Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery charger in lighter socket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
...that works in other car lighter sockets can be used on a teener? I don't want to have issues with fuses etc. and would like to know if any of you have tried this. I don't drive my original condition 73 on KY roads during wet/salty winter season, and such a device would be much more convenient in this application. confused24.gif
GeorgeRud
Current VWs come with a plug in solar panel charger to keep their battery charged while the car sits on the ship or on the lot, so it can be done. If the lighter socket is live when the key is out, a solar charger should be fine I would think.

Harbor Freight has one for a reasonable price. I've never tried it with other chargers, but I imagine a low amperage trickle charger would be OK.

Harbor Freight also has a small, light battery maintainer that I've used successfully for several years as my cars are also stored over the winter.
ejm
There is no power to the lighter socket with the key off. So with no connection to the battery that kind of charger won't work. The battery posts are easy to get to, why not use one that has clips?
Jamie
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 14 2007, 09:14 PM) *

There is no power to the lighter socket with the key off. So with no connection to the battery that kind of charger won't work. The battery posts are easy to get to, why not use one that has clips?

That's what I'm currently doing, but there have been occasions when the clips have snapped off while under the car cover, creating a serious fire hazard.
alpha434
I have one of the new VW solar panels.

It plugs into the odb-II socket that allows for sensor readings. There are a few prongs there that are always on.

It's not really a hassle to cut the odb-II plug off and then hard wire it to a switch that disconnects it before allowing the car to start. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ideally, I'd like to solar panel the roof, and then get rid of the generator. Free up some hp, and gas mileage in one easy step. Plus be cooler than all your friends.
Jamie
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Dec 15 2007, 08:48 AM) *

I have one of the new VW solar panels.

It plugs into the odb-II socket that allows for sensor readings. There are a few prongs there that are always on.

It's not really a hassle to cut the odb-II plug off and then hard wire it to a switch that disconnects it before allowing the car to start. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ideally, I'd like to solar panel the roof, and then get rid of the generator. Free up some hp, and gas mileage in one easy step. Plus be cooler than all your friends.

A solar charger wouldn't be much help for a teener hibernating in a dark garage for the winter?
Rand
Personally, I wouldn't leave the battery in the car if I was going to put it on a tender over the winter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.