Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I am getting ready to put my motor and tranny back in the car. Now would be the time to get new motor mounts.

What is the difference between the harder nylon or aluminum mounts, and the rubber mounts?
Dave_Darling
The drivetrain won't move around as much. In particular, if you're replacing the trans mounts (the 911 "sport mounts" won't replace the front ones in a 73+ car!) the shifting should be more precise and less affected by loads on the car. The downside is more noise transmitted from the trans to the chassis. Possibly more vibration and harshness as well, but definitely more noise.

--DD
GeorgeRud
I used the sport rubber mounts up front on my Rich Johnson mount, and the nylon ones back at the transmission mounts ( the ones made for the 914 by WEVO). Provides nice shifting, not too much noise or vibration.
chris914
I have the WEVO mounts, very nice mounts and very nice person.
ConeDodger
I used the JWest front mounts when I installed the new 2270 Raby Kit motor. My dentist appointment is next week sad.gif .

Actually, for what they do they are fine. If you have a dedicated autocross car that you trailer to the event or you absolutely have to have that last .01 second...
If you street drive the car they are a bit harsh. I will keep them because I probably will build a dedicated car someday. But, new rubber OEM will go in soon.
john rogers
Besides a bit more noise, a big drawback of solid mounts is twisting of the engine/transmission assembly if the car flexes and twists. If there is a full cage installed and some rear bracing then the issue is not so great but if the body flexes a lot, I.E. lifting the front wheel, etc, then accelerated R&P wear can occur.
sean_v8_914
I had them on my AX car. although she is primarily an AX car, I do like a twisty road every now and then. they are harsh and should be reserved for dedicated track cars. I removed them on my car and on several other customers cars. John brought up something I had not thought of. when we modify one thing, it can change or influence something else. a car is a system, not a series of components.
gary gartner

So, guys, are the 911 sportmounts a good replacement for OEM trans mounts???
I just replaced old tattered OEM in my 75 with weltmeister and do not like the noise I get with Weltmeister.
will the 911 sports return me to the quiet I used to enjoy???
TIA
Gary
nein14
I just replaced the stock rubber mount with the JWest Nylon ones.

The car already had the 911 sport mounts on the tranny, I took it one set further and modified the engine bar (shortened the ends) and installed the 911 sport mounts there also. Everything feels more positive. driving.gif
purple
I have a set of the hard nylons. I also have a decent set of stock rubbers for the engine.

The tranny has broken rubbers that look original that i'm replacing with the windrush mounts (the look GORGEOUS) I had planned to put in the hard nylons too.

The nearest track to me is around 60 miles away. The teener will be a fun car for nice days drives to work as well as going to the track. Would I be better served by the rubbers or the nylons for the engine? The tranny will have the wevo mounts either way
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 13 2007, 08:37 AM) *

I used the JWest front mounts when I installed the new 2270 Raby Kit motor. My dentist appointment is next week sad.gif .

Actually, for what they do they are fine. If you have a dedicated autocross car that you trailer to the event or you absolutely have to have that last .01 second...
If you street drive the car they are a bit harsh. I will keep them because I probably will build a dedicated car someday. But, new rubber OEM will go in soon.

I wouldn't say teeth chattering, but yes, the Jwest mounts are going back on the shelf and I'm putting rubber front mounts back in the next time the motor's out. I've always run nylon mounts at the transaxle, and I've never noticed much additional noise or vibration from that mod.

Great for a track car, just not worth it for the street. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain too! The 914's my daily driver though, and it's on the long trips where it really starts to bug me.
Joe Ricard
I have polyethelene (Plastic cutting board) for motor mounts and some fairly solid rear mounts of my making. (aluminum plate and rubber surounded by pipe section welded to the plate). Put 27,000 miles on them. Life was good till I put 300 lb springs and solid trailing arm bushings in it.
SirAndy
my 3.6L and 901 tranny are held in place by 4 911 sport mounts.
two for the motor using the Rich Johnson bulkhead motor mount and two used as tranny mounts.

IMHO, for a street driven car, solid mounts are overkill and too harsh.

the 911 sportmounts are a nice compromise have worked very well for me so far.
bye1.gif Andy
J P Stein
I use the Sport mounts up front and Wevos in the rear. I'm gonna switch the front to Wevos. I feel the sport mounts are allowing the front of the motor to move around too much. NVH is not a big concern on the shitbox, but the Wevos are a good compromise.
slim72914
Does anyone make polyurethane bushings like they make for all the chevy v8s??? If not someone should get on that....
Anyone have an injection molding machine not doing anything????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.