Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A five-lug wheel and tire odyssey: 205/55 to 195/65 to 185/70
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
So I've been on a return my car to 1973 kick... and the wheels and tires are the latest step. Next up, NARP reflector removal.

Anyway, I searched and searched and found few threads that offered me a chance to really look at the various choices.

So... here's some pics I took along the way.

First up is the car as it's been since 1992, on 15x6 "Deep Six" Fuchs with polished lips, silver painted centers, and 205/55ZR15 tires (in this case Yoko ES100s, which I hated with a passion).
horizontally-opposed
Closer-up...
horizontally-opposed
And on the set of borrowed, original-finish 15x6 deep sixes that convinced me to go back to stock.

They're wearing 195/65R15 Yoko A-008Ps. Yes, they were old and hard, and man do I wish they were still available...
horizontally-opposed
One more with 195/65s...
horizontally-opposed
And, finally, with my old 15x6 "deep sixes" refinished in factory finishes with one exception, the paint line dropped to accentuate the depth of the lips.

Tires are 185/70R15 Vredestein Sprint Classics. Still deciding if I like their grip characteristics, but I think I do with my meager 80-90 hp. Steering feel is definitely sweeter, and the ride is nice, but not *too* plush, really.
horizontally-opposed
Detail... Oh, and I did get a set of new center caps finished to match these, but hadn't put them on for the pics... sorry!

If there is enough interest, I can reshoot them with the center caps...
horizontally-opposed
Another, slightly different angle of the 185/70
horizontally-opposed
front 3/4
horizontally-opposed
angle shift...
horizontally-opposed
rear-ish
horizontally-opposed
And...last one.

All up, I dig the new look and the fact it is period-correct, but I do miss the "uniqueness" of the old silver wheel with polished lip look. However, I like the fact that the wheels now complement the rest of the 914's bright and black finishes.

I also miss some of the aggressive stance contributed by having 205s filling out the fenders. On the other hand, I dig the fact the taller tires fill out the fender cut-outs both vertically AND horizontally, the latter being an aesthetic "problem" with low-profile rubber on 914s.

I'd be tempted to move to 195/65s or 205/60s to fill out the fenders, but there are none I like in terms of vintage-looking sidewalls and non-alien tread patterns. I think I am leaning towards thin spacers in back and fairly aggressive spacers up front to fill out the fender wells, a problem that's most noticeable in the photo in the post above. And this is with 911 front suspension. The narrower 914 four-lug setup would be even worse!!!

I know there are others who could care less about sidewall and/or tread pattern aesthetics (I used to be among them), but I am starting to view my 914 differently. I don't plan on driving it any slower, but I do like the idea of tires that look like they're from the period and, more importantly, accentuate "feel."

Now, if I get a killer motor, the only way to fly might be a set of Yoko R-compounds in 205/60R15. The good news with those is the sidewalls are simple...

Hope this is an informative thread for someone trying to visualize differing options when it comes to 914s...
LarryR
Call me crazy but I like it with the 205's. That is one sweet car! Looking forward to seeing it some day.

Larry
KaptKaos
Sweet car and interesting take on the aesthetics. Not my cup of tea, but very cool. Keep up the good work!
Challe
Nice car! I'm up to change my wheels and chosing betwen 185, 195 and 205, (today I'm still using 165s biggrin.gif ) so your pictures and input will be a guidline for me.

McMark
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 10:41 PM) *

On the other hand, I dig the fact the taller tires fill out the fender cut-outs both vertically AND horizontally, the latter being an aesthetic "problem" with low-profile rubber on 914s.

agree.gif

The new stuff looks GREAT! Nice move Pete!
roadster fan
Nice comparison. I like the 195's, but I appreciate your search for the period aesthetic.

Thanks for the great photos they will be very helpful when it is time to make these similiar choices on my ride.

Jim
atomix8
Hmmm, I had never considered going with tires that skinny before. However I know it would regain a lot of the steering precision that is being lost through my rather large contact patch right now. That said, hardly anyone makes a summer tire I like in my sizes anymore. 205/60's sound like a like a decently attractive option too..

Dunlop SP8000's on 8x15" Fuch's
225/50's up front
245/50's out back

Really good look, thanks for all the pics!
Krieger
Sweet Pete! I do like the silver, but not for my paddles, maybe on all the verticle areas to subdue it.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 11 2007, 10:47 PM) *

Call me crazy but I like it with the 205's. That is one sweet car! Looking forward to seeing it some day.

Larry

I won't call you crazy. I miss the width of the 205s from a visual standpoint, and I kinda miss the silver centers, too.

Then I start diggin' the new setup.

So I'd say it's not a hands-down for me. Best solution: get a second set of wheels and tires! biggrin.gif

pete
Porcharu
Who did the wheel refinishing? I would love to have my wheels un-polished as I hate the way they look on my car - to much bling for me.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 12 2007, 11:37 AM) *

Who did the wheel refinishing? I would love to have my wheels un-polished as I hate the way they look on my car - to much bling for me.

Wiedman's Wheels in Oroville, California.

He charges about $285 per wheel to do this setup, which is rough and clear anodized plus the black backgrounds.

