Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Luggage rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Racer
I have seen over the years, 914s with a luggage rack on the rear trunk lid.

Where these Factory items? Dealer installed items? Both? Would there presence be confirmed by a COA/Kardex? Only by a dealer sales slip?

Thanks!
Beamer13
Good question!! I actually have one that has a luggage rack. It is a 74 1.8
JeffBowlsby
Aftermarket only...dealer-installed...not on the COA. Made by Amco.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...Accessories.htm

davep
You want one? Or a ski rack?
Eric_Shea
Calling Mr. Blizzard... white (as in lots of snow) courtesy phone please.
Beamer13
Well, that could be me? I am from Wisconsin?
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 17 2007, 10:50 PM) *

TJB/914
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Dec 17 2007, 09:38 PM) *

Eric & Beamer, you guys crack me up.
Ok, you got me to post on my original dealer installed Luggage Rack. My research shows it was installed at the dealer when new. I can't find the mfg. name at the moment, but it was the premium model luggage rack from the dealer. I kept it on when I restored my car because there were about (20) mounting holes to fill & I also feel it breaks up the back-end flatness of the 914's rear. Someday I hope to make an old style reed picnic basket to carry bottles of "two buck charlie wine" when I meet up with Eric. av-943.gif

Hope Pat is looking, because my goal in life is for Mr.CW to install a Luggage rack & rear fog light on his original 914 so he can win a trophy @ PCA Parade. wacko.gif Pat needs, bling, bling in your life to win.

Tom
BTW: We just dug out of our 10"-12" snow storm in MI & meeting this afternoon with Gary & Glenn to have our Christmas coffee with 914 puff lies, etc. Good friends and 914 buddy's for life.
TJB/914
Hey Racer,

I forgot to add you to this message. flag.gif

It's really a personal choice, some love it & some don't. Guys like Pat Garvey & Jeff Bowlsby are by the book CW's, they do not agree & I am ok with that.
Only add one if feel comfortable with accessories. The fun in adding these options it makes your 914 different.

Tom
Beamer13
Mine actually looks a little different than yours. It will more than likely be coming off once I am done with everything else?? It probably wouldn't look as nice with the flares on??
Click to view attachment
Racer
I asked only because my "new to me" 914 has one. Looks like one of the ones that Jeff had a link to. I have no paperwork of it in my pile of receipts. I usually don't like them, but I don't mind it. Looks like it may have been powdercoated black, vs silver/chrome.
Sleepin
Mine looks quite different, quite possibly a later add-on....going to disappear with my repaint!

IPB Image
Challe
I found a Luggage Rack in the Porsche 911/914 accessories catalog from 1972, some pics from that catalog at Pelican Parts web
Anyone seen the Bumper guard rails ?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/literature/acc...talog/accp9.jpg
http://www.pelicanparts.com/literature/literature_914-2.htm
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Challe @ Jan 21 2008, 02:02 AM) *

Shortly after the introduction of the 914, the PORSCHE magazine Christophorus had a photo of 914s on an auto show display exhibit. One of the 914s was elevated on one end to display the mid-engine location (I'm presuming). The other 914 was shown normally. The photo showed the 914 with those "bumper guard rails". The locale of the show was not identified. I've never seen a set in person, only in photos or cataloged in an accessory brochure. They certainly existed, but were likely a dealer add option, as opposed to a factory installation.

Paul
slackin' at work
QUOTE(Challe @ Jan 21 2008, 05:02 AM) *

I found a Luggage Rack in the Porsche 911/914 accessories catalog from 1972, some pics from that catalog at Pelican Parts web

I just saw a bumper guard for sale. I was like: huh?
Im not sure where I saw if for sale.
either here, 914club, samba, or ebay.
probably 4-6 weeks back.
It was black... and part of a small group of parts for sale.

sorry I can't be any more help than that.

would be cool to see on a car.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Challe @ Jan 21 2008, 07:02 AM) *

There is a set on ebay right now for sale. They are NOS, and look to be pretty reasonable in value.
I think, personally, I would not put on a set, unless I had some previous holes to fill , as the LOOK is somewhat subjective.

