Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT....Small Block Chevy Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
Pulled the intake and distributor off a small block chevy. When I went to reinstall the distributor (Did not crank the motor at all with the distributor out) and now it seems to be off. There are only two ways to install the distributor, either back where it was orginally or 180 degrees off.

So am I missing something here? why would this be off?

First picture is before I removed the distributor, the second picture is after I reinstalled the distributor, see how it's slightly off?
Dr. Roger
you probably don't have the plastic sleeve installed from the oil pump to the bottom of the dizzy which will allow some back and forth of the dizzy/oil pump connection.... and allow a possibility to be off a tooth.
I'd pull the dizzy and turn it CCW one tooth and drop her back in. No worries.

Good luck.
Roger
Lou W
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Dec 8 2007, 09:21 PM) *

you probably don't have the plastic sleeve installed from the oil pump to the bottom of the dizzy which will allow some back and forth of the dizzy/oil pump connection.... and allow a possibility to be off a tooth.
I'd pull the dizzy and turn it CCW one tooth and drop her back in. No worries.

Good luck.
Roger

When I tried to move it one tooth over, I couldn't get it to drop all the way in, can the oil pump be turned slightly? huh.gif
914-8
What you need to do is take the distributor back out, look down into the hole with a flashlight, reach down there with a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump slot a few degrees. So that when you drop the distributor back in, the bottom of the distributor shaft can "slot" into the oil pump drive slot.
Lou W
QUOTE(914-8 @ Dec 8 2007, 10:12 PM) *

What you need to do is take the distributor back out, look down into the hole with a flashlight, reach down there with a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump slot a few degrees. So that when you drop the distributor back in, the bottom of the distributor shaft can "slot" into the oil pump drive slot.

I think thats the ticket, just tried it.... but may have gone just a little too far the other way. We'll try it again in the morning. smile.gif
byndbad914
it looks to me like the manifolds are different, is that true? It would explain why things look differently as the visual references have changed. If so, just get the thing to seat into the oil pump drive like you already did and rotate the housing to line the rotor up relative to the housing. Doesn't matter if it points the same way visually. You can rotate the rotor 180deg and rewire the thing moving around 180deg and it will work. All that matters is hte rotor relative to the cap/housing, not how it looks relative to the manifold hold-down bolt and so forth. There is a slot cut in the housing near the shaft, it seems to line up on one side of the rotor visually. Just do the same visually by rotating the housing a little CW from your pic, fire it and time it from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.