Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-CAD Recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
My nephew is looking for a reasonably priced CAD program that the can use to design a house he is building. He would like to keep the cost to under $300 if possible. I told him we had a bunch of engineers here, so I would ask.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks
jonferns
in school we use Autodesk Revit , it is a full blown professional architecture program. I was able to obtain a 1-year license for home use through autodesk. Contact them and see what they can do. It really is an amazing program. Even comes with its own 10-lb users manual smile.gif

-JON
highways
If it's a one off project, and he just needs some CAD tools to get it done, try this:
http://www.rhino3d.com/

If he's actually doing this as part of a study leading towards a career in design, get the real CAD software.
jonferns
IIRC, a one year license ran me about $40
nola914
I downloaded Google's FREE product called SketchUP, and been fooling around with it for a few days. I'm very impressed. In addition to the drawing program, they provide a series of files with textures, people, veggies, etc for download. And they also have a thing called 3D Warehouse for interchange of models. You can download similar projects and adapt them to your needs.

Plus there is a bunch of video tutorials to help you get started.

Oh yeah... You can import photos and use the file to develop plans or renderings.

May be worth a look for you.
Zundfolge
Archimedes is a rather promising looking open source (read: FREE) CAD program thats primary focus is Architecture.
http://archimedes.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal
Elliot Cannon
Drafting table, "T" square, triangle, scale and some #2 pencils. Cheap and works every time. You don't need an owners manual.

Cheers, Elliot
brer
you could hire an architecture student for 300 bucks easy!
rmital
....I've seen software at "STAPLES" for home design. It would probably provide most of the typical codes for typical home/architectural plans.

I considered purchasing it for fun while designing my home addition, but figured I would follow the "Drafting table, "T" square, triangle, scale and some #2 pencils" method...but then again, that's what I do for a living....

I think a user friendly software like mentioned above might save some time as far as standard legend items...typical dimensions...widows...stair lift/spacing...etc...
Eric_Ciampa
I would second the Google Sketch-up program. In about 8 months ago I used it to re-create an apartment my wife and I were thinking about to move into so see how well our furniture would fit (I took dimensions earlier). Worked great and only took an hour or less, including 3D walls (just no roof).
Wes V
I'm an Architectural Engineer and use the full blown Autocad.

I'd recommend you check out Autocad LT. It's the cheap basic program.

The main reason that I'd recommend it is that the drawing files generated can then be used by somebody that has the full blown version.

Wes
swood
If he's a student, he can buy the Autocad LT Student version for even less.
cassidy_bolger
Design and drafting aren't the same thing!

I'm an architect, and I reccommend using Sketchup for design - easiest way to understand the 3D reality of your decisions. It will produce simple plan drawings that can communicate what he wants to a draftsman or architect for building permit level drawigns- i like the idea of hiring a student to draft, too.

jd74914
I second the Autocad (I've never used the cheap version, but I do know the regular). Its not too difficult to learn; I used it in high school in a drafting class and drew our garage in it.

Hiring a student isn't a bad idea wither. Most that I know would probably do it for not too much. Its not too hard to draw something like that up when you use the programs everyday. I wish people would pay me to draw parts for them. laugh.gif

Now, he does know that he will need a real architect (or CE with a PE I guess) redraw or at least stamp his designs. smile.gif
TimT
Im a PE, and use Microstation, Autocad, Catia, and some various FEA modeling software on the job... or actually I used to use them often.. now others do the drafting...

Ive been using Autocad for years and still learn new shortcuts and methods.

When I went through school calculators were a new thing.. all calcs were done by hand..slide rules were even seen sticking out of some pockets

but I digress..

I think 3D Home Architect is a very handy, inexpensive drafting program. You can easily turn your 2d plan into a 3d view.. has fixture libraries, can do basic landscaping etc..can produce a BOM.. etc...

Even producing your own plans you will have to give the plans to a licensed PE or Architect for approval..

neo914-6
Here's one: Home Designer
nsr-jamie
I think if you surf the net a bit you can find free trial or unpopular CAD programs you can download for free....I found one for sale here in Japan (and in Japanese) for about 25 dollars called CAD-PAK and works really nice in 2d and 3d and you can get an optional CAM pack for it so you can make up your own NC code and machine things......sorry, don't know much about architect CAD programs, when I was growing up I never used CAD and just drafted everything free hand with a pencil and my desk
Justinp71
If he is a college student you can get the full blown autoCAD for free from autodesk, but in 30days you have to register it as a student version.

I have done it before, the main thing is that you have to have a e-mail account from your college.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.