Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fuel Injector Substitutes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I recently set out to identify possible substitute fuel injectors for stock 914s. With the interest in replacement PEFI, I thought it was important to identify any options for this important part. I have not obtained or physically tested any of the injectors below, the information is based only on published data from the internet and hard copy sources available to me.

The easiest solution is to identify identically performing fuel injectors that can be direct substitutes for the original part numbers. Direct substitutes are convenient because they can be installed into new PEFI installations or existing FI systems if original parts cannot be obtained. Criteria here include that the substitute be compatible physically for mounting purposes and identical in function/performance to the original injector. I was hoping to find new alternate injectors for <$50 each that were plentiful, but I could not find anything available.

As it turns I found information that the original Bosch pintle-style injectors are a very robust design and are the only physically similar injectors, allowing stock 914 mounting hardware and fuel/electrical connections, which for this option is important. No manufacturer makes anything similar or easily adaptable. Several different Bosch injectors are excellent matches for original 914 injector part numbers, why Bosch offers several seemingly identical injectors with different PNs I am not certain, but there are hints that the injector bodies are very similar if not identical, it’s only the attached hose that is different – short/long, straight or angled. Hoses are easily changed. A side by side comparison and testing would be important to distinguish actual differences. Don’t think that 914 injector flows are hugenormous, The original PN injectors are nicely sized and capable of supplying sufficient fuel for 914 engines with only short duty cycles, which contributes to their durability and long service life. Bosch makes several injectors with comparatively enormous flow rates much greater than 914 injectors.

Substitute identical injectors I found were all about the same price, and mostly made for Volvos and Mercedes Benz’ of the same vintage as the 914 using D-Jet fuel injection, which raises a concern. Not only are these substitute injectors no less expensive than the 914 part number, it would seem likely that at sometime in the future when Bosch decides to no longer support 914 injectors they might also drop all injectors of this design and era, so at that time, this straight substitution will not be an option. Who knows when or if that might be?

The chart below shows several possible substitute Bosch part numbers that seem to be sufficiently identical to the original 914 injectors. I found at least one source for each of them, with only a brief search.

A second solution uses physically identical injectors, but part numbers with different functional characteristics, compensating with PEFI tuning to make them work. I don’t think this is the easiest solution, but it could certainly work well. They should easily mount right up, but one problem is that these Bosch pintle-style injectors that may go obsolete. Another issue is that tuning a PEFI with these parts requires a commitment to those specific parts, or retuning using different parts in the future may be required.

Great news though…check out the injectors that are bolt-ins for the 1.8L 914, especially part number 0 280 150 114 for many VWs. I found this PN available from several sources for as little $65 new. They require electrical connector swaps (easy), but there are so many cars that use them, including newer cars than the 914 that they should be plentiful for many years to come. These injectors will require longer duty cycles, but nothing extreme.

A third option which I see as the last resort or only for very special needs is to use other suitable injectors of any physical design and functional characteristics. This is the most difficult option, promising at this point in time, little if any benefit to most owners. Newer style injectors could be selected and a PEFI could be tuned to work. Fabrication work would be necessary to configure a fuel rail and other mounting and electrical requirements, which for many is not possible or expensive in terms of time and/or cost. I perceive this to be the most expensive option in time and cost, for undetermined benefit.

Thought I would pass what information I found for reference…use it at your own risk.

Do you know of any other options?
McMark
Wow, Jeff, that's really cool. Very interesting stuff. I can think of a few ways to make a bolt on fuel rail that doesn't require fabrication skills. If that opens up more doors, maybe we should look into that option.
rick 918-S
Nice work Jeff. I used a couple of injectors from a 1984 BMW 533I in my 1.7 once in a pinch. I don't know if it caused any real problems.. it ran...
p914
Hey Jeff
Great info. Here's another chart of Injector part#s and stats.Click to view attachment
jimkelly
this looks promising

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=77265&hl=

450sel pn seems to be 57512

at www.partsamerica.com

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....677&PTSet=A
toon1
Is your plan to go to a PEFI?

Jake Raby
Great info..
We'll be offering (stock) intake manifolds fitted with newer model Bosch injectors with a special weld in bung in 08..

Of course the stock FI guys can't use these due to the impedence differences but it makes plenum based EFI much easier.

I'll be testing them on the dyno Thursday and Friday of this week on a RAT/SDS retrofit equipped 2056..