I , as my friends will attest, am a little overboard on simplicity, whether original equipment, or aftermarket. Maybe its the partial German ancestory in me.........
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 18 2007, 07:44 AM) *

Ok, you got me to post on my original dealer installed Luggage Rack. My research shows it was installed at the dealer when new. I can't find the mfg. name at the moment, but it was the premium model luggage rack from the dealer. I kept it on when I restored my car because there were about (20) mounting holes to fill & I also feel it breaks up the back-end flatness of the 914's rear. Someday I hope to make an old style reed picnic basket to carry bottles of "two buck charlie wine" when I meet up with Eric. av-943.gif

Hope Pat is looking, because my goal in life is for Mr.CW to install a Luggage rack & rear fog light on his original 914 so he can win a trophy @ PCA Parade. wacko.gif Pat needs, bling, bling in your life to win.

Tom
BTW: We just dug out of our 10"-12" snow storm in MI & meeting this afternoon with Gary & Glenn to have our Christmas coffee with 914 puff lies, etc. Good friends and 914 buddy's for life.

Tom,

Shouldn't those center rub strips have rubber/vinyl strips in them to cover the screws?

No luggage rack in my future (20 holes?). No rear fog. No bling!

Have you considered the front hood-mounted driving lights of the era? There was a set on Evilbay last month - coulda had them.

How about some period incorrect nerf bars? More bling!

You could also chrome the front, rear & side valences for a REALLY dramatic effect.

Just some suggestions for the "bling" man.
Pat
GWN7
Four different luggage racks?

Thomas's with the racks mounted to the lid. Beamer's side to side bars with a up turned back edge. Racer's has side to side bars and Sleepin's front to back bars.

Four different aftermarket manufactures?
TJB/914
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 21 2008, 07:58 PM) *

Four different luggage racks?

Thomas's with the racks mounted to the lid. Beamer's side to side bars with a up turned back edge. Racer's has side to side bars and Sleepin's front to back bars.

Four different aftermarket manufactures?

Hi Bruce & other rack lover's. av-943.gif

Interesting observation about different styles. I was surprised to see the 1972 914 accessory brochure & wish I had one for my collection. As to my trunk rack, I researched it to the dealer installation when new, but don't have a mfg. name. I just did a count of (18) holes in the deck lid for installation, soooo I win Pat's praise because I have more holes drilled in my deck lid. av-943.gif av-943.gif

If anyone is interested I have a spare duplicate chrome trunk rack like the one in Sleepin (Eric L) post. Good condition & reasonable $$. Contact me if interested.

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 21 2008, 06:07 PM) *

Tom

Tom,

Shouldn't those center rub strips have rubber/vinyl strips in them to cover the screws?

Have you considered the front hood-mounted driving lights of the era? There was a set on Evilbay last month - coulda had them.

You could also chrome the front, rear & side valences for a REALLY dramatic effect.

Pat

To my no bling CW buddy Pat. shades.gif

I want you to know this is Detroit the bling capital of the world. I visited the auto show & noticed a trend to add car/truck vents that are applied with adhesive. They now have them on the high end SUV's, etc. You can look at this site for more info.
www.modeauto.com
for those Buick-Style portholes & Range Rover-like grills. This stuff is big in Detroit town. I wonder how they would look on a 914???

I want to correct my luggage rack hole count, I just did a count & it's (18) 1/8" dia. holes. There are no rubber rub strips on my rack, because the holes are countersunk below the surface.

Anyway my no bling 914-buddy I am done with accessories on my 914. I am now looking at more Raby hp. stirthepot.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 22 2008, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 21 2008, 06:07 PM) *

Tom

Tom,

Pat

To my no bling CW buddy Pat. shades.gif

I want you to know this is Detroit the bling capital of the world. I visited the auto show & noticed a trend to add car/truck vents that are applied with adhesive. They now have them on the high end SUV's, etc. You can look at this site for more info.
www.modeauto.com
for those Buick-Style portholes & Range Rover-like grills. This stuff is big in Detroit town. I wonder how they would look on a 914???

I want to correct my luggage rack hole count, I just did a count & it's (18) 1/8" dia. holes. There are no rubber rub strips on my rack, because the holes are countersunk below the surface.

