Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing rear wheel studs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I need longer rear wheel studs - can they be removed with the hubs still in the car? There was a recent article in Excellence where they simply removed the caliper and rotor and pounded them out, then used a steel (open topped) lug nut with a spacer to pull the new stud in to the hub..... but that was on a 911.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 14 2007, 12:07 PM) *

I need longer rear wheel studs - can they be removed with the hubs still in the car? There was a recent article in Excellence where they simply removed the caliper and rotor and pounded them out, then used a steel (open topped) lug nut with a spacer to pull the new stud in to the hub..... but that was on a 911.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

yepp, works like a charm. i did the 100mm studs on my car that way. the front is easy, on the rear, you have to rotate the hub just right, there's only one spot where the long studs will clear the trailing arm. it's not a straight shot, but they will slide in. i put some locktite around the beveled part of the studs and pulled them in with a old steel nut. you'll need a spacer for that as the thread doesn't go all the way down ...

bye1.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
Scott S
THANKS ANDY
jgara962
What length are you putting in? I saved that article and was going to use that method to put longer studs in my front hubs. I've got 7 x 15 Fuchs with 1/4" spacers, but want to fill my front flares a little more.
Cap'n Krusty
Remember, every time you whack the hub (or the studs) you shorten the life of the wheel bearing. I'm NOT making this up. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 14 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Remember, every time you whack the hub (or the studs) you shorten the life of the wheel bearing. I'm NOT making this up. The Cap'n

that was a concern of mine, luckily, mine all came out with just some light tapping on the studs ...
smile.gif Andy
Tom
You might try putting a short socket behind the stud and putting a C-clamp on the stud and socket and appling some pressure, then lightly tap the C-clamp to get it to break loose.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.