Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Substitute liquid for testing fuel tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danny_Ocean
Title pretty much says it all. I need to test my fuel tank fittings with the tank removed and don't want to keep adding/draining gasoline (discovered leak after 1st install... headbang.gif ). Can anyone recommend a liquid which I can substitute for testing? Tank will be completely drained/dried before re-installation.
Allan
Water? confused24.gif
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 10 2007, 10:56 PM) *

Water? confused24.gif

Yeah, that was my first thought, but...there's that feeling in the pit of your stomach that says "water + fuel tank = IPB Image "
boxstr
14 year old single malt scotch.
CCL
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 10 2007, 11:15 PM) *

14 year old single malt scotch.
CCL

Hmmm....that would work. I could kill two birds with one stone (testing for leaks and getting my after-work drunk on).
GWN7
methonal

You can buy it at most FLAPS..........will show any leaks and you can mix it with gasoline when you get it right.

Drys really fast if you have to pull things again.

Wear gloves when using it as it can be absorbed thru the skin.
Elliot Cannon
Water is about the safest thing to use. I've used it before and works great. Dry it out good and it'll be fine.
Cheers, Elliot
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:57 PM) *

methonal

You can buy it at most FLAPS.......

Is there a brand name? Never saw methanol sold over-the-counter here. Whatza "FLAPS"?
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 11 2007, 12:13 AM) *

Water is about the safest thing to use. I've used it before and works great. Dry it out good and it'll be fine.
Cheers, Elliot

My only concern is viscosity. Water is "thicker" than gas and may not show all leaks... I'm thinking alcohol or something "thin".
boxstr
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store: FLAPS
CCL
jimtab
Methanol=denatured alcohol...at your local hardware store in the paint dept.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jimtab @ Dec 10 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Methanol=denatured alcohol...at your local hardware store in the paint dept.

Oh come on Jim! Tell him!!! You can only get it at ACE Hardware! biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
what are you going to do with 15 gallons or so of flamable liquids? water, cap the supply, return lines, and the vent at the top, then presurize the tank at the top with your compressor. low psi will do the trick.

k
Matt Meyer
How about just compressed air. LOW PRESSURE would tell if you have a good seal. Finding the leak might be a little difficult if you dont have a big tank attached.
911quest
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 11 2007, 10:04 AM) *

what are you going to do with 15 gallons or so of flamable liquids? water, cap the supply, return lines, and the vent at the top, then presurize the tank at the top with your compressor. low psi will do the trick.

k

You don't even need to use water just use air pressure and pressurize the tank to make sure it hold pressure. If you must use a solvent I would use saftey-kleen or what ever you use in your parts washer so you can recycle it.
messix
use water, then drain tank of water when testing is done,then pour 2 bottles of "heat" or some other water obsorbing additive to tank and fill with fuel.
Danny_Ocean
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Dec 11 2007, 03:01 PM) *

How about just compressed air. LOW PRESSURE would tell if you have a good seal. Finding the leak might be a little difficult if you dont have a big tank attached.

I know where it's leaking from (feed & return tubes). Just need to know if I've repaired the leak before re-installing for the second time.. mad.gif
rjames
You don't even need to use water just use air pressure and pressurize the tank to make sure it hold pressure. If you must use a solvent I would use saftey-kleen or what ever you use in your parts washer so you can recycle it.

agree.gif

Plus water in the tank just leads to a rusty tank.
GWN7
methonal is sold in most Northern climates as "gas line antifreeze" in small 2oz bottles for between $0.99- $2.49 per. A gallon cost me $12 the last time I bought some (built a 44 gal aux fuel tank for my motor home) and used it to test the welds. Dumped a couple gals in the new tank and covered the fill neck with part of a inner tube held on with a clamp...added some air from the compressor and sloshed the methonal around. No leaks

The methonal when put into your gas tank will absorb any water that in your gas tank and cause it to burn thru the system instead of sitting and rusting your tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.