Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rack em and stack em
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
just finished putting together my car storage lift...wife can now put her car in the garage...and I should have an easier time putting in my six this spring! These things are heavy and are shipped all apart...but a nice product after I got it all together. Cool thing is it comes with a caster system so you can move it around (nothing can be on it and the rails need to be all the way down).

jim912928
2nd pic...
ConeDodger
Jim,
How high is the top of your stack there? I am wondering if one of these would work in my garage...
stateofidleness
omg that 911 is SEXXXXXY!
dflesburg
does your 914 drip on that bug, I mean 911 ?
sixnotfour
Looks Good,

If you got the room double depth.
I built the (Table) second from a cnc machine pallet (free&perfect size) added legs and 2x6 car decking, farely cheap for another spot.
Just raise it up roll it forward.( scary the first time)

Rob, floor to ceiling totaly depends on what you have top and bottm , measure your cars and add 5 inches for lift and whatever for saftey margin pulling in and out.
The locks are usaully about every 4inches so add that to the estimate.
jim912928
Rob, The columns are 82" and it will raise another 16" from where you see it. The stops are every 4".

dflesburg...there are three drip trays under the engine/tranny! Both are now under covers.
jd74914
Thats looks nice drooley.gif . . . Where did you buy from?
jim912928
Jim D.,

I bought it from Automotive Service Equipment. They were very helpful and great to deal with. Here is the link for the lift I got:

http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift_d-7.html
LarryR
Oh man that is awesome! I am going to have to get one of those! Much cheaper than adding another garage space.
lotus_65
Solid.

What's the paint code on the 911?
jim912928
lotus...don't know the paint code...but it is late model porsche Seal Grey.
rhodyguy
when you have some more spare change, look into installing a high lift track for your door. it'll pull the door and opener much closer to the ceiling. my cousin has a lift much like yours. i did my valves on it recently. his has the hydrolic pump w/ram extensions and the castors.

k
Beamer13
So, did you get the sale price??
lotus_65
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Dec 9 2007, 10:56 PM) *

lotus...don't know the paint code...but it is late model porsche Seal Grey.

aktion035.gif
Gint
Welcome to the garage lift club. I've had mine for quite a few years now. Worth it's weight in gold.

I'll warn you now though. A fully dressed 914 motor (either a 4 or 6) will not fit between the lift rails of that model you have there. Ask me how I know. wink.gif

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Hi Jim & other garage lift members.

Very nice & thanks for the photo's.

Interesting post, because I just got a copy of a local Michigan PCA Motor-Stadt newsletter of a (4)-Post lift installation (Direct Lift Pro-Pak-7). They re-worked the garage door to take the track up higher and tight to the ceiling along with a side mount (jackshaft) opener.

I tried to post the link, but it will not open. Go to PCA's web site & go on the Michigan Motor-Stadt site for a good read & how to.

Tom
BTW: I am thinking about this on my next house plan.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2007, 08:45 AM) *

Welcome to the garage lift club. I've had mine for quite a few years now. Worth it's weight in gold.

I'll warn you now though. A fully dressed 914 motor (either a 4 or 6) will not fit between the lift rails of that model you have there. Ask me how I know. wink.gif

So, how much room do you need to fit the 914-4 motor between the rails? Is there a lift out there that will allow a motor drop between the ramps?

Warrenoliver
Gint
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Dec 10 2007, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2007, 08:45 AM) *

So, how much room do you need to fit the 914-4 motor between the rails? Is there a lift out there that will allow a motor drop between the ramps?

Warrenoliver

I don't remember. You can answer that question yourself though. Measure from the front left corner of your engine tin to the front right corner of your engine tin. There you are...

A two post or a mid-rise lift would be much better for engine drops. I learned that the hard way, but I still love having a lift in the garage.
Ferg
beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
Gint
Ferg... smile.gif I specifically said his model lift.

Jim, yes, if you had spent all the money on a Bend-Pak lift you could use it to drop a motor. The lift rails move laterally. But then you absolutely have to bolt it to the floor.
roadster fan
Nice! smile.gif I need one of those drooley.gif

The link Tom talked about on the PCA site will be in the submitted event articles for region 4, Motor-stadt area. No photos but good information on the pitfalls encountered during the project.

Click to view attachment

Jim
Gint
That's what I need!
wobbletop
I'm getting the side garage door lifter to provide more room for a lift in the future.

Still trying to decide on what type of lift though. 4post 2post or 1post.

It's a single car garage (16x26) that i'm trying to convert to double with a lift. But I also don't want the lift to be in the way all the time.
Ferg
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Ferg... smile.gif I specifically said his model lift.

Jim, yes, if you had spent all the money on a Bend-Pak lift you could use it to drop a motor. The lift rails move laterally. But then you absolutely have to bolt it to the floor.

I was just pic whoring...

Bummed we missed you guys Saturday drunk.gif sad.gif

jim912928
Thanks for the info on the engine drop...I didn't buy it for that (needed the garage space for the wifey's car)...and it sure will come handy when I'm cleaning the bottom, redoing the engine compartment, cutting oil tank holes etc. Hmmm...wonder if I can put the back tires on the end of the rails and use it as a major floor jack to get that ass end high of the ground!
stateofidleness
whats the "sale price"?

im diggin this one
IPB Image

would it allow me to do an engine drop ?
914-8
who makes that one?
jd74914
BendPak

http://www.asedeals.com/pit_lifts.html
stateofidleness
same people, was browsing their site... they have a bunch...

a lot of em say "Call for the sale price"... they should just post the sale price
Joe Ricard
I spy the covered front fender of a 928.
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment
I have 41" between the tracks on mine and it allowed remove and install of a six with no problem. A four was a bit tricky as the mount bar would not clear. Had to remove/install the bar with the engine above the tracks.

In my current garage I adjusted the "up" limit switch to stop the door before it is fully up. Otherwise the door would hit the car on top. I also moved the door opener to the side to allow more clearance.
jim912928
lol...yes Joe you did spy the front fender of a covered 928!
wobbletop
Anyone have a single post system? Seems like for a small garage, getting rid of the second post would free up some room when walking around inside the garage.

IPB Image

http://www.asedeals.com/single_post_storage_lifts.html
carr914
Welcome to the 914 with a 911 under Club. Heres mine a Revolution 7.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.