Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you clean magnesium?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
Hey guys, just wondering, is there some chemical method to clean the squirrel fan?

I wont be doing any blasting, just to head off the suggestion.

I want to clean the fan with some sort of chemical as i think if i go after it with a wire brush i'll break fins (which is the whole reason i got a 'new' fan to begin with)

Soooo, what do you guys recommend?

I found a site that said DONT use lemon juice as it blackens it. I heard some 'no scrub' cleaner in a bath.

Could I put it in the dishwasher after I remove the pulley?

Thanks guys!
woobn8r
even if you blast it it'll go dark grey again in no time flat....you must paint, plate or clearcoat to stop this .

purple
I was planning on painting it 'aluminum' it's getting it to clean metal that i'm asking about
Joe Ricard
Wash with soap and water or some Purple power diluted in water.
stick it in a bucket and scrub with tooth brush. rinse dry prime and paint.
purple
Thanks Joe, always a pleasure!

What kind of primer would be best? self-etch or just the regular grey stuff?
Eric_Shea
Whatever you do... do not use a degreaser (Gunk etc.) They "will" pit the mag. BAD.

For mag. I'd recommend plastic or walnut media blasting but... you're not going that route.
914Sixer
Won't painting change the balance of the fan and everything behind it?
purple
I'm sure painting has less of an effect than the broken blades on my old fan...
woobn8r
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 12 2007, 08:41 PM) *

Won't painting change the balance of the fan and everything behind it?

Naw, they don't sell paint with lead in it anymore....
Katmanken
Self etch is probably a good choice. Zinc chromate is best, it's higher on the periodic table and rusts first.

As I have said many times many ways, the grey stuff is porous and it will rust through it.....

Google cleaning magnesium,
GS Guy
I tried a few different treatments on my mag transaxle case. First was a general "grease and gunk" removal cleaning, and to be honest mineral spirits worked way and above the best for this. You can get the no-odor type now which works great and doesn't stink!
Still had lots of "barnicles" so proceeded to use abrasive scotch discs and pads, both by hand and rotary tool. This did a very nice job removing the scale, but left an uneven coloring of the case (semi-shiny where abrasives were used, dull gray elsewhere). I wanted an even finish, and was planning on using the Gibbs product to protect the magnesium long term. I then tried applying some of the KBS Coatings Rust Blast, which is the pre-treatment prior to applying their POR 15 like top coating. This seemed to lightly "convert" the mag to a darker but uniform color all over, which once rinsed and dried left a pretty even nice gray color that lightened up some over a day or so. I then sprayed it down with Gibbs and was looking good!
However, shortly after that the tranny innards were to be sent out for the Evil treatment, and once the case was fully stripped down it needed re-cleaning. I once again used the mineral spirits, followed immediately with an Orange based liquid cleaner (my favorite water based degreaser), water rinse and dry. Case now all nice and clean, but all traces of the Gibbs now gone. After sitting now for a few weeks its starting to get that whitish powdery residue on the metal.

I need a finish that will take well to periodic soap and water cleaning, keep a nice good looking finish and not need time consuming re-treatments of the Gibbs, so have decided to paint it. For now, the plan is (once re-assembled) to re-treat it with the Rust Blast, rinse and dry very well, then use a self etching primer followed by either Rustoleum industrial aluminum paint - or I "may" try some Duplicolor dark gray wheel paint, which is supposed to be durable and looks good too! Looking for a low maintenance but good looking finish to keep the trans looking new.

YMMV!
Jeff
purple
thanks for all the input guys, I cleaned it with a combo of simple green, soap & water, brake cleaner, pot brush, toothbrush and compressed air. It took forever but it's clean!

I painted with self etch and covered with 'aluminum' engine enamel. I stripped the rust off the pulley after taking it off. A little tip, the pulley screws use the same tool that the CV joint bolts do. Glad I had one! I used a wire wheel on that and etched/flat blacked the pulley. Put it all together and it looks FABULOUS!

Thanks for the help guys!!
smontanaro
got pix?

S

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.