Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie muffler opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
I have a '70 1.7 and am thinking of changing to a "sport" muffler. Opinions on bursch and ansa vs. stock muffler on performance and sound. Thanks!!
highways
I'm no expert, and I don't know the best for a 1.7

But I do know one word: Triad

Bursch is also great

Ansa I think you want to run the other way. But I got one I'll sell you cheap if you didn't read the previous sentence.
Tom
The Triad is great, but I don't thing Dave makes one for the 1.7 or 1.8 style heat ex's. You would need to update to 2.0 ex's or have your 1.7 ex's modified to use a Triad. That's what I did fir my 76. Back dated to 2.0 ex's and a Triad.
Tom
jimkelly
if your exhaust is good - stick with it until it rusts thru.

then bump up to 1.7/1.8 style stainless steel heat exhangers and a bursh.

2.0 SSHE's are hard to find.

jim

Chris Pincetich
I'm sure others will chime in, but from my experience with only the OEM 1.7 muffler and the posts of others, the OEM muffler is quietest and not much drop in performance....the Bursch "collector" does yield minor gains, like 2-5 hp maybe maybe not, BUT anything other than OEM is LOUD.

I went 4->1 headers, 2.5" OD collector to a Flowmaster type muffler. It's WAY better for power and WAY louder. beerchug.gif
welcome.png
markwemple
OK, other than the material it is made from, what is the difference between a stock heat exchanger and a SSI. (I know the difference w/911s but am new to the 914) Thanks!!
jimkelly
more inner diameter due to narrower wall thickness.

i am holding a nickel up to sshe.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(markwemple @ Dec 11 2007, 05:38 PM) *

I have a '70 1.7 and am thinking of changing to a "sport" muffler. Opinions on bursch and ansa vs. stock muffler on performance and sound. Thanks!!

I've tried both Ansa & Bursch through the years (long time ago), both in conjunction with SSI's. Ansa is godd for about 2-3 years of daily driving before it rots off! Nice looking when new, but crap, though nice sound.

Bursch is LOUD & sounds gorgeous on an early 911, especially when backing off the throttle. Also, in my humble opinion, a piece of crap. Lasts only marginally longer than Ansa. I didn't find any performance increase from either.

Stock - lasts a long time. Yeah, sounds like a VW when new, but it's dependable & doesn't piss off your nieghbors.

Can't say enough about the good old SSI's. Had mine for 30 years & they still look & perform as new.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 11 2007, 07:19 PM) *

Bursch is LOUD & sounds gorgeous on an early 911, especially when backing off the throttle. Also, in my humble opinion, a piece of crap. Lasts only marginally longer than Ansa. I didn't find any performance increase from either.

Stock - lasts a long time. Yeah, sounds like a VW when new, but it's dependable & doesn't piss off your nieghbors.

Pat

My experience with both Bursch and stock.......

yea, what he said... agree.gif

Paul

Oh yea......... welcome.png Good to have you here!
Trevorg7
I've got a Bursch on my 1.7 and it is nice. A bit louder than OEM but not bad.

T
Tom
Two sets of stainless for sale in parts for sale by a member. If I didn't already have them on mine, I'd be looking at these.
Tom
rhodyguy
dave ellison has made a jig and is ramping up to produce Triad exhaust systems to fit 1.7/1.8 style heat exchangers. i saw the proto when we were down installing morgan's euro spec 2.0. no doubt dave will be able to sell them as fast as he can produce them.

k
Spoke
Keep your 1.7L stock. A small engine shouldn't try to make noise with it's muffler. Kinda reminds me of all the Asian imports I see driving around Allentown, lowered at all 4 corners with 18 inch wheels, 35 series tires, tinted windows, with ghetto mufflers, makin' all sorts of noise with their little turd engines.

IMO, if you want some more HP out of your 914, scrap the 1.7L and find yourself a good 2L engine. Owning both a 1.7 and 2.0, the 2.0 is a totally different ride with almost enough power to be fun. The 1.7 needs a heavier right foot and lots of revs to get the car moving.

Spoke
Brando
Upgrade to early 2.0 style Stainless Heat Exchangers. You may need the rest of the heating parts (little J tubes and whatnots). Best to sandblast and paint those together.

After that point, a Triad or Bursche muffler would be best.

If you've got nearly $2k, there's Tangerine's EVO header/exhaust. Best bang for the buck on a /4, period. And yes, he makes a heater setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.