Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiid's Project Progress Thead.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fiid
This evening I bolted the dummy transmission to the subaru motor.

Please excuse the mess in my garage.

Here is an aft view.
fiid
Side view.
fiid
Count the Cam Shafts!!!

(note the smaller alien on top :-) )
fiid
Doh!
fiid
Now here's the problem. The starter motor relay solenoid thingo interferes with one of the turbos.......
fiid
Doh again.
ChrisReale
ohmy.gif Cool.. When am I coming over so we can stand around it and gape like landed fish?
fiid
Anyone have a suggestion on how to get around the starter motor problem??

Watts has suggested that I can get the intercooler in by flipping the baby alien (intake runner thingo) around and mounting it at the front of the engine, so I'm not so worried about that.

l8r all,

Fiid.
fiid
Anytime you like!. Dude - where did you get that tach? Is it a 4 banger tach?

Fiid.
ChrisReale
930 tach, going to be a 4 banger with fuel gauge....
Brad Roberts
Gear reduction starter (189.00) will clear fine.

Next problem.

Man.. that looks AWESOME.

B
fiid
Where do I get one?

Doesn't it look great? My main worry was weather the turbos were going to clear the driveshafts, but we are clear. It's like the engine was designed for it. Oh wait... it was.
Brad Roberts
The exhaust is going to be really easy and a COMPLETE sleeper..LOL

Pick up a copy of HotVw's and look in there for a gear reduction starter.

B
BIGKAT_83
The IMI HI TORQ starters can be indexed to different posistions

aktion035.gif
Brad Roberts
I lied. 159.00 Specify BUS tranny when calling.

888-997-9894 Kustom 1 Warehouse in Orange Ca. On Collins ave.

And the pic above my post is the EXACT starter Kustom has listed and a pic of.

The owner of IMI knows me well... laugh.gif ar15.gif

B
fiid
Hmmm... apparently there is a chevy part that will fit....

http://www.pors-chev.com/pipermail/pors-ch...ber/002033.html

IMI101? Sound familiar - might be able to get one at the gotelli speed shop in South San Fran.
fiid
Sometimes - I should just shut up.
fiid
> If any of you are looking for a small body gear reduction
> > starter for your SBC they are as close as your local AutoZone! Ask for a
> > 1996 Camero 5.7 starter. They retail for $119. Worked perfect for me!
Brad Roberts
I agree laugh.gif mueba.gif

B
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 2 2004, 11:24 PM)
I lied. 159.00 Specify BUS tranny when calling.

888-997-9894 Kustom 1 Warehouse in Orange Ca. On Collins ave.

B

Brad what is the difference for the Bus transmission starter? Does it have a longer shaft ?

Bob
Andyrew
Kewl!

What have you done for it to bolt to the trani?

Andrew
Andyrew
Oh the starter, could you flip the starter? Would that work?

Andrew
Brad Roberts
I just know the tranny depth is correct and that the bus runs a type4 flywheel.

All buses came with the same Bosch SR17X starter that the 914 came with.

B
fiid
Nah - can't flip it. Then it hits the gearbox.

The tranny is mounted using a Kennedy Engineering adaptor plate, and flywheel.

I can't find the starter on Kustom 1's website - do I need to call for it???
Andyrew
How much was the adapter plate? Or could you do a list of all the things you bought and pricing? (if you want to tell me that is..)

Thanks

Andrew
Brad Roberts
Just call them Fiid (which is why it I took the time to look it up for you)

B
TimT
Do any of these hi torque starters fit a 911? I need one but am not looking forward to buying a tilton
nebreitling
fiid, that is simply too cool.

i want one boldblue.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(fiid @ Jan 2 2004, 11:29 PM)

IMI101? Sound familiar - might be able to get one at the gotelli speed shop in South San Fran.

I read the text on the link to the pors-chev. does the 1996 chevrolet starter rotate the correct way? I know the VW Bus starter will work. I was just curious about the chevy one mentioned. The guy that posted the message stated it worked for him, but he didn't say what he installed it in. If it works the price is great and it's gear reduction. (add core charge)

BTW it probably won't clear your turbo, you'll still need the one from Kustom 1.
soloracer
With the starter so close to a potentially red hot turbo is there a concern that it will get heat damaged? If so what can be done to protect the starter? Heat sheild? Wrap it in heat resistant cloth?
Andyrew
Header wrap the starter?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 3 2004, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE(fiid @ Jan 2 2004, 11:29 PM)

IMI101?  Sound familiar - might be able to get one at the gotelli speed shop in South San Fran.

