Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine's out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
I decided to remove the engine to clean it up a little bit. It has just over 80k miles on it. Any suggestions on things I should do now that are near impossible to do once the engine is in? Some items already on the list are:

Clean up hell hole area
Replace rear brake lines (fronts already done)
Replace clutch / pressure plate
Adjust valves
Chase oil leak dripping on pass heat exchanger.
Replace vacuum and fuel lines.
????

I don't want this to turn into a major project, just enough to enjoy the winter here in FL. I plan on doing a more thorough restoration when I finish my 71E.

beerchug.gif

Thanks,
Brian
URY914
"I don't want to turn this into a major project"

Famous last words... av-943.gif
toon1
Replace all the P/R tube seals. remove all the tin, clean and inspect.

Remove the heads the and replace the head gaskets.

While youre there remove the cyl's, hone and put new rings. Pull the lifters and inspect the cam for wear.

Inspect the valve guides and seats @ 80k it's about that time.

Check the front and rear main

Wlile you have it out, split the case and put in a new cam.

since you have it apart, replace all the bearings.

Might as well put in some 96's and a Raby cam, since it's apart.

Maybe a 2.0 crank and some stroker rods.

happy11.gif biggrin.gif

Just kidding BUT that is the way it goes sometimes
toon1
OH yea!, replace the engine bay/ tin seals. repaint the engine bay, replace the trailing arm bushings and rebuild the rear brakes.

Ispect the clutch tube @ the fire wall, replace the heater control cable seals and the E brake cable seals.

It never ends happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
Degrease and repaint the engine bay. Something brite to reflect what little light gets in there.

Degrease and repaint the tin, again something brite. Nothing hides problems like a black engine bay, and black tin.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Also, this would be a good time to remove the plastic tunnel fuel lines, and replace with stainless steel tubing. Also, check your shifter bushings. If they are cracked, worn or broken, now would be the time to replace them.

Zach
sean_v8_914
fire wall shift bushing
Sparky
***Warning Warning Warning***

This is where Dirk Wrights Disease takes hold!!

"since I've got this apart..."

Next thing you know it's $6500 later, chrome calipers, boxes of parts and nothing put back together.

drunk.gif
tod914
replace the oil cooler seals
BK911
You'll never believe this.. The hell hole is much worst than I thought! It doesn't look structural, but it is ugly. So on to Plan B, eBay! Just kidding. Some por-15 and put her back together to enjoy the weather. Once I finish up another project, I'll take her off the road for a proper restoration.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you think of anything else, it's not too late. Im still taking off the tin. Some of the screws are being difficult.

Does the flywheel really penetrate the case? That seems odd. On a -6 the crank goes through the case.

Toon1: You read my mind. If you carb it you should cam it. If you've gone that far, may as well bore it, stroke it and get some better heads.
rfuerst911sc
Hey Brian how's things going? Haven't talked in a while. If you don't get going I'll finish my /6 before you get yours done. Just kidding. If you need anything just holler.
Chris Pincetich
The firewall shift bushing, wiring harness repairs, and battery tray...throttle and clutch cables are easy to swap now if they are 30 years old. You started with a good list already. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.