Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High idle - need help again..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey guys:
My 76 2.0L 914 is idling around 1600 after it is warmed up (30 minutes). I have the throttle bleed screw turned all the way CW and the idle adjuster on the ECU turned all the way CW too.
I think you're all going to say vacuum leak, which I'd tend to agree with. Has anyone noticed the differences between Dave Darlings 2.0 hose diagram and the one you get from AA with their vac line kit? I can see 2 differences and tend to believe Dave's over the crappy hand drawn diagram from AA, but which one is right? Also, can someone tell me exactly how to test the AAR, decel valve, cold start valve and MPS?
Thanks guys as always for your help!
Andy....
redshift
take the AAR hose OFF of the air box, and thumb that hole closed.. rpm drop off from what it was?

Shouldn't

I have 3 bad ones if you need a second opinion. wink.gif

M
914zim
I have the air box removed to get at the lower hoses...
If I plug the hose you mentioned, nothing happens.
Does this mean the AAR is OK?
Thanks man!
Andy...
redshift
Means one of two things... maybe 3..

1. The AAR is stuck closed. (may still work!)

2. The AAR is warm enough to close when you test, and therefore, closed. (works!)

3. You are a moron, and you think the AAR is the CHT, you have a wire in your mouth, and it tastes like exhaust. (you need professional help) laugh.gif

When you start a cold motor, after a few seconds, the idle walks up to 1500-near 2000 rpm, it remains at higher idle (although it slows in time) until the AAR closes.

M
914zim
laugh.gif laugh.gif
I'm inclined to go with the first part of #3, but I defintely didn't have any wire in my mouth and I'm pretty sure which is the AAR (thanks to Brad's pic)...
So we're thinking maybe the AAR is flaky?
I heard they are NLA, but you can clean them up and make them work.
Can you tell me how to do that? Is there a bench test for these AARs?
Haynes says the idle should be a 900 rpms.
I ran my car for 30 minutes and it never go even close to 900 (maybe 1500).
I did notice a little change in the idle when I removed the hose from the decel valve.
This is one of the places were I saw differences between DD diagram and AA diagram.
I'll be checking in later this afternoon...
Thanks man!
Andy...
KenH
Be sure the vacuum retard is connected to the distributer. Be sure the timing was set with no vacuum hoses conected to the dirstributer.

Ken
redshift
Yes, could be uber-advanced... err.. over..

There are alot of posts about how to fix a FIXABLE AAR, let's plug it up for now, and worry about the other things we maybe can't fix.

smile.gif

M
914zim
Thanks guys.
I think I'll take off the AAR and clean it up.
I need something 914 to do during the Packers game!
Any other ideas are appreciated.
Andy...
redshift
To test the AAR (Make sure it gets hot) remove it, and attach a ground wire to the body, and hot (+12v) to the wire on it. Give it 5 minutes, and some..

P B'laster (available at Napa Auto Parts, and some of the other stores) is your friend.

You makle an indexing mark between the body, and the inlet (top angled one) and tap that off the top of the AAR. Then, saturate the guts with B'laster, and let it sit, then saturate it, and let it sit... use your pinky inside the hole, and twist it some, then saturate it, and get all the crud out.

Replace the inlet valve, paying attention to the alignment. (indexed to where your mark is)

M
Bleyseng
Check all you hoses for leaks and correct connections.

Geoff
Bleyseng
Here is a pic of the AAR
Gint
Geoff! Nice work! Did you annotate that engine pic? That needs to go into the 914 Info pages when this is through.
Bleyseng
Yeah, I did Photoshop it a couple of months ago for somebody. I post it all the time to help people see how the hoses are supposed to be. On the 75and 76 of course there are no valve breather hoses.

Lets get a admin to post it to help others.

Geoff
Gint
I'll take care of it.

More php stuffola... Andy or Jeroen will take care of it. LOL laugh.gif
Fastalswanson
Did you ever get your high idle fixed? If so, what was your real problem? Normally, if your AAR is good and you can turn the adjustment screw and nothing happens, your Throttle switch is either bad or not adjusted properly. The ECU does not know the engine is supposed to be idling because the TS is telling it the throttle is open. AL Swanson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.