Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
So I have this 2.7 that I need to see if it starts. IF it does start, I need to start thinking about the oil tank. The one in there is a 911 tank and it's cut into the trunk, which won't do. I have heard of others putting the tank in the front trunk. I have also seen repo oil tanks, but those are $$$.

Anyone have hints or tips for this. I am just trying to get an idea of what I am looking at.

Thanks!
thesey914
I honestly reckon it's just best to buy a repro or factory tank. End of story.
I swore i would never pay the price for a piece of pressed metal and bought a Peterson tank for the front. Then I actually started measuring up and deciding where to cut...
In the end I realized the simplest way was to stump up for a proper tank. I don't think I would've been happy with anything else and I'm glad I realized before I started cutting my tub.
factor in the lines, filter etc and it's probably cheaper in the long run.

John has made a very nice job of fitting front oil tanks but it's not for me.
McMark
For my car, I couldn't fathom abandoning the complete front trunk for an oil tank. The factory location is a little more expensive, but you save the utility of your front trunk. Priceless.... cool.gif
rfuerst911sc
I purchased the aftermarket DW Design tank. It is all aluminum,powdercoated and is a thing of beauty. It uses OEM oil filter and hoses. Also keep an eye out for used on the classifieds of the various 914 forums. While 700.00 to 800.00 is not cheap there are good "bargains" out there in this range. And I agree keep the trunk space for storage not for oil tanks.
sww914
I've seen 2 cars that had a 911 oil tank mounted in the front trunk. Both of them wasted their engine due to drops in oil pressure right after start up. If the tank height isn't perfect or if there's a dip or rise in the oil lines, the oil will run to the lowest point, create an air bubble in the suction line, and deprive the oil pump for a few seconds.
That's really bad for engines.
sww914
Plus, Don at DW Design is a really good friend of mine.
swood
Is there really anything wrong (albeit a deviation from stock) with the setup as it is now? The trunk is already cut up and the tank is pretty close to where it should be...just pump and dump and put some fresh oil in. Just my .02 and of course it aint worth jack.

smile.gif
jd74914
The tank looks like it sits only a few inches (if that) above the headers.
LarryR
Wow I just looked at the DW design tank that is sweet. I dont see how you could beat that. 700 bucks for a tank that bolts into the factory location.

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/EngineRelated.html

Heck those front mounted tanks are 500.
SLITS
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 12 2007, 07:37 PM) *

The tank looks like it sits only a few inches (if that) above the headers.

While the stock tank in a /6 is not subject to heat per se, it is in a closed location with minimal airflow. Secondly, on a stock /6 the hard line from the engine to the hole in the drivers' engine shelf runs between the HEs, cylinders and head exhaust pipes .... the line is made of metal.

Further, I believe there is sufficient airflow so as not to cause a significant increase in oil temp. The oil is pretty well constantly moving (in the scavenge line too).

My opinion and mine only.
GeorgeRud
I would also opt for a tank in the stock location, the engineering is already done for you. Keep in mind the the extra cost of oil lines back and forth can be expensive if you're using Aeroquip braided line of the corrrect size (-16 is recommended, -12 is marginal).

However, there was someone who made a tank that fit in the area where the battery usually sits ( I seem to think it was Beach Boys Racing or one of their friends from out in CA) that seemed to be a pretty neat solution as well.
woobn8r
Since my car is not a "real" six I have no problems deviating from stock.

My oil tank (Peterson $379) will go where the battery usually sits...oil lines go up passenger side. Tank height/proximity to engine...all good.
My battery will move to where the fuel tank originally resides...
and My fuel tank will move to the front trunk....(just like the degreeoff resto... see link)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...72941&st=20

This configuration will keep the weight on the passenger side and help balance the front/rear bias.
The front trunk will still be useable (albeit with a little less room) but, I'm not going on any extended trips with my 914 and it's not a daily driver.... so it doesn't matter anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.