Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grarage Floor options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
Got to get rid of the oil soaked carpets! Looking at COSTO.COM interlocking floor panels $2.06 per square! Your thoughts?

Michael pray.gif
jaminM3
Yes! everyone I have heard from that has done epoxy paint or anything like it, it just peels eventually and they insist that they followed the instructions to the "T". I didn't know that Costco had the tiles, thank you very much thumb3d.gif
carr914
I sell an Epoxy product. Everything, I mean Everything depends on prep and even then....I use my garage almost like a commercial and I've ruined my floor. If your just storeing cars I think tiles would be good. I don't know about workability with tiles ( floorjacks, etc). Also a leaking teener is eventually going to kill any floor. We should get Consumer Reports to test it out.

iamchappy
I have the Race Deck tiles they look nice and keep the cold off of the floor but they warp with heat. Easy solution to a concrete floor in bad condition. I first layed a thin non absorbant foam pad down before the tiles.
chris914
Mine is great!

It is a lot warmer in the winter then concert when I lay under the car.

My floor jacks works find. I put some square pieces of plywood under the jack stands with no problems.

The white gets a bit dirty. If I had to do it again I may have chosen a different color besides white.

I use oil pans under the car for drips.

I have rebuilt the whole front suspension and now I’ll pulling the engine. The floor cleans well using Simple Green.

I have spilled oil, brake fluid, and gas on it and nothing seems to bother it. I did melt it with an incandescent shop light. I have since bought a fluorescent one. Mine has not warped but it only sees the sun when the garage door is open.

I have had it for two years and wouldn’t have any thing else. And if you leave you can always take it with you.

The garage is my zone. No wife or kids stuff except on one set of shelves. They are encouraged to visit, but just not their stuff.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
szuccaro
No tiles, no Racedeck puzzle pieces. Expoxy coating is the answer. Easy to clean, stain resistant and is a continuous service, unlike tiles, and when I was pricing, it was cheaper than tiles! Prep good! Steve
szuccaro
Recommend a company called "Advanced Coatings" (El Dorado Hills, CA). Steve
porschecb
I tend to be on the cheap side. Besides the fact that my car never needs to be jacked up. I spend all my money if need be on my mechanic. grouphug.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for the input!!!

Looks like I am doing the floor interlocking panel pieces.

Michael
JRust
At costco they have a garage floor liner? Not sure what it was called but was roled up like carpet & pretty thick. It would be good for one bay. I think it was 13 feet wide by 20. I haven't bought it yet but plan too. You might check it out
John
Those all look nice for a car storage garage, I have a hard time believing that ANY of those would survive in my garages. With the welding, plasma cutting, grinding, cutting sparks, they would be bad looking in no time.

I don't think the coating or plastic tile exist that would stand up to molten steel or tiny fireballs as they drop on the floor. Most factories that I visit that do heavy welding/fabrication of any sort leave bare concrete or use a simple sealer that is re-applied every so often.

I mainly try to keep any vehicle parked in my garages leak free. Then I don't have to worry about the oil stains that don't want to come out. When there is a spill, it is cleaned up right away.

If you are trying for something durable to park cars on and do light work, I would recommend a heavy duty (multi-layer epoxy based) coating that is professionally applied. This way you have some sort of warranty against a lifting/peeling problem.

Good luck.
chris914
QUOTE(John @ Dec 8 2007, 11:11 AM) *

Those all look nice for a car storage garage, I have a hard time believing that ANY of those would survive in my garages. With the welding, plasma cutting, grinding, cutting sparks, they would be bad looking in no time.

I don't think the coating or plastic tile exist that would stand up to molten steel or tiny fireballs as they drop on the floor. Most factories that I visit that do heavy welding/fabrication of any sort leave bare concrete or use a simple sealer that is re-applied every so often.
I agree.

I mainly try to keep any vehicle parked in my garages leak free. Then I don't have to worry about the oil stains that don't want to come out. When there is a spill, it is cleaned up right away.

If you are trying for something durable to park cars on and do light work, I would recommend a heavy duty (multi-layer epoxy based) coating that is professionally applied. This way you have some sort of warranty against a lifting/peeling problem.

Good luck.

I spent months looking at different floors and their costs.

Every floor coating that I have seen put on a concert floor has peeled, except for a new concert just laid down. Concert is very porous. My floor was 35 years old, with oil stains and such, so I opted for the tiles.

If I had a new concert floor I would just put a really good sealer on it and forget about it.

Don’t forget epoxy is a plastic it will burn and melt.
iamchappy
The plastic tiles dont hold up to molten things but the Race deck stuff has a 15 year guarantee against damage of any kind and they are very good about replacement.
They actually have metal tiles to put in areas of molten flying thing use.
blitZ
It seems the latest thing for designer concrete is acid staining to give it a nicer look. I wonder how stained concrete holds up in a shop/garage environment?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.