Anyway my no bling 914-buddy I am done with accessories on my 914. I am now looking at more Raby hp. stirthepot.gif

Tom

Tom,

Yeah, you talk the talk, but I can already see the Buick portholes in the forward edges of your quarter panels, to get more air to the Raby (rabid?) motor. You could also add some curb feelers with blinking LED's.

Sorry, you KNOW I'm jerking your chain.....though I wouldn't put it past you.

Pat
JeffBowlsby
I believe there was only one luggage rack specifically designed for the 914, it was made by Amco. The Amco rack is the only one I have seen 914-related literature on. It has mount points and special brackets that mount to the reinforcements under the deck lid which are obviously intentionally planned.

The other racks look to be generic racks found on many different cars of the day, or possibly racks made for other cars - MGs, Triumphs etc and just bolted on to the 914 becasue thery were available to their owners or convenient for the dealers. Just like the rubber side molding strips that were so common back then. wink.gif
Sleepin
Mine is definetly not reinforced. Matter of fact it is going to take a bit of bodywork to repair the holes when I repaint it. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about the luggage rack. I would never use it, but it kinda adds that classic feel to the car.
bembry
I'm pretty sure mine is one of the dealer add on types, and for a 914 (seen it in ads). I've seen this one with reinforcement tabls for underside of decklid, but I bought mine from someone online years ago and it didn't come with them. I also mounted it further back than I've seen others mounted. I wanted it more centered. The others I've seen are mounted with the front mounts all the way to the leading edge of the decklid. Doesn't look good to me mounted like like that though. I like the rack and do agree with an earlier post that it helps to break up the flatness.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Steve73
Bembry I think i have the exact same rack on my black '72 I'm thinking of selling it and the trunk lid with it. Anyone interested get in line now smile.gif

Stephen

[quote name='bembry' date='Jul 28 2012, 09:26 AM' post='1716005']
I'm pretty sure mine is one of the dealer add on types, and for a 914 (seen it in ads).
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Dec 18 2007, 09:50 AM) *

Mine actually looks a little different than yours. It will more than likely be coming off once I am done with everything else?? It probably wouldn't look as nice with the flares on??
Click to view attachment

That's the one I have too. Only mine doesn't ride so high on the trunk. It's more to the rear than the engine lid. All chrome. Nice rack (no pun intended). smile.gif

Thinking of selling mine if interested.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(bembry @ Jul 28 2012, 09:26 AM) *

I'm pretty sure mine is one of the dealer add on types, and for a 914 (seen it in ads). I've seen this one with reinforcement tabls for underside of decklid, but I bought mine from someone online years ago and it didn't come with them. I also mounted it further back than I've seen others mounted. I wanted it more centered. The others I've seen are mounted with the front mounts all the way to the leading edge of the decklid. Doesn't look good to me mounted like like that though. I like the rack and do agree with an earlier post that it helps to break up the flatness.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I have the exact same one. Thinking of selling it. Came in handy on a few trips to the airport. smile.gif
tumamilhem
And I agree about having it back. Mine's right about where yours is, maybe a tad farther back.

I'm getting another car but don't want to drill holes in the lid. I'd like to have the feet welded to two thin strips of metal with rubber on the underside for protection and grip that grasp the sides of the trunk going from one side to the other. That way it is secure, removable if desired and leaves no holes.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 20 2007, 06:42 PM) *

I asked only because my "new to me" 914 has one. Looks like one of the ones that Jeff had a link to. I have no paperwork of it in my pile of receipts. I usually don't like them, but I don't mind it. Looks like it may have been powdercoated black, vs silver/chrome.

This is the same one I have, but it is the chrome finish. Very nice luggage rack. Came in handy on a few trips to the airport too! smile.gif

I had it on my red '75 that I have up for sale in the classifieds (see link in signature). Am selling it separately. Nice rack in chrome finish if you want one. It was originally a Porsche dealer option.

This rack does not require so many holes as the other one with raised bars screwed into the rear lid. Only in the four feet on this one.

Actually, if I could find a way to make two long, thin rails for the feet to screw into and rubberize the bottom and have the rails go to the edge of the lid and catch the sides (so it will be secure without drlling holes) also making it easily removable, I'd keep it and use it when needed. I don't want to drill holes into my LE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.