all the way to carmel there are plenty of places to eat right off it and some places to shop. In the summer that is where a lot of kids will hang out. As for stuff to do at 17? Museums here are pretty decent for dates, music scene is good as has been said. If you don't mind the *wrong* part of town there are some cheap pool halls for late night fun, otherwise the big hangout is steaknshake.

Are you still in HS and what part of town will you be heading if you do come?
DerekKim
Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bit of information at a time.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm moving to yet. I know my aunt and uncle have a house. I'm actually moving up there to save money for a mission for my church when I turn 19, a year from February. I graduated high school about 2 years ago but this would be my senior year. I have about three semesters of community college in and I'm thinking the out of state tuition is going to be too freakin' much so I'll probably just work. I'm trying to get a job at Ryder refueling trucks. It's like 12 bucks an hour and 40 hours a week.

I am definitely excited for this change of pace. no offense to the southerners but MS moves a little too slow for me. I play the guitar so I am quite fascinated by the music scene. Ours is lacking down here. Most live music spots here require you to be 21+ so it's quite a drag.

I'd love to help work on a teener. I'm not much help as Joe Ricard can speak up for me but I do enjoy learning about working on cars and can do basics.

I love doing ride-a-longs but I won't be AXing for a while unless I pick up a cheap shifter kart. I'll be driving a 2WD 04 Colorado extended cab. I sort of slid my moms Element sideways into a pole on a wet road a few months back... yeah real time AWD is a pain. Not predictable like RWD... Anyways my insurance is about 375 a month... It sucks but I have to pay it and I don't want to risk anything so I drive like a granny mostly now haha.

I'm really interested in a "dating scene" as there isn't much down here... or they want to stay down here forever... no thanks haha. I'm glad that there are things to do for dates up there because we have to get pretty creative to stay away from the dreaded movie dates.

I'm not too big on water sports unless it's skimboarding or surfing. I tried to wakeboard once and couldn't get up... I'm sure once I did it wouldn't be so bad.

Just reading about all the stuff to do in Indiana is getting me excited to move up there.

How far from Memphis is it? I planned to make a trip up there in January. I have friends in Memphis so I was going to stop on the way.

Thanks guys for all this information.

Do the Indy teener guys have get togethers or drives at all?
greybeard50
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Dec 6 2007, 02:48 AM) *

Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bit of information at a time....
...I'm trying to get a job at Ryder refueling trucks. It's like 12 bucks an hour and 40 hours a week...

I was and remain totally impressed with the "Life Ethic" of the folks who went through the hell of Katrina. I shared 2 weeks with around 20 displaced Cajuns in San Antonio in October of 2005 & was amazed at the resiliency of their spirit. I welcome you to Indiana & ask you to bring more.

BTW, my cousin works for Ivy Tech (a community college here in IN) & she is checking tuition rates for folks moving in & especially Katrina refugees. In 2005 in think all Colleges & Universities here offered in-state status for displaced Katrina area folks (as did many states).
krazykonrad
The museum at the Speedway is a must GT40s, Gullwing benz, F1 cars, Indy cars and more!

Brown County is awesome for scenery and twisty roads. I think the Dusenburg Museum is up north near Elkhart.

Best of luck!
Konrad
mudfoot76
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Dec 6 2007, 02:48 AM) *

Do the Indy teener guys have get togethers or drives at all?

There aren't that many of us, and this thread has brought out a few that I've never seen on the board before. "Pnambic" is the only one whom I've met in person. "Seanery" doesn't seem to stick his head in here anymore.

We used to have the Fall Foilage Classic based in the Columbus/Nashville area, about one hour south of Indy. However this year everyones' schedules didn't permit organization. Garold has hosted a few BBQs at his place up north, and he is a big A/Xer too (never can have too many cone-catchers).

I'm quite active with the local PCA when it comes to driving events. You can check out our calendar at CIRPCA.ORG. As I mentioned before, just about everyone I've met there is teener-friendly.

I'll be organizing a BBQ/engine install party for next spring (late april to may), so that may serve as an opportunity for Indy area ppl to gather...
greybeard50
[/quote]
I'll be organizing a BBQ/engine install party for next spring (late april to may), so that may serve as an opportunity for Indy area ppl to gather...
[/quote]
Count me in on the Install party...
Bartlett 914
I grew up in Indy. Moved to the Chicago region in 74. Indianapolis was really nowhere back then (I did like it though). We called it India-no-place. I visit once a year or so and found it has really matured. It still has some big city appeal with restaurants, entertainment and the like. Yet can also have a rural feel. You are never to far from corn. There is a lot to do. Reading all these nice comments about Indy makes me feel I could live there again. Lots of luck in your new home.
DerekKim
Yeah it's been an experience for sure. I don't really like living here though, never have. It's time for a change though. I am way stoked for going up there. I'll let y'all know when I make it up there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.