I read the text on the link to the pors-chev. does the 1996 chevrolet starter rotate the correct way? I know the VW Bus starter will work. I was just curious about the chevy one mentioned. The guy that posted the message stated it worked for him, but he didn't say what he installed it in. If it works the price is great and it's gear reduction. (add core charge)

BTW it probably won't clear your turbo, you'll still need the one from Kustom 1.

Don't think you will find any chevy starter to work on a 901/915/930 gearbox. The guy that posted about the chevy starter in the thread has a 944 V8 conversion which does take a chevy starter and flywheel, bellhousing.

aktion035.gif
TravisNeff
I agree with the possilbe heat soak issue with the LH turbo.

Could you flip the direction of the exhaust headers - so the turbos are on te front? probably would be a mess with snaking the exhaust back around, but mabye not??

Or even flipping the drivers side only and have the exhaust then snake around the front (or below) the engine and down the passenger side - to then do a 2-1 off the passenger turbo?

The Air to water IC is good! looks like an early 90's legacy/liberty JDM engine? The Air to water I/Cs were also on the 2.2 turbo legacy for the US market 91-93?
John2kx
Fiid,

I'll attach a few pics of a IMI starter mounted to my 901. Might be of some use in determining clearance.

Bob,
Are you limited to flipping only 180 degrees?
John2kx
addf
John2kx
I remembered having to change my starter out last year and found this pic. Starter on left is a 101 and the markings are clear. The one on right was the replacement sent to me after supplier thought maybe my compression was a little too high or with such a new motor, I needed more power. Can't make the numbers out on this one and I don't have the paperwork (sorry). I'm sure Brad can identify these.

BTW, the original starter was tested and found to be bad. It worked fine for about 4 months and then ended up not turning my motor after it got hot.

John
John2kx
Forgot to add the purpose of last pic. The unit on left has a smaller motor attached as compared to replacement.
Brad Roberts
The IMI on the right appears to have 4 different "clocking" positions. You can see the different bolt holes for the motor on the face plate.

It will need a heat shield.. but I wouldnt be too concerned about this.

B
fiid
So I can dial it around until the two bodies are vertical?? I think that would be the only way.

I'll call and order it Monday, unless they are open tomorrow.

Fiid.
Brad Roberts
That is what I am gathering from the pic.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Jan 2 2004, 11:05 PM)
Anyone have a suggestion on how to get around the starter motor problem??

the high-torque starter i had (and brad sold smile.gif ) was smaller and had a different shape.

lighter -> smaller -> better

get one!
Andy
Brad Roberts
But the solenoid was in the same place as stock and you couldnt change the clocking.

Most of the places stopped selling that starter.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. and I would imagine you would have to modify the trunk floor. I know when we rais the engine and trans in a race car.. the stock starter solenoid will hit the trunk floor. Rotate this one up and I would imagine the same thing happening.

B
John2kx
I was thinking the same thing Brad......about having to take a chunk out of the trunk floor after seeing all the stuff on top of his engine.

Just looking at the side pic of your engine (without a ruler) I'd guess a 2' x 2' opening will have to be made where my distributor opening is.

John
John2kx
Fiid,

This might shine a little more light on the subject.
Brad Roberts
We can actaully move his engine forward several inches if need be. RH moves them back.. no reason we cant go forward (I had planned to do this with another friend doing a Scuby conversion).

B
John2kx
I didn't think about that B. Since my drivetrain is moved back 1-3/4" (with v8), you will be able to move forward ~ 3" from my location.

John
Brad Roberts
I try not to think.. but sometimes it gets in my way and I have to do it...LOL

Lots of people love your car John. It really paints a nice picture for those thinking of doing a V8 conversion. It is so rare to see one done NICE.. easy on the eyes and a pleasure to look at all the pics. clap56.gif

Sooner or later we will have the gallery software up and running. I have failed to make it run on my W2K machine, but it should work just fine on the Linux box. Hang in there.

B
redshift
I see John's car, and I stop wondering why everyone moved the hell out of my way when I went home for Christmas..

smile.gif

M
-Augusta Boy-
fiid
Mo Engine Pics. Lat night I pulled the intake manifold off. Getting this thing going is going to be a bastard. There are an ungodly amount of tubes, sensors, etc.

This is the (air to air) intercooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.