Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter projects - in cold climes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
So...winter is settling in on the east coast & midwest. It's snowing & 26 degrees here, but I planned for that & have taken lots o parts off the 914 to rejuvinate over the winter. Mostly rubber & FI parts.

Right now, I'd like to hear about members's witches brews for preserving rubber parts. I've had several rubber parts go south on me this year (read disintegrate in my hands!). Have replacements, but curious about what every one uses to protect these things. I have something completely wierd that I've started using, but want to hear what others use first. Sources for OTC Glycerine seem to be drying up (no pun), since the drugstores don't want to reserve shelf space for something that doesn't sell.

So....what do you use? I promise I won't denegrate anyone for not using what I do. Want to hear alternatives - good or bad.

No, licking a Hershey bar & then licking the rubber is not a good thing - or is it?

Pat
davep
Glycerine is a byproduct of biodiesel production. Tons of impure glycerine are being dumped due to the cost of purifying it. Rubber parts ARE tough. Part of the problem is that it is usually too far gone by the time someone starts to try to take care of it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 6 2007, 09:30 AM) *

Glycerine is a byproduct of biodiesel production. Tons of impure glycerine are being dumped due to the cost of purifying it. Rubber parts ARE tough. Part of the problem is that it is usually too far gone by the time someone starts to try to take care of it.

I've used glycerine for more than 30 years to protect rubber parts & keep them supple. Did the topside (easy) parts once a year & everything I could reach underneath when I was down there, but some pieces were apparently not treated frequently enough underneath. So, I'll start with fresh glycerine on fresh parts, as they are installed.

But, my source of glycerine is a little embarrassing, though totally functional & should work as well as my old stuff.
Slider
Do we dare ask what is your new source for the glycerine?
jonferns
I have a bar of glycerin soap, bought it just for the cause. Think that can work?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Slider @ Jan 2 2008, 12:13 AM) *

Do we dare ask what is your new source for the glycerine?

YOU ASKED!

Can't get much more purified than this.

Does a real Kick-ass job!
Pat
Slider
av-943.gif

or i guess in this case bootyshake.gif

.o0O(wonders where he can find some..for the car that is...! (shifts his eyes in a nervous fashion.)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Slider @ Jan 3 2008, 12:55 PM) *

av-943.gif

or i guess in this case bootyshake.gif

.o0O(wonders where he can find some..for the car that is...! (shifts his eyes in a nervous fashion.)

Well, I knew this was coming!

Don't know about the rest of the world, but purified glycerine is rare in my neck of the woods. Yeah, it was a little embarrassing to pay a 16 year old pierced punk for it, but we do what we have to for our 914's. Could have made the purchase more interesting by buying a pack of Maxxum's at the same time, but the kid may have hit on me.

Regardless, it works!
Pat
Slider
LOL.

But hey that is good info for the rest of us you have already done the dirty work.

Now i wonder if i can talk my wife into buying some for the car..
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 3 2008, 08:56 PM) *

Don't know about the rest of the world, but purified glycerine is rare in my neck of the woods. Yeah, it was a little embarrassing to pay a 16 year old pierced punk for it, but we do what we have to for our 914's. Could have made the purchase more interesting by buying a pack of Maxxum's at the same time, but the kid may have hit on me.

Pat, I'm sure you know that there are reputable internet drug stores that sell items which would otherwise overexcite the 16 year old punk at the brick and mortar-store, and they pack them using unmarked discreet boxes smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.