Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing dings in steel wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
I purchased a set of (allegedly) straight steel wheels from a forum member (I guess perceptions of "good" vary between individuals rolleyes.gif ). The wheels are true, however there are some "dings" in the lips. Nothing severe or sharp, just mild bends that look like hell. I called a few local wheel repair shops and no-one is interested in repairing steel wheels. I really don't want to spend the shipping costs to send out-of-state (were there ARE companies who do these repairs).

So...can I heat up the lips with a torch and hammer these dings out? I figured a socket can be used to hammer against, protecting the rims from hammer marks.

idea.gif
McMark
Are they going to be refinished afterwards? I would probably just use a hammer. Heat is unnecessary.
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2007, 10:16 PM) *

Are they going to be refinished afterwards? I would probably just use a hammer. Heat is unnecessary.

Yes, they will be stripped and powdercoated. I already gave them a few whacks with a hammer and no-go. 33 year old German steel is tough stuff...
McMark
Try a BFH (Big F-in Hammer). wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.