Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Lotus Europa Info Useful
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTPatrick
Folks , I came across a website titled " Lotus Europa Central " the other night . And while checking it out , because Europa owners have to be creative in maintaining their cars too like 914 owners . I came across some simple plans in their tech article area for a homebuilt trailer . Several photos and 3 pages of plans someone came up with for towing hiw Europa around .

This maybe useful for 914 owners in towing to from local track events or maybe around town while taking it to another shop to be worked on . You guys may want to check it out .

Lotus Europa Central at Lotus-Europa.com .

Ciao for now .

GTP
jimkelly
thanks - direct link is

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/files/trai...pa/trailer.html
blitZ
Looks like an old boat trailer. Not sure if i would put a car on it.
GTPatrick
blitZ , . . . . you're right about it being lightly built but taking into consideration that the Europa is a little bit smaller than a 914 and is lighter too . Well it probably does a good job for towing a Europa around town or whatever .

But looking at the design and adding some crossbracing from corner to corner on the main frame and/or adding some gussetting at some corners schould beef it up enough for 914 towing use .

Any other ideas or opinions about this ? It could be a cheaper alternative for those who want to tow to an autoX site near them .

Just another crazy idea .

GTP beer.gif
jd74914
If it was double axle it would be a lot nice IMHO. I have towed 914's on single and double axle trailers and the doubles are much better. They are easier for the truck to pull (typically less tongue weight, and have more room on the trailer for extras.

That said, I would not hesitate to tow with a single axle provided that it was built strongly enough. On this thought it might just be easier to construct a custom frame than retrofit a boat trailer. It is still a great idea though for those who need a cheap and safe towing mechanism. smile.gif
alpha434
Wow.

You guys are cautious.

You should see what I've hauled RSRs on. That looks built much sturdier.
jimkelly
the problem with dual/double axle trailers is that in some states they are effected by annual inspections and the need for brake systems. jim
jd74914
Double axles with a GVW of over 3000lbs need brakes hear. My [18ft] trailer only hauls lawnmowers. laugh.gif
smg914
QUOTE(GTPatrick @ Dec 10 2007, 11:11 AM) *

blitZ , . . . . you're right about it being lightly built but taking into consideration that the Europa is a little bit smaller than a 914 and is lighter too . Well it probably does a good job for towing a Europa around town or whatever .

But looking at the design and adding some crossbracing from corner to corner on the main frame and/or adding some gussetting at some corners schould beef it up enough for 914 towing use .

Any other ideas or opinions about this ? It could be a cheaper alternative for those who want to tow to an autoX site near them .

Just another crazy idea .

GTP beer.gif

Wow, nice to see the Europa mentioned. I spend a lot of time on that particular website. A lot of great information in the "Knowledgebase" section. Just to clairify, the Lotus Europa weighs more than 500 pounds less than a 914. Here is a recent picture of my John Player Special.
shoguneagle
I like the trailer plans. Nice looking Lotus Europa. Besides 914's, I like and have had Alfa's and Lotus'. Still consider myself an "Alfisti" and a "Loti".

A few years ago Barry Spencer (from San Francisco East Bay) won SCCA Championship in an Europa powered by a Mazda Rotary. Hopefully I got the organization right.

Anyway, car looks great.

Steve Hurt
carr914
Steve, I knew it wouldn't take too long for the gratitious JPS picture. HeHe

T.C.
Eric_Shea
Mmmmmmmmm JPS, GT, Pristine -6. I'm not liking you much this morning! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.