Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine drop in Los Angeles area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
narino

Anyone looking to make some extra money this weekend? Or know of a shop that could pull an engine at a reasonable rate?

I'ld drop the engine myself, but unfortunately it's apartment living for me. And the landlord frowns upon serious mechanical work.

This would be my first engine drop. So I'll be somewhat green to the process. It'd be great if I found a fellow 914er that would be interested in helping, and has done this dance before. Basically I need a place to do it. I have access to a truck to put the engine in and tow the car back.

Will provide beer and food, along with cash compensation for your time.

beer.gif

Allan
Bring it up here and I'll help ya drop it... bye1.gif
yeahmag
Can't do it this weekend, but after the new year would be no problem.

-Aaron
narino

Thanks for the replies!

Headrage - i'm looking into trailer availibilty I'll get back to you by tomorrow. Quite the drive, but definitely a possiblity.

Yeahmag - wish i could take you up on this, as you are near by. unfortunately i have to get the engine out by latest of next weekend Dec 14-15th. thanks for the response though.
Allan
If you decide that you want to bring it up here, Sunday would be my free day

I'll be in Vegas on the 14th - 16th... drunk.gif
KaptKaos
I might be able to help you, but you don't want me running the show. I have only dropped one motor.

Unfortunately we can't do it here. I just got another car, and no good way to roll you in and out.

There is a great tech article on Pelican too for reference.

Keep the thread updated.
dlo914
I'm up to help out! And i'll bring the motorcycle jack that's a big help for dropping the engine. The motor+tranny literally just sits and rests on the jack. The cycle jack is the perfect width. So yeah just setup a day+bbq or something and we will gather biggrin.gif
narino

Headrage, thanks for the offer but it looks like I won't be able to make the drive. Hope to see you at the meet-ups in the new year. Good luck in Vegas!
Allan
So if you have to have the motor out before next weekend where are you going to do it?

We could all meet in a Kragen's parking lot and do it.

It'll only take an hour if we are slow... smile.gif
narino

Do they let you do that kind of work in a Kragen parking lot?

Because of schedule, i was thinking of throwing in the towel and taking her to a mech shop. Guy says he'll drop it for about $150.
narino
Engine is out! Ended up taking her to a mechanic, then pushed her home in LA traffic! frightening. hope to not do that again anytime soon, ha ha.

Wanted to say thanks for those who pm'd and replied. It was a pleasant surprise to see that many people willing to lend a hand.

Thanks again!

Jorge

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.