With these there are hundreds of injectors that will drop right in with no issue at all..
rick 918-S
Jake, Are your intakes larger inside as well? Otherwise maybe an adaptor could be fashioned to fit the stock bung,... just thinking out loud. idea.gif confused24.gif
Jake Raby
No, these are stock runners with the bung modification made to them...

The stock 2.0 runners support my 155HP common plenum 2270-155 combo very well.
toon1
ALso , some newer style inj's have an O ring on the tip side that slips into a bore rather that a sandwich fit like the stock 914
Root_Werks
I searched and found this thread with really great info on it. I have one injector on my 914 that isn't doing anything and am 99% sure it's dead. Anyone ever try the Benze Fuel Injector as a sub? Looks like a match to me.
idea.gif
Spoke
Anyone familiar with these injectors on Ebay? They're remanufactured 4 for $120 shipped.

Ebay Injectors
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 24 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Anyone familiar with these injectors on Ebay? They're remanufactured 4 for $120 shipped.

Ebay Injectors

1.8 Ljet injectors, not that hard to find and they flow less than 1.7 injectors...it's the 2.0 injectors that are hard to get.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 11 2007, 09:34 AM) *

I ordered just one injector for now. $50, Not bad at all. All the same specs. I report back if and how it works. If it does well, I might get 3 more to match the set? idea.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2008, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 24 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Ebay Injectors

1.8 Ljet injectors, not that hard to find and they flow less than 1.7 injectors...it's the 2.0 injectors that are hard to get.

aren't Those 912-E injectors......Ljet on 2.0?....working off my bad memory again. idea.gif
Root_Werks
Sooooo, I got my injector today.
Root_Werks
I don't think the injector would be made in Germany?
Root_Werks
Check out the tip!
Root_Werks
Other than the tip being a little different and slightly shorter, they are the same. 914 seems to run just fine now. Do I dare get 3 more?
JeffBowlsby
Kuhl Dan....Are these the equivalent to the 0280 150 036 injectors? The specs match 2.0L injectors and its nice to know there is an alternative. shades.gif

I wonder what the significance of the tritip is? idea.gif
Root_Werks
I duno, but man, it sure looks cool! w00t.gif
Root_Werks
Jeff, yes it's the 036 injector. Which also leads me to wonder... the injector I pulled out was an 019 from a 73-74 and my injection was suppose to be from a 76'. I have learned it is quite the frankensiened set up. I think I'll get 3 more and see what happens. happy11.gif driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
Gives new meaning to the term 'Multi-port Injection'

happy11.gif
McMark
TriPort injectors are just a different 'valve' technology. Plenty of cars use them.
Root_Werks
That's good to know. This might be a good alt for those hard to get 2.0 injectors? I report back on this thread when I get the other 3. But first, I have to get a windshield. Priorities.
3liter914-6
Some of the FI beetle guys have been modifying L-Jet style injectors for use in D-jet applications. They dremel off the plastic around the injector inlet, and use a CIS injector seal in place of the lower o-ring. If I were replacing injectors in a stock D-jet system I'd probably stick with the Neihoff, but for MS or other aftermarket EFI it's a pretty appealing option.

IPB Image
rjames
If I were replacing injectors in a stock D-jet system I'd probably stick with the Neihoff

Especially at only $50 bucks per injector. That's about 1/3rd the cost of a new 2.0 injector (if you can find one).
jk76.914
As I reported at the time, I installed the Niehoff injectors for MB 450 back in September '06. I've been running them for about two years now with zero problems. I got them at PartsAmerica.com for under $50 each brand new. Only mod needed was hose changeover. Donut seals are standard 914. Pic below is passenger side rail after retrofitting with 914 elbow hoses.

Click to view attachment
jk76.914
Just checked my records. Actually I put the Niehoffs in 3 years ago, and have had zero problems. Photo below is the business end. Also, when I bought my Niehoffs, I got 3 of this type, plus one of the pintle valve style. Apparently, Niehoff was in changeover from the older style to the newer one. PartsAmerica looked in their warehouse and found them mixed, and replaced my one older style injector with the newer one.

Click to view attachment

Surfing the web, I found an interesting article in a GM tech manual. I reproduced one page below... Looks like the Niehoff may be a takeoff on the newer GM "Multec" design, as used in their V8 port fuel injection systems and others....

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
This has turned out to be a really great info thread. Very happy it was started, found and now updated with tons of great information.
Cevan
I may need a 2.0 injector. Partsamerica.com is gone (the two companies split apparently O'Reilly Auto and Advance Auto). I found these at O'Reilly Auto for $51.99.