Word to the wise, however: think carefully about the rough anodized lip inlays and paddle sides, as they're a nightmare to keep clean.

If I was on a budget (and I am!), I would probably see about having the lip edge polished lightly (or doing it myself) and then doing the rest of the wheel in black and silver paint. I've seen a number of cars with this setup now and it looks great right up until you get REALLLLLY close and realize that you've been fooled.

I believe Al Reed in Los Angeles does this setup, but I suspect Harvey would do it, too.

pete

Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment

Very interesting. I have been agonizing over tires to install as I take my '69 912 Targa back to chromes/hub caps from the Fuchs now on it. The Fuchs have 185/65's which are too short for me. I have considered 195/65 which is the right height.
I too am a "period correct" freak and have thought about the 165 Michelins from Coker. But they are $137 a copy, plus shipping and mount/balance.
Maybe the Vredestein 185/70 is the answer. I believe the size was optional on early 912/911's. What do you think Pete?
Gint
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Detail... Oh, and I did get a set of new center caps finished to match these, but hadn't put them on for the pics... sorry!

Please do.

Beautiful car. I don't think I could decide. But I'll have to go through a similar exercise next summer.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 12 2007, 04:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Very interesting. I have been agonizing over tires to install as I take my '69 912 Targa back to chromes/hub caps from the Fuchs now on it. The Fuchs have 185/65's which are too short for me. I have considered 195/65 which is the right height.
I too am a "period correct" freak and have thought about the 165 Michelins from Coker. But they are $137 a copy, plus shipping and mount/balance.
Maybe the Vredestein 185/70 is the answer. I believe the size was optional on early 912/911's. What do you think Pete?

Hey Jim!

I too looked at the Michelins, but I think the 165s are just too skinny. And the 185/70R15 Michelin XWXs (the new black among early 911 nuts) are $300 a pop. Sorry, but that's more than I was paying for N-spec 265/35ZR18s for the back of our Boxster.

Then I found the Vreds. It came down to those, Pirelli P6000s (available in great sizes, 195/65 and 205/60) or BFG Radial T/A (talk about old school) in 205/60 sizing. In the end, I went with the Vreds, which look very similar to the Coker/Michelin XWXs, but are a thoroughly modern tire and a very popular choice in Europe among classic car people. I bought them from Rich at Fairmount Tire in LA for a little under $100 a tire, then added a 165SR15 Vred for a "space-saver" spare. Their number: (323) 750-8676

That looks like a really nice 912, and I dig that you are going back to steel wheels on it. However, have you seen a 911 or 912 in your color with plain silver steel wheels? It looks so, so good with that beige. And even better lowered a bit without hubcaps...though I fully recognize that might not be the look you're after! If a slightly aggressive stance is something that interests you, a set of the 195/65 P6000s on plain steel wheels without caps would look phenomenal (in my book)!

Anyway, anyway you go, that sure looks like a nice car!

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 12 2007, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Please do.

Beautiful car. I don't think I could decide. But I'll have to go through a similar exercise next summer.

Hey Mike,

Will try to do it next time I bring the car up to the office!

pete
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachmentThanks Pete for the info and encouragement. I have collected a set of 5.5 steels that need blasting and paint. When the bank account permits I plan to put some tires on them. Everyone needs three sets of wheels/tires, right!
I was planning some cheap Kuhmo 165's but the Pirellis/no caps alternative is tempting.
The PO removed the chromes on my car and sold them. I tracked down the buyer and got them back. Hope to have them on by spring, likely with the Vredsteins. As you can see from the pic above, the wheel wells are "empty" with the low profile tires. Lowering a bit would also help.
horizontally-opposed
Mike,

Here's this for now (stolen from my Saratoga top swap ad).

I'll try to get some dedicated shots in the next week.

pete
Gint
I saw that pic in the classifieds. Great looking 914.

Al Reed called me today. My 6x16's are coming home. I'll get pics after they arrive and post 'em up.
orange914
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2007, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 10:41 PM) *

On the other hand, I dig the fact the taller tires fill out the fender cut-outs both vertically AND horizontally, the latter being an aesthetic "problem" with low-profile rubber on 914s.

agree.gif

The new stuff looks GREAT! Nice move Pete!

i like the 205x60x15's on my sons 73. we really size shopped to find what wouldnt look to low pro on the 15's but "still aggresively square" not bulbuos (?). we had a set of 17's with low pro's that we mocked up and they looked real cool (updated look). but i dont like the lo profile look on 15's, just too small barf.gif
rick 918-S
Hi Pete!

Nice ride! aktion035.gif driving.gif
SGB
I dropped in 1/2 inch spacers from CB's on the front and it made a significant difference in the way the front tire (205/50) filled the opening. It will require new lug bolts y'know.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 13 2007, 08:42 PM) *

I saw that pic in the classifieds. Great looking 914.

Al Reed called me today. My 6x16's are coming home. I'll get pics after they arrive and post 'em up.

PLEASE do. 16x6s with 205/55R16s could be my next move for a second set of wheels. You can then get virtually any great tire made.

pete
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment

205/55's on 7x16's. Had to roll the rears and pull them a little. You may have to do that with 6's as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.