Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I spoke too soon!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
Well, I finally got my teener back on the road, and was feeling kind smug about actually making it happen, and except for a few pesky things like a passenger side marker light that doesn't stay on all of the time, and things like that, she is in good shape. I also had a slight smell of gas, but not all of the time. I just figured it was some of the left over oil and fuel I had spilled while working on the engine finally burning off. WWEELLLLLL, tonight I was checking basic maintenance type of stuff, and I had her running in the driveway when I looked down and saw a wet spot coming out behind the front driver-side tire. Looked under the car and fuel was just pouring out from the middle of the car just between the tires. (Pic Below) It was coming out of both of the holes in the middle of the pic, but mostly out of the one on the right (driver side)

I assume this is on the return side of the fuel system, because the engine runs fine. I figure if the leak was on the supply side I wouldn't generate enough pressure to get her running right.

So question 1.) Am I thinking right that it is on the return side of the system? And question 2.) Will this require me to pull the tank to fix , or is there a way to access the return line without pulling the tank.

Click to view attachment

bd1308
there's your servicing window, with the tank connections and the service lines.....
BiG bOgGs
Well, it looks like I get to have a little more FUN under my teener. At 6'4" there are times I really wish I would have fallen in love with bigger cars. At least my Samurai has a lift kit on it. biggrin.gif
boxstr
I would personally drain the fuel tank down and yank it out and replace all the lines under it. At least you can work from up top. Oh, take the front trunk lid off also, much easier to get to everything in the front.
CCL
SirAndy
your suspension crossmember bolts are missing !!!

huh.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
BiG bOgGs
Holy Crap! I guess there is a lot more for me to check out on this car befoer I get back on the road with her. Ah, the insanity joy of 914 ownership. Maybe I should just enjoy fixing her and not put so much value on actually driving. blink.gif

Thanks for catching that. As a noob, I would never have known.

Jim
Trevorg7
I had similar symptoms. I assumed it was my fuel lines and went about replacing them with the stainless steel lines. Turns out he leak was at the tank. There is a portion of the tank that rests on foam bumpers and against the car. Mine rusted throught the tank and leaked. I aslo had a small leak on the seam at the bottom.

Remove the front trunk lid, pull the tank and check for leaks. Replace the fuel lines and you're good to go.

Here was my thread

T
BiG bOgGs
Thanks guys! I pulled the fuel tank this morning, checked it and replaced the fuel lines under the tank. I just finished putting everything back, so now it is on the the suspension bolts. Anyone know what size/pitch/length these bolts are?

Jim
MrKona
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Dec 15 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Thanks guys! I pulled the fuel tank this morning, checked it and replaced the fuel lines under the tank. I just finished putting everything back, so now it is on the the suspension bolts. Anyone know what size/pitch/length these bolts are?

Jim

The factory parts list states a "hexagon-head bolt" M10 x 20. Also, FYI, it was originally part # 900 075 040 02. Factory parts list also calls out a lock ring and washer at that location.
BiG bOgGs
Thanks, MrKona. Im off to the store to find those right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.