These appear to be the same ones jk76.914 is using.
sean_v8_914
I have used these guys several times. $18 an injector. you must have cores. works great. flow is measured and recorded. I then match sets that flow the same volume.
http://witchhunter.com/
jk76.914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 25 2009, 12:42 PM) *

I may need a 2.0 injector. Partsamerica.com is gone (the two companies split apparently O'Reilly Auto and Advance Auto). I found these at O'Reilly Auto for $51.99.

These appear to be the same ones jk76.914 is using.

Yeah. Those are mine, but like I said, when I received them, three were of the newer ball valve style, and one was like the picture. oreillyauto.com is the new partsamerica.com, same login and password, still has my account info and list of cars......

Next month, I'll give an update as to how the Niehoffs are running. Once I get a few hundred 2009 miles on it.

Jim
Zaffer
Bringing up a long dead thread, but feel it's still relevant.

I am looking to either send my injectors off to have them rebuilt or just get new ones from Rock Auto. I'm considering not rebuilding mine as 2 are in very questionable shape due to rust on the exterior and I only currently have 5 for the 2.0L. I do also have four injectors that were sold to me as being for the 2.0L, but when I checked the numbers, they are actually for the 1.8L headbang.gif

The ones from Rock Auto are here:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche...l+injector,6224

Not a bad price at all, but don't know much about this company as far as quality goes. The price for equivalent ones from a MB 450SE are here and almost $20/injector cheaper, but same company:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercede...l+injector,6224

Just wanted to get some input since the thread died and no updates were given as to how well the MB injectors did vs. the original 914 ones.

FYI: I did a check for the Niehoff ones and can't find them anywhere so guessing they're no longer around? If anyone has any info., please let me know.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Zaffer @ Apr 27 2020, 10:32 AM) *

I am looking to either send my injectors off to have them rebuilt or just get new ones...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343970
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 27 2020, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Apr 27 2020, 10:32 AM) *

I am looking to either send my injectors off to have them rebuilt or just get new ones...

@GregAmy
are you using these injectors with your 2056 build? from reading this thread i see the CC/mn on our OEM bosch was 380, and these are more at like 480, does that work better with the 2056 than stock?

Phil

EDIT : sorry looks like from this thread its 452CC -

JamesM
Figure I would post a couple things here for public record

NOTE: I have not personally tried these but they appear to be a possibility for d-jet cars
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/1968-1973-4...ack-squareback/

I do however run these with megasquirt builds wherever I am using the stock intake runners.
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/a280-a380-h...-fuel-injector/

Bolt on and high impedance so no need to add a resistor setup, higher pressure for better atomization and more accurately sized for our needs
GregAmy
@DRPHIL914

Phil, as does James, I'm using 280cc high-impendance injectors with the Microsquirt 2056 engine:

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/a280-a380-h...-fuel-injector/

280cc is plenty enough flow for what I'm doing. I don't know how to convert TunerStudio settings to duty cycle, but I do note that they're working fine and even small changes in the map are effective. So I really don't feel like I'm hitting a duty cycle that's making them work too hard.

The only thing that makes me go "hmmm" with alternate injectors for D-Jet is that if they are not comparable fuel flows to stock then you're going to be rich or lean. The only alternative you'd have at that point with the stock ECU is to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and try to adjust your AFRs with that.

Follow that thread I linked above. The guy had his stock injectors flow tested, then compared it to the FJ67 and found them comparable.

Greg
Uraquan
For those using the FJ67 injector, what are you using in place of the regular injector seal?

I tried using some o rings to match the depth of the normal seal but I can feel an air leak around the injector.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Uraquan @ Dec 11 2021, 11:23 AM) *

For those using the FJ67 injector, what are you using in place of the regular injector seal?

I tried using some o rings to match the depth of the normal seal but I can feel an air leak around the injector.

I am using the normal seals on mine.
FlacaProductions
i'm using the normal ones as well - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk...2Q62hzl9wY6q8rs
iankarr
Another vote for normal. I rarely get to say I'm doing something normal, so...
Uraquan
Looks like the normals have it!

I think I got tunnel vision on not liking that the injector spray point was more outboard from the airstream than the OEM injector. So I tried the O rings to get it a little further in but didn't make up for the difference in the rubber mount around the injector.

The normal seal is in and no air leaks. Another lesson in leaving the engineering work to the engineers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.