Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 engine pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
Some of you guys asked me to send in more pics of my engine as it coming along,so here goes.
RON S.
RON S.
no pic,try again
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
Eric_Shea
Stop working on that stupid little engine and get our tow hooks done... priorities damn it priorities! lol3.gif

Looks nice... really nice! Good luck with it.
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
Pass side near dist.
RON S.
Hey Eric,
Is the towhook on that pdf acceptable,if so I'll run some next week.
Ron
RON S.
Pass side
RON S.
RON S.
RON S.
Last one,
Other side of the front pc.This front pc is the one that required a lot of thinking to get it to work.
Ron
Eric_Shea
Is the towhook on that pdf acceptable,if so I'll run some next week.

Looks good to me... maybe others should weight in on the design.
East coaster
Ron, Thanks for the sheet metal pics. I need to tackle this project on mine and the shots will be very helpful. I know there was some concern on the overall width of the installed sheetmetal, but I don't see where you added any material that would increase the overall width of the installed pieces. Looking at mine, if the front and back pieces are unchanged in width, then I would think the sides would be correct also?

Great project and thanks again for the info. It's great to get feedback from someone who's actually BTDT.
Brad Roberts
He didnt add any width because he is using the stock 993 rear tin piece. I *think* if he had tried to use a 9146 piece he would see the issue.

Ron,

we need to chat about this right here: 99% of the engine builders tell us not to block this off completely. The fan and its CFM where factored into the equation with a vent there.. They tell us to at least drill vent holes there and let it breath. They have seen weird cooling issues on the dyno with this blocked off (like fan cavitation) Just a thought.

B
Brad Roberts
It appears (after closer scrutiny) He is only using 1-2 pieces from the 993 tin on the back of the engine. You can see where he had to slot the rear piece right near the oil cooler because a screw hole didnt line up.

That is a crazy clutch setup Ron. Did this engine come out of sombody's race car ?? It has the tiny Tilton 5.5 style flywheel on it. I know of a comany who is working on a regualar organic compound discs so we can run that setup on the street.

B
Eric Taylor
Yeah, what clutch setup and tranny are you gona run with that thing?
Eric
Brad Roberts
This is what we run on the race cars with 915 tranny's.

B
Eric Taylor
droooolll
RON S.
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 3 2004, 03:10 PM)
It appears (after closer scrutiny) He is only using 1-2 pieces from the 993 tin on the back of the engine. You can see where he had to slot the rear piece right near the oil cooler because a screw hole didnt line up.

That is a crazy clutch setup Ron. Did this engine come out of sombody's race car ?? It has the tiny Tilton 5.5 style flywheel on it. I know of a comany who is working on a regualar organic compound discs so we can run that setup on the street.

B

Brad,
I did use some of the 993 original sheetmetal on the back of this engine to get the conversion pcs.to work out.
As far as the heater blockoff,I simply copied it off the picture from the old PMS website.
The flywheel,I picked up from the Hershey swapmeet back in 2002.Got the flywheel,sparators,& 3 discs for $400.00 It was a 3 disc Tilton setup off a 993/g50 combo.
I spent almost a year turning it,making an adaptor ring to install the timer ring & starter ring,then rebalanced it.It now weighs about 9 lbs.The problem was my ignorance,finding out after all the work that there are no organic discs to run it on the street.So,I quit w/it and its just sitting there.I also found there is only room inside the bellhousing to run 2 discs on this setup.Don't know if it'd matter.I was gonna buy a hydraulic throwout brg.But resigned to go back to a more normal clutch setup.

Ron
redshift
Ron, you are a 914 Badaaaassss!

Brad, you are a Porsche Savant! Rainman, and such.

"Brad always let's me drive.... yeah.."..

M
MJHanna
Ron,
So what trans are you going to run?
RON S.
The trans I have is a 915 box already setup w/a Vellios side shifter.
It's got a 7:31 R&P.All I lack in installing it is a T-B differential.That will happen sometime this year.
Ron
rick 918-S
Ron S., Brad or anyone that knows. Will the stock flywheel off that engine work with the 901 box? If no what mods need to be done to make it work? The reason I'm asking is the bolt circle looks like my 928 flywheel. I'm thinking I could use one of those stock off the shelf pieces on the 928 conversion instead of my custom job.
RON S.
Rich,
The engine had whats known as a dual mass flywheel which I still have.It would not fit into the bellhsg.of the 915 box.Starter ring& timer ring had to big of dia.
The timer ring was turned down .080 to fit the turned down flywheel,starter ring is early 911.
Plus,the dual mass flywheel alone,less pressplate&disc weighs in at 30lbs.
That 5-1/2"flywheel weighs 9lbs.and made from stainless steel.It has no mfg.marks on it so I don't know who made it.
Ron
East coaster
I'm gonna start a new thread on 3.6 to 915/901 flywheel questions. I know I have a few and it looks like it justifies a separate thread.
Ron,
VERY SWEET.

A few years back, I was wondering of a 3.6 swap..

I'm glad someone had the courage to do it.
Good luck! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.