Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got a clunking sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I have a clunking sound which seems to be getting worse. It's coming from the front left every time I hit a bump. I have new ball joints and tie rods, shocks are fairly new. I checked everything in the front end and nothing is loose or broken. I can feel it coming up through the steering wheel, so it seems it is steering/suspension related.

Any ideas? I'm afraid to drive it like it is.
911quest
sway bar bushings.....
blitZ
Found the solution on another thread, should have searched first. Thought searching for "clunk" would have been futile. I had a loose ring on the strut tower.

The car has been declunked.

Thanks
Hammy
QUOTE(blitZ @ Dec 8 2007, 12:56 PM) *

Found the solution on another thread, should have searched first. Thought searching for "clunk" would have been futile. I had a loose ring on the strut tower.

The car has been declunked.

Thanks

Can you elaborate on what you did?
blitZ
On top of the strut tower is a threaded ring which holds the strut in place. It had become loose. I jacked the car up, removed the wheel. Removed the top bolt which hold the strut in place, accessible from the front trunk. Popped off the tie rod and sway bar, so the strut tower would drop enough so I could screw the ring tight with a big honkin pipe wrench. Put everything back together and test drive.
Hammy
QUOTE(blitZ @ Dec 8 2007, 01:46 PM) *

On top of the strut tower is a threaded ring which holds the strut in place. It had become loose. I jacked the car up, removed the wheel. Removed the top bolt which hold the strut in place, accessible from the front trunk. Popped off the tie rod and sway bar, so the strut tower would drop enough so I could screw the ring tight with a big honkin pipe wrench. Put everything back together and test drive.

Cool. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.