Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear camber adjustment shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
Has anyone seen these metal wedges used before to adjust the rear camber? Or are these something the factory cooked up because this was one of the last cars made. Far as I know this is the factory set up.
Looking at the picture you can see the end of the wedge sticking out between the shim.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
I just went through a box today that had over 1000 alignment shims in it (for 914's) I personally have never seen that wedge. Doesnt mean they didnt use them..but it appears somebody was trying to compensate for a bent control arm.

What scares me: how much thread engagement do you have on the 3 bolts ?? I have to run custom length bolts when I get remotely close to that kind of shimming.

B
Bleyseng
Brad, I'll check on the how much thread is engaged. It's lasted this way for quite awhile (27yrs) but it's worth fixing right. I think the other side has 'em too. With all the undercoating being undisturbed, that is why I thought it was factory work. It always has bothered me as "Mickey Mouse". How many shims can you stack? I have some extras now that the '70 is gone to the recyclers.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
How long have you owned the car ?? Dont be fooled by untouched black goo. A lot of it was added by body shops after accidents.. LOL

I can stack 1/2 an inch before I get scared and thread engagement becomes an issue.

B
Bleyseng
I have owned it for 7 years. The only body work I have found was to the right front fender and door. Thats why it is primered now, it was rusting under the paint. The car when I got it was stock as far as I can tell, had carbs though. Why on both sides?
76s.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
No answer. I have seen alignment shops who have NO idea where to get shims... they will make something up or use a shim from another car. Most alignment shops dont even know the rear is adjustable. The look it up in the computer...and it doesnt show unless they buy the feature pack that has early cars.

I would like to see if the shims cover all 3 bolts like the OE ones do. I cant tell from that pick.

B
Bleyseng
Yes, there are 3 wedges per side so one per bolt. I'll pull a bolt out tomorrow to see how long they